Author Topic: Hi  (Read 13597 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: Hi
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 12:35:15 AM »
Well I did just level a toon to 40 that I hope to use as a tank.  :)

Honestly, I haven't found anything else out there that scratches my super hero itch better than CO does right now.

And to be honest, none of the successor games are promising the degree of customization we already have in CO in terms of Travel powers. I haven't heard any of them talking about whether or not we're going to have much variety in textures either such as metal, leather, cloth, ghost, ice, shadow ....

And the unique materials of ghost, ice, shadow can be purchased simply by playing the game and earning Q. There are a large number of travel powers that can be unlocked in the same way. And it's also possible to have certain pieces either drop from baddies or be purchasable with Silver Champs Recognition which can be earned-- you guessed it-- by playing the game.

That's really pretty generous if you ask me.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 12:42:25 AM »
Well I did just level a toon to 40 that I hope to use as a tank.  :)

Honestly, I haven't found anything else out there that scratches my super hero itch better than CO does right now.

And to be honest, none of the successor games are promising the degree of customization we already have in CO in terms of Travel powers. I haven't heard any of them talking about whether or not we're going to have much variety in textures either such as metal, leather, cloth, ghost, ice, shadow ....

And the unique materials of ghost, ice, shadow can be purchased simply by playing the game and earning Q. There are a large number of travel powers that can be unlocked in the same way. And it's also possible to have certain pieces either drop from baddies or be purchasable with Silver Champs Recognition which can be earned-- you guessed it-- by playing the game.

That's really pretty generous if you ask me.

Q prices which I felt were a bit insane.  I never actually enjoyed the unique travels much in CO, swinging had clunkiness issues over time and the whole silver/gold champ recognition of late is so extreme a grind I feel CO makes you not only play in ludicrous raids which are only for those with already perfect gear but also force the holy trinity on everyone.  Just as well play WoW.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 04:20:03 AM »
So, in summation:

That's 2, for, 'we're really burnt out on CO".

And 1, for, 'log in and look (at the changes) for yourself'.

Umm thanks?

hehe!

: )

Well, I will be logging in soon again.. my sub-forum fans will be thrilled to know *delusionally hears Forum Malvanum-like cheering in the background*. Probably next month, sometime. Have to run a few dozen Grab!(the money? or is it Smash! into the bank.. Why, did they have to make one name change that appears to have left me confused forever) for practice, first thing. See if I can still maintain agro a decent amount of the time. For ego strokage and current gear worth checkage.. hotkey checkage, and, just practice. Ya know.

And then I'll probly slip back out as silently as I did last time.

Hang on to your hats! And then adjust them forward...now rock... *z-snaps all chairs of those reading this into rocking chairs* *sings lullaby*. OK that wasn't as exciting as I'd hoped for.
Xev, if you are adding me to being burnt out over co, you are wrong. I am beyond pancaked off, this game had all of the chances to get better, and all PWE, Cryptic, Atari, did was the bare minimum. Under PWE's ownership, they let the forum cartel, become the ONLY voice that the devs had/s.
I gave up City of. for co, because I saw the real potential in it to become so much better then City of. Now years later and all co is/has done is the bare minimum.
So for me to quit playing co, was not do to being burnt out, it came in a few factors, one the forum cartel, pretty much made sure I never speak up again, after being called a troll asking for proof of something I never said. Two, the near nonexistent development, and three moving on to other games.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »
Q prices which I felt were a bit insane.  I never actually enjoyed the unique travels much in CO, swinging had clunkiness issues over time and the whole silver/gold champ recognition of late is so extreme a grind I feel CO makes you not only play in ludicrous raids which are only for those with already perfect gear but also force the holy trinity on everyone.  Just as well play WoW.

They did raise the Q prices to a higher level than I like, but the only thing you have to have Merc Gear or better on are Cosmics. (My ranged TK toon only has has Mercenary Gear and he was consistently placing in the top ten in the Snake Gulch Mechanon Event that recently ran.)

Not everyone is going to love everything about a game. In COX I did not care to run the Incarnate Raids, but there were dozens-- hundreds-- of people who loved that sort of thing.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 05:21:45 PM »

They did raise the Q prices to a higher level than I like, but the only thing you have to have Merc Gear or better on are Cosmics. (My ranged TK toon only has has Mercenary Gear and he was consistently placing in the top ten in the Snake Gulch Mechanon Event that recently ran.)

Not everyone is going to love everything about a game. In COX I did not care to run the Incarnate Raids, but there were dozens-- hundreds-- of people who loved that sort of thing.

It's not so much what is a minimum in theory but what becomes a minimum by unwritten rules in mmorpgs.  For instance, guild wars 1 you had to have rank 3 in heroes ascent to play heroes ascent.  In order to get that rank requires playing heroes ascent.  Why?  Because players forced it for a time.  This created a cruel catch 22 for newcomers.

The same tends to happen in raid content, I wouldn't be surprised if butt-heads ask for people to have justice gear for the cosmic raids.  A given most people wouldn't be that stupid, but I've seen communities shove catch-22's on others before like that.  It's the second worst form of elitism(the forum cartel behavior Angel Phoenix77 speaks of tops that many times over).

But elitism in general goes hand-in-hand with forum cartel behavior to, even if it qualifies as scrub-like(that is, getting nerfs to anything they don't like and only buffing there own stuff).  Heck i don't even count the raids as proper challenging gameplay design, because it's only there for munchkins who just wanna make themselves uber, rather than challenge(as in hard but also fair) in the rest of the game from 1-40 which CO has lacked for years.

It isn't just the game or a small bit of content that drives me away from it.  It's also the behavior of those players who have the devs ear which drive sensible players away from it in combination.  I even made a post recently about it.  CO is a sum of it's parts, not just the game itself but it's community.  Since it's forum cartel have made the game only for them and got everything else nerfed into uselessness, well there is a reason so few people actually care for CO anymore at all.

In short in my post: CO's content has always been dry and based exclusively on pop culture references.  It played a lot like WoW in quest content.  The game didn't even mask that it's a game.  The game treated the player character like a mary sue, and the overall content was very, very easy for anyone using optimal powers(while difficult for others for the wrong reasons).  The game got easier for all, except maybe archtypes but even then, power creep made it even easier.  This complete lack of challenge caused many players to become more anti-social as there was no incentive to ask for help or help others.

Combined with the game treating you like a mary sue, I feel it created many of the forum cartels we see, although I heard some were deplorable even before CO and had to be ran out of the forums.  Ultimately though, they began to become excessively arrogant wanting extreme hard content exclusively for themselves and balance changes made to effect the rest of the game to make everyone play only like them.  A lot of them turned narcissistic and SHFGish/scrubish.  In the end, CO became the game it is today, a money-hungry scam which is only run by a forum cartel everyone knows to be scrubs/shfg's.

And I don't mind hard and challenging(hard but fair and skill based) gameplay, but when it's made exclusively for a few shfg's, screw it.  Thats more in the category of punishing(unfair, trial error based, that is hard but unfair).  SHFG's/scrubs of mmorpgs love it when they are the only ones who succeed in things and out-right hate when others can with effort and learning.  And that separates the CO raid content from CoX's incarnate trials; CoX's incarnate trials were made to be challenging and for everyone to be able to beat them if they were willing to learn.  Only the underground trial failed at that.  CO's raid content is more "There is only one strategy and we will make sure everyone only plays exactly one way and it's holy trinity like every other mmorpg hahaha!". 

In contrast, CoX the opposite happened, it's community grew and evolved and became both stronger and it's individuals were better overall.  I'll let people find the post though rather than share here, if you want I'll share only in private message.  The reason is I figure some CO deplorables would come here as they sometimes do.  I will say though, it's far to late for CO to do anything, because the community it has now?  It's stuck with em, if it tries to turn itself around it'd have to get rid of them.  They certainly won't let that happen.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 11:23:33 PM »
  I will say though, it's far to late for CO to do anything, because the community it has now?  It's stuck with em, if it tries to turn itself around it'd have to get rid of them.  They certainly won't let that happen.

The people you have a problem with and I have had a problem with aren't what I would call The community. I don't think so anyway. I lost a good hour of prime tradeskilling time this morning (bonus XP weekends are good for business..) to a CO channel due to following chat from people that I would consider a big part of The community. Due to they've been around since way before me and after me and seem to always play regularly.

Just thought I'd toss that out there. Also, the death of CO has been predicted well before I started playing, and all throughout, and still is being predicted to happen. It surely will, die, eventually. All things do. Hopefully not before we've moved on to a gaming form that transcends today's traditional PC/Consoles.

So what's the name of the new uber mini-zone? Is there anything noteworthy about it?
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 11:39:57 PM »
The people you have a problem with and I have had a problem with aren't what I would call The community. I don't think so anyway. I lost a good hour of prime tradeskilling time this morning (bonus XP weekends are good for business..) to a CO channel due to following chat from people that I would consider a big part of The community. Due to they've been around since way before me and after me and seem to always play regularly.

Just thought I'd toss that out there. Also, the death of CO has been predicted well before I started playing, and all throughout, and still is being predicted to happen. It surely will, die, eventually. All things do. Hopefully not before we've moved on to a gaming form that transcends today's traditional PC/Consoles.

So what's the name of the new uber mini-zone? Is there anything noteworthy about it?

It's the Qlipthoth (sp?) Zone. You can reach it through the Until Building. Just go downstairs and follow the corridor that's to the left of the teleporter that takes you to the Cislunar Satellite.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 02:56:30 PM »
It's the Qlipthoth (sp?) Zone. You can reach it through the Until Building. Just go downstairs and follow the corridor that's to the left of the teleporter that takes you to the Cislunar Satellite.

Isn't that purple Andrith? The zone with the Witchcraft and friends Dailies that give a trickle of GCR that I was soloing with several toons until the math got to me?

QWZ.... right?

That doesn't qualify for New even by CO standards... : )

Isn't there a new lair? And don't say TA! hehe
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 02:44:33 AM »
Yeah I've pretty much come to the same conclusions laughingalex has. CO has decayed so much I've actually been enjoying DCUO, but unfortunately that game constantly locks up and crashes on my machine for some reason (I can run much more demanding games with no issues) so I feel forced to give CO another look, but I log in and I'm just overcome with dissapointment at the shitty design of what they call "endgame"

You know I used to do it anyway just because I was dying for SOMETHING to do but that's not enough anymore. I actually need some kind of quality from the content I play now and CO isn't the game which has it.

I love my characters, and I log in mostly to check on them and maybe occasionally RP. but that's about all I can bring myself to do.

Also, hi Alex, I apologize for ignoring you in game, it was a dumb thing someone convinced me to do, and I probably should not have believed a word said person said. I know you don't log on much anymore but you're basically right about almost everything you said about CO lol. I've come to the same conclusions after enough time seeing the direction the game is headed with the stingy PWE overlords starving the game to death.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 04:10:11 AM »
Yeah I've pretty much come to the same conclusions laughingalex has. CO has decayed so much I've actually been enjoying DCUO, but unfortunately that game constantly locks up and crashes on my machine for some reason (I can run much more demanding games with no issues) so I feel forced to give CO another look, but I log in and I'm just overcome with dissapointment at the shitty design of what they call "endgame"

You know I used to do it anyway just because I was dying for SOMETHING to do but that's not enough anymore. I actually need some kind of quality from the content I play now and CO isn't the game which has it.

I love my characters, and I log in mostly to check on them and maybe occasionally RP. but that's about all I can bring myself to do.

Also, hi Alex, I apologize for ignoring you in game, it was a dumb thing someone convinced me to do, and I probably should not have believed a word said person said. I know you don't log on much anymore but you're basically right about almost everything you said about CO lol. I've come to the same conclusions after enough time seeing the direction the game is headed with the stingy PWE overlords starving the game to death.

It's ok man.  I felt some CO players were gaslighting, heck one i thought was friend turned out to do just that.  At times I feel CO itself has been fairly prone to mislead us in some way. It even brought some of the worst out of me and if I took it out on you anywhere I apologize.

It really stings me that they spend all there time recycling old content and making extreme grinds which, even if someone has success all the time, it's still grindy.  Not to mention since I hear people asking for healers all the time I'm left thinking "Ok so it's same as guild wars" or wow.  I always couldn't help but feel that some players just don't understand that other players aren't going to all want the same thing.  And they often tended to be the most vocal.

I admit the line was crossed for me with the vehicle nerfs after 2.0.  I mean 2.0 I admit wasn't perfect, but I never meant for them to over-buff the vehicles and then nerf them to uselessness after people spent way to much on them.  It really made me snap.  I mean heck, even that one post....I never even asked to make the vehicles into tanks.  Course I feel responsible somewhat, but just can't help but feel that I had no way of knowing they'd twist the whole idea.

Then course I saw the SHFG's twisting the game further to be fun only for themselves, it turned me away from caring anymore and left me just hostile feeling towards the game and it's players.  I log in, see melee buffed heavily and ranged sets like PA(a set i loved when I started playing the game) and even munitions nerfed or given boring "single target blast" powers which no one smart uses, well....it's like why even bother with anything but melee?  Kinda like when melee was the only way to play after melee forms were introduced and melee did far, far higher damage than range so much so that, combined with lunges, made ranged pointless.

Feels like a repeat of all the things that happened just before I returned to CoX.  Only this time I'm almost never playing anymore.

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 04:26:34 AM »
It's not even the nerfs which really get to me. it's the fact the content itself is so shallow and punishing rather than challenging, and the fact I know there's not much hope of it improving.

As long as PWE owns CO, they'll continue to starve it, and we'll be left with Kaiserin being the only dev who cares, and as much as she might care for the game, she does not have much experience in game design, and she's working almost alone, and it shows in the content.

I still would enjoy playing my (nerfed) power armor character if there was engaging and CHALLENGING content to play. She still can put out a very respectable 5-6k dps.

Honestly in a game like CO I think melee probably should do more damage given the fact ranged doesn't have to deal with the crappy cast times games like WoW impose on you, and they can do the damage from 50-100 feet away.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »
Honestly in a game like CO I think melee probably should do more damage given the fact ranged doesn't have to deal with the crappy cast times games like WoW impose on you, and they can do the damage from 50-100 feet away.

If you got your way, I think that would suck. (I have Justice geared melee And ranged and like playing both fwiw). I could go into the reasons why but the point is, to make one person happy, many times you have to make at least one person unhappy.

When I first started playing CO and for ~ 4 years after I was in bliss. I could have ran the same content over and over and over. It was the "I think they should's" that finally got me.

CO is a great game at its core. It allows you to make a pretty great comic book hero and have fun and look cool while playing it. It has a fair amount of old-timers who are still active players.

I was having a really good time playing CO right up until the last couple of weeks or so I played. When I played for like 2 weeks straight and had nothing but bad feelings about it, I stopped playing - rather than torture everyone else who was still enjoying the game, and, myself.

I had a good 4 years and 1000+ positive posts of fun out of CO. That's pretty darn good.

It worked out good for me that CO turned me off when it did. STO has been fairly awesome to me and I was just in time to get in on the 50th anniversary of the (real) original Star Trek. My damn ISP data limits is the only thing that ruins STO for me...  : / I'd play much more. Wayyy more PVE queues.

Some Faves:

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »
Melee already has more damage potential than ranged. Not much but a little. A ranged dps with top gear can expect to do 4-6k dps now, a melee dps can hit 7k. This is necessary to balance melee and ranged becuase melee characters have to deal with so much more crap and attacks than ranged. they really do deserve to do a little bit more damage.

I'll have to disagree with you that CO is a great game. the content is shallow and not fun at all. it's not a great game. it's an amazing character creator though.

Katzen

• Paragon Press Swimsuit Edition 2016
  • Underling
  • the fattest chinchilla in Paragon
    • My blog - Some NSFW, view at own risk.
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 07:39:33 PM »
while im extremely biased about champions (having sunk money into it and playing it regularly) it's not bad but it isn't terrible is one of my points. there are much worse MMO's out there i'd have to admit, CO doesn't also bring a lot to the table lately.

i dont know if it's just the devs not being able to juice something interesting (last main update was the content for the QWZ, but that was really only a -fraction- (and 6+ months ago?) and for people who are 40 and actually have nothing else better to do.) then again i have a fear its the whole korean marketing thing and if they do one thing wrong it's off the block with them.
hello, you may have stumbled apon my fourm profile! i'm a roleplayer - from Freedom server - main is/was Lynx the pink kitty, 50 scrapper. was in the Bulletproof SG. (?????)? / i play champs under the global @littlemissmarsh

DB editor. somewhat good at it. pm in game for @Katzen

im ALSO @littlemissmarsh on Champions Online.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
I'll have to disagree with you that CO is a great game. the content is shallow and not fun at all. it's not a great game. it's an amazing character creator though.

