Author Topic: State of the Super Secret Purchase?  (Read 4098 times)

Septipheran

State of the Super Secret Purchase?
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:33:20 PM »
Hi guys. I was never the most popular guy here, but I've recently been missing this game again. I think it was seeing Statesman in the trailer for the new NCSoft MOBA. I honestly teared up a bit seeing our guy flying around in a game trailer again.

I seem to remember hearing that the COT folks were hatching a super secret plan to buy back the COH IP from NCSoft. I also DEFINITELY remember contributing to the COT Kickstarter and getting nothing but lore updates, but that's besides the point.

Can we at least get a comment on whether these negotiations failed, are still happening, etc?? There seems to be a trend of dangling carrots without quite accomplishing anything. Thanks guys!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: State of the Super Secret Purchase?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »
It's not the CoT people who are involved in the discussions.  Nate (aka downix, aka the president of the company developing City of Titans) and some other forum-goers introduced some intrested buyers to NCSoft, and that's all they had to do with it.

The discussion is in the Task Force Hail Mary section of the forums, particularly these topics:

New Efforts!
And the mask comes off
Purchase Attempt: Wake me up when there's news!

But there's been no real news for two years, due to what seems like the most draconian NDA in the history of NDAs, and due to Nate losing touch with the group doing the negotiating.  So nobody really knows whether the negotiations are still ongoing, apart from the people involved in them (who aren't talking, one way or the other).

(Also, if you've seen "nothing but lore updates" from the City of Titans people, you've somehow managed to miss all the gameplay updates they've been putting on their website and on their YouTube page - most recently, this video)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
Can we at least get a comment on whether these negotiations failed, are still happening, etc??

I've tried pinging Nate a couple times to see if he can get in contact with the group who was last attempting this, but never heard anything back.

So while nobody has heard anything to definitively indicate that they've given up, the lack of even a 'still working on it' update doesn't bode well.

FWIW, while I haven't had any direct contact with this particular group, due to conversations I've had with others who have tried, I've always believed NCSoft would never sell. IMO, any apparent positive feedback from them would be nothing more than 'politely' responding without any intent to actually close a deal (it's a cultural thing).

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:34:05 AM »
(Also, if you've seen "nothing but lore updates" from the City of Titans people, you've somehow managed to miss all the gameplay updates they've been putting on their website and on their YouTube page - most recently, this video)

At the end of the video, when it said "2018": cynic that I am, I couldn't help adding "-ish" to it. (Prove me wrong, I beg you.)
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 08:16:46 AM »
At the end of the video, when it said "2018": cynic that I am, I couldn't help adding "-ish" to it. (Prove me wrong, I beg you.)

Progress is progress. As a volunteer effort, and labor of love (rather than profit), I imagine It'll take longer than expected and be ready when it's ready. I'm still a happy Kickstarter waiting to see my goodies in-game. I knew up-front it was going to take longer than they anticipated... still progress, no matter how slow, is progress.

Also that said, realist that I am, I imagine we'll see City of Titans long before NC even honestly considers releasing their rights to our City to anyone. (Prove me wrong... please, seriously... I beg you...)  :'(

Lyc~

Starfighter

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
Have got absolute zero to add concerning updating the situation re negotiations, ongoing discussions, or whether the NCSoft guys prefer it with one or two sugars, but I would join ranks with the Army of Conformity when it comes to assessing CoT's launch date.  Fall 2018 was the last (again, speculative) date I'd seen discussed, but considering that this is an a) non-corporate effort, b) total volunteer project which could lose valuable contributors at any time, and c) dependent on software and support networks that could become largely obsolete at any point in future development, I would put the MWM crew's proclamation of Fall 2018 at about the point where they announce, "Eh, well, maybe Summer 2019."

I still hold an opinion - based completely on my half-baked knowledge of corporate strategies and fifth-hand understanding of NCSoft's corporate character - that the company may be waiting until the last minute - City of Titans launches tomorrow! - before putting CoH out live again.  Would probably cost them next to nothing to release the game in Issue 24-Beta condition, aside from the servers and maintenance (if any), and if they give everyone access to their old accounts and characters...?  I can say that I, at least, wouldn't sign back in, but who knows what parade of the lemmings might result from this.

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 09:18:12 PM »
Also, if you've seen "nothing but lore updates" from the City of Titans people, you've somehow managed to miss all the gameplay updates...

I can't say I don't feel the same way when it comes to the game updates. In all fairness, the lore updates (villain groups, contacts, heroes, etc) make up a very large percentage of the TPP KS updates sent to the emails of the backers. Possibly a majority of them. While many others have been info on day to day MSW news, displays of art, holiday/special date messages (Christmas, halloween, CoX anniversary, ect). Out of the close to 200 updates, I'd say less than 5% has had video or in-depth pictures in-game images. The last update had it, and that was the most in-game stuff I'd seen from them... well, ever.

Now, that is not to say that I don't understand why. I mean, anyone with much of a brain has to realize that, in the marathon that is getting an MMO to launch date, working on graphics and gameplay are the last mile; the fourth quarter; the 9th inning. Having a game we can run around in and beat up baddies is the finish line. So, it make sense that we can only now see the finish line in our sights.

Basically, we are all little kids far too anxious to wait until Christmas day to open our presents. So, while the lore (and other stuff) has been predominant in the updates, most know why. I don't necessarily think that he was saying that most of the updates were lore as being a bad thing, I think it was just the anticipation talking.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom