Author Topic: Krypton  (Read 6471 times)

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
Krypton
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »
I just found out that SyFy is currently producing a series set on Krypton before its explosion, focusing on Superman's grandfather. Figured folks may be interested.

The trailer:
https://vimeo.com/213799000

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Krypton
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »
Interesting.  I can only hope it makes its way to Hulu or Netflix.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »
I tried to watch the trailer but couldn't make it all the way through.  I discovered that I don't really care what happened on Krypton.  It's going to be, essentially, a brand new Sci-Fi series with some names I am familiar with as well as winks and nods to a character that will never appear on the show.

Perhaps it will be good on it's own merits, but I'm not going to watch it because of the name.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »
Trailer that bad? The link above has been removed and i can't find it on syfy's website either. There are reaction vids on da yoobs but I'm not watching that for the same reason I don't watch videos of other people playing video games.

I'm optimistic that it'd about have to be a better show than the cw stuff, but with the trade-off of not caring about any of the characters.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 06:24:19 PM »
What's next - an Aquaman prequel called "Man from Atlantis"?

Or a Wonder Woman one called "Fantasy Island"

switch

• Bronze Age 2016
  • Minion
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »
link dont work  it got took down quick

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 06:43:27 AM »
I tried to watch the trailer but couldn't make it all the way through.  I discovered that I don't really care what happened on Krypton.  It's going to be, essentially, a brand new Sci-Fi series with some names I am familiar with as well as winks and nods to a character that will never appear on the show.

Perhaps it will be good on it's own merits, but I'm not going to watch it because of the name.

Same with me. It's like Smallville all over again.... I'm tired with these prequels now. I wasn't interested in watching Gotham. I didn't care what happens in Gotham City before Bruce Wayne became Batman.  :roll:

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »
I would've liked Gotham more if it was just a noir police detective story featuring Jim Gordon and some other familiar faces, without trying so hard to Batman it up.  It was fun every now and then, but the novelty wore thin.

I think Krypton has more leeway.  Most anything they do gets blown up in the end.  Other than Zod, Brainiac, and maybe Doomsday, there's not a lot for them to screw with/up.  It'd be nice if they plotted their course from beginning to the definitive end, too, instead of either ending with loose threads or drifting aimlessly from season to season like it doesn't know where it's going.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »
I would've liked Gotham more if it was just a noir police detective story featuring Jim Gordon and some other familiar faces, without trying so hard to Batman it up.  It was fun every now and then, but the novelty wore thin.
So true. I loved the first season, but later struggled and eventually quit following it. It's the Batman 90's curse. Good, followed by decent, followed by bad, followed by terrible. And mostly because, imo, they misread what makes the initial show engaging, and then push all the rest too far.

Maybe this other show can address that, but it seems to me it's a common problem.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 06:16:55 PM »
Did anyone watched the pilot? If you did any thoughts? I thought it was boring.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 07:15:54 PM »
I didn't know Adam Strange was a Tigers fan. :D
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 09:05:29 PM »
Based on SyFy's success with Caprica, I'm not terribly optimistic about this working out.  In Caprica, they could do location shots with modest changes and still have it semi-modern.  I don't think Krypton has that in it's favor.

And that's ignoring if the plot is any good.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 10:07:40 PM »
I'm going to try and judge it by its own merits, but I've never found most Kryptonians very interesting.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 12:44:17 AM »
I thought it was pretty much just sci-fi cliches with DCU skin but anything's better than Gotham or the CWverse.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 02:26:43 PM »
Thew promotional photo of Brainiac should be enough to earn it a look.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
Maybe this should have been an Adam Strange project.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 07:16:02 PM »
Warner Bros. pulled down the trailer from Vimeo... they only want it seen on their website apparently.

http://www.syfy.com/krypton/videos/krypton-official-trailer-1
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
So did I miss where they explained how Adam's just walking around normally in Krypton gravity?

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 06:39:38 PM »
So did I miss where they explained how Adam's just walking around normally in Krypton gravity?

Plus he can breathe normally in Kypton's air. He should die from suffocation because humans aren't used to Kypton's atmosphere. Like when Superman had to adjust to Krypton's air when he visits Zod's spaceship in Man of Steel.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 08:54:00 PM »
Plus he can breathe normally in Kypton's air. He should die from suffocation because humans aren't used to Kypton's atmosphere. Like when Superman had to adjust to Krypton's air when he visits Zod's spaceship in Man of Steel.

Has that ever been a thing anywhere but that particular movie?