Author Topic: The Magicians  (Read 7712 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: The Magicians
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 06:20:46 PM »
Alice has slipped to the bottom.
At this point, I think even that assessment might be generous.  She's so far down below the bottom right now that even a hint of a new recurring character being introduced ("Hi, Felicia!") is exciting because it means Alice might get less screen time.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 11:36:40 AM »
Another season finished, another big bad set up for next season.

And I really hate Alice.  Which makes me love the series even more.  I can't think of any other series that has made me go from loving to hating characters and vice versa. I can think of actors who have done that (Willa Holland comes to mind) but not actual characters.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »
I liked Grant in Agents of SHIELD and then they made me utterly despise him.

I hated Donna Noble and then she became one of the best of the Doctor's companions.

Turning in a negative direction is dangerous, though.  After Grant irredeemably turned I almost stopped watching.  And anytime he showed up from that point on it damaged my interest in whatever was going on.  It's odd that I can like to hate a character, but not if it was a character I once liked.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 09:44:32 PM »
I liked Grant in Agents of SHIELD and then they made me utterly despise him.

I hated Donna Noble and then she became one of the best of the Doctor's companions.

Turning in a negative direction is dangerous, though.  After Grant irredeemably turned I almost stopped watching.  And anytime he showed up from that point on it damaged my interest in whatever was going on.  It's odd that I can like to hate a character, but not if it was a character I once liked.

Then they did their job.

I felt exactly the same way about both.

Thought Donna was so annoying in her first story and up ended up being my favorite 10th Doctor companion.

Ward was like that Belushi SNL sketch -> "The Thing That Wouldn't Leave!"

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 12:45:12 AM »
I never stopped hating Donna.  I still hope for a reunion show where she gets back her memories and dies screaming in horrible pain as she goes insane.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 04:20:44 AM »
I finally got around to s3 (yay) just in time to have nothing to add here but early enough that i'll have forgotten it all by the time next season airs.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
I finally got around to s3 (yay) just in time to have nothing to add here but early enough that i'll have forgotten it all by the time next season airs.

Although I enjoyed the season overall I'll have to agree that it is entirely unmemorable.  Except for the musical episode. Out of all the various geek tv series that have done musical episodes the Under Pressure number was my favorite.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 07:06:21 PM »
I'd have fast-forwarded all the musical stuff were it not interspersed with non- and were i not already watching at 2.4x. So even though it was of better quality than other shows' musical stuff it was worse for me in that, eg. Barry/Kara were easily skippable.

I'm hoping there's more to S4 than the big bad they've set up, as that seems like it'll wear thin really fast.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 11:09:23 PM »
Although I enjoyed the season overall I'll have to agree that it is entirely unmemorable.  Except for the musical episode. Out of all the various geek tv series that have done musical episodes the Under Pressure number was my favorite.

I like a good musical episode.  The mere mention of this one made me confirm that the season is as yet unavailable on my streaming services (please don't bother sending me any more potential download links that I can't really use, but thanks for the thought).  The only one I've seen that I remember and indeed still occasionally sing songs from, however, is the one from Buffy.

Edit: Ah, glancing at YT it looks like it was more Glee than Galavant.  Musical, but not a musical.  And mangling Queen is unforgivable.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:18:48 PM by Tenzhi »
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 01:55:57 AM »
Does this mean an official moratorium on Rickrolling Tenzhi?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 05:36:31 AM »
Does this mean an official moratorium on Rickrolling Tenzhi?

It's not that.  On a few occasions folks have helpfully PMd me links and/or instructions to acquire series episodes that I can't really use as I don't have a PC these days and do all my watching on console.  Just trying to save folks the effort.