I totally agree to disagree.

Posted by: Katzen

Wann ich 'Katzen' sehen, denke ich auf meine kleiners, Mutzi und Kater und Mokka. Ich vermisse dich!

(sorry for any bleeding inflicted on the audio canals of any native German speakers)

Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 04:22:43 PM »
I totally agree to disagree.

Wann ich 'Katzen' sehen, denke ich auf meine kleiners, Mutzi und Kater und Mokka. Ich vermisse dich!

(sorry for any bleeding inflicted on the audio canals of any native German speakers)

What I think Zee is talking about is that CO isn't actually great, although it certainly could have been.  It's an ok game with a pretty good costume editor(although it loses on faces imo).  It is just that the content updates have been so few and small or minimal that it's flaws started to get the better of many of us.  The game had a lot of scrubs/shfg's who generally wanted to see everything nerfed before new content was released as they felt "Oh the new content would suck cause the games imbalanced".  I'm thinking "How?  How could it suck?  You could just make it more challenging and buff up the weaker stuff.  I mean the game has things like blocking, and whatnot, how about making CC viable, make buffs/debuffs more viable instead of just nerfing the good damage attacks all the time".

And I even asked for buffs to the average enemies here and there to accomidate that and avoid actual power creep.  CO needed an overhaul if you really, really wanted it to be balanced and challenging.  They really didn't need to do that much either all they had to do was give small adjustments to the base-level stats and the difficulty settings.  Skyrim redone was a mod for skyrim which saw a damage increase for everything and overall adjustment to armor, know how many people worked on it?  1.  It probably got some help with other things but 1 person was behind the overall changes and the perk adjustments.

But then they decided to just nerf the good stuff like two gun(making it an "awesome but impractical and thus useless" power that requires a player to be level 40 with awesome gear supporting energy unlocks/forms, oh they claim thats good enough to be usable, yeah right).  Or nerf already "awesome but impractical" powers like straffing run when it was already nerfed and not very useful dps.  It's like they wanted to make the game like WoW or make powersets all identical to one another with no viable nuances.  Everytime something is good thats ranged it'd get nerfed, if it was still good nerfed it'd be nerfed again(or will be given it's direction).

Instead of giving the game some general revamps for the enemies to deal with the initial power creep that came with on-alert, they just started nerfing everything back to pre-on-alert which honestly wasn't that interesting to me.  I felt melee was the only way to play because back then ranged had no toggles and a player could instantly close distance with a lunge, rendering range a foo-strategy.  A player who knows what he's doing can easily out-damage range far more than you'd think, I used to one-shot pvpers with telekinesis(the set, not the worthless power) in the day even pre-melee-pass.  Yeah.

Course they'd also have to deal with the other big problem I felt CO had, most enemy groups were half-clones of each other in that the nuances weren't that distinct but thats another story.  Challenging games have to obey rule consistency and CO actually doesn't in places, it's easy because many enemies don't actually hurt that much or debuff the player much in a fight, plus they die fast.  The only difficult content is content people wanting real challenging difficulty don't actually want; holy trinity grindfest raids :/.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 04:25:05 PM »

Germans.  Even when they're being sweet and affectionate, they sound angry. :D
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »
Not only what alex said, but even holy trinity raids can be done a lot better than the crap we see in CO for endgame. I've played WoW, I've played FFXIV and I've seen the huge difference in content design. I'd honestly rather be playing those games if I want a game to play. poor content design has rendered CO into nothing more than an RP engine for me.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 08:53:01 PM »

I didn't think this guy ever sounded angry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozg7gEchjuM :).

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »

Austrians have a nice soft version of German. For example, you won't hear them say 'Zee', it's a softer 'See' (trivia: that's the respectful form of 'You' - 'Zee/See' ('Sie') does not mean 'The', as in, ZEE GERMANS!). It's 'Zwo', not 'Zwei'. It's 'No, yo' not 'na ja'.

French was a language I was surprised I didn't like to hear. It was like, 'can you please remove whatever that is from your mouth before speaking?'. To be fair it has to be mentioned that the only French I heard was from a chain smoking (attractive female) telemarketer I sat across from, radio newscasters, and airport employees who seemed annoyed at anyone not speaking French (Speak 'Merican!).

Austrian German can be quite sexah.
Some Faves: