Author Topic: The new MST3K...  (Read 6031 times)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: The new MST3K...
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 08:35:18 PM »
Yeah, I would up just using some... alternate ways... to acquire and watch the episodes.   I wanted to support them (because I definitely want a Season 12), but both Netflix and MST3K customer support literally gave me no way to do so legitimately.

And now that I've seen them, I agree with the general consensus - episodes 2 and 3 are better than episode 1.  Pearl/Bobo/Brain Guy's cameo in episode 2 felt really forced, though I loved how terrible, bizarre, and terribly bizarre the movie was.  (Like how Jim had no trouble believing in Native American spirits, but Bigfoot?  No way!  "That's a fairy story, Paul!  Grow up, Paul!")

Episode 3's movie reminds me a little of This Island Earth, in that it has dirt-boring scientists interacting with an alien culture, but in this case, they're "alien" due to being from the future rather than from space.  It does, however, have some surprisingly good special effects.  It looks like a professional stage magician was involved, and, again, I mean that in a good way.  (Too bad the actual plot wasn't anywhere as good as the special effects.  It was about 90% padding)

I'm going to spread the rest of the episodes out over the course of the week.  Having watched the theatrical trailers for all of the films for the new season already, I think I'm looking forward to Starcrash and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom the most, and maybe Carnival Magic (which just sounds like a really bizarre movie).

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
I don't think even the most staunch anti-piracy person would begrudge you after kickstarter support and having a netflix sub.

The stranger things promo is worth a yuck if anyone's not seen it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkOMAQAcBKE

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »
As movies, Avalanche and Beast of Hollow Mountain suffer from the same problem - the titular menace doesn't appear until 3/4 of the way through the movie, and then it's a relatively anti-climactic affair.

As episodes of MST3K, though, they're perfect.  The riffing is getting sharper, and, yes, the characters are finally starting to gel.  I was afraid we were back to Season 0 and 1 situation where the Mads only appear at the very beginning and end, but they're starting to show up more during the episodes.  (The host segments still feel a little short and aimless, though.  They don't so much end as they just stop)

I've also picked out "The Canada Song" And "Creepy Girl" as background music for the commercial breaks.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 06:49:02 AM »
Might as well keep on rocking...

Episode 6: Starcrash.  A big dumb Star Wars ripoff with 1/10th the budget.  Surprisingly, while the Riff/Second ratio was as high as always, they missed commenting on things like the villain's resemblance to John Lovitz as Tod Spengo, the way Stella's bikini keeps gaining and losing straps from scene to scene, and how much makeup David Hasselhoff was wearing.  They also went pretty easy on both Christopher Plummer and David Hasselhoff.

The MST3K version also cut out most of the uses of L's hilarious catchphrase ("That makes me nervous"), and removed a scene where Akton talks about his ability to see the future (and in which he also explains why the ship was "malfunctioning" when Thor tried to take off).

(Compare that to the Mystery Fandom Theater 3000 riffing of the same film, which did note the straps, Hoff's makeup, and the Lovitz resemblance, and ran with the "nervous" bit.  It's also longer because it didn't cut the movie, and includes cheesy 1950s commercials during its commercial breaks.  Also, I have an easier time telling the three voices apart - Jonah just sounds too much like Vaughn-as-Servo, which is weird, because he doesn't sound a thing like Vaughn-as-himself).

All in all, though, a good episode.  I think this is my favorite movie of the season so far (though, as I said, I'm also looking forward to Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 1 and 2).

Maybe it's just me, but I almost feel like they've quietly slipped in a story arc - there's a mysterious series of numbers during the opening that nobody can figure out, Kinga's bizarre liquid recording system (as well as Kinga herself) appears to be slowly breaking down as the episodes go on, and there's repeated references to the spacesuit Jonah's building/repairing.  I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 06:54:16 AM »
Finally got around to watching one. Could do without the nerd pandering casting but it was ok I guess. Glad to see they're skewing younger with the Billie Holiday and Glen Miller.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 08:31:16 AM »
I've been chipping away at the Avalanche episode for a week now.  As much as I like NPH, the musical number and its forced-from-left-field scenario annoyed me... until TV'S Son of TV'S Frank joined in, then I was amused.  But I can only take this episode in small doses, mainly due to the movie.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
Depending on what it'd cost, I may have to give this a try.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »
It's Netflix-only (and English-language Netflix-only) for the moment.

... also, belatedly, Avalanche was one of my least favorite episodes.  (I loved Starcrash and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II.  I think I liked the fan-project MFT3K version of Starcrash a little better, though)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »
I still haven't finished the season.  I keep getting distracted.  I liked WotLK and Starcrash, but I might have liked the Hercules movie just a bit more.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.