Author Topic: Feedback Wanted - Ultimate Pigg Explorer  (Read 2786 times)

bearpounder

• Minion
Feedback Wanted - Ultimate Pigg Explorer
« on: March 27, 2017, 07:50:55 PM »
So this task has become rather mammoth. It started off with just the goal of adding a wee bit more functionality than the other pigg programs out there have. Then as I got into developing, I was provided more information on how parts of the system work and now the goals have changed a bit. One of the most relevant issues at hand being what file format to export to. As it sits right now, I can successfully load up a geo model, View it (sort of), click a button and have all models, texture definitions and related images exported to a folder. For the moment the export is OBJ. Pretty simple and straight forward to convert from the GEO.MODEL format. it seems however that there are some drawbacks. For instance I work primarily in blender, and while I can import the OBJ files fine, I find myself constantly having to run down and load up the texture/image files for the models (using cycles btw). Its rather time consuming and frankly I really want to just be able to export the model out, Load it in blender and its all there... images, textures, bump maps, secular maps, the whole nine yards ready to work with.

So, I am contemplating what is the best file format to use. I am taking a hard look at FBX. I know it can bring all the above info with it and it has the bonus of being able to contain animations. (Yes, I do intend to tackle  the animation files).

But with that said are there any other viable formats out there?

Also if there is anything you might be useful to throw into this thing now is the time to speak up. I could also benefit from a few testers as well. The draw back being I am writing this in VB.NET (at present VS2010 but I might jump up to 2017) so its pretty much only going to work with a windows system. (Currently running 10)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: Feedback Wanted - Ultimate Pigg Explorer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 02:13:10 AM »
I'd give testing a try.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 04:10:06 AM »
This would be low priority for your purposes, but a browse mode where you can load a Geo, Texture and display a preview of what it would look like (don't know if there's a low resolution 3D object library out there to just spit out a 2D image of it) to see it without opening Paragon Chat.

Costume DB Editors would make a statue in your honor.  In any medium you'd prefer (cement, marble... feta cheese?)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

bearpounder

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:03:53 AM »
Do you mean like this except with the texture applied to the model? (working on it...)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 05:48:56 AM »
Looks like that's it. :D
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran