Author Topic: What Reasons...  (Read 14391 times)

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
What Reasons...
« on: May 26, 2017, 06:38:08 PM »
If you had the opportunity to sit down with the Exec's of NCSoft, what reasons would you give them to bring back CoH either as a paid MMO or in Maintanance Mode.

For example:
1. The Player Base/Community is still out there wanting to play
2. New players will be drawn to CoH
3. Still no MMO out there that can offer what CoH can.

ike

• Minion
  • palms spaghetti, knees weak arms spaghetti
Re: What Reasons...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
the interest amongst casual gamers and even non-gamers in superheroes is at an all time high, the superhero industry in film and in video games is making more money than ever before, as evidenced by the tremendous sales of the marvel cinematic universe films, especially the avengers, and the massive interest and hype over the release of injustice 2. If there was ever a time to release a superhero game, even reviving an old one, it would be right now
hat extraordinare

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:25:26 PM »
the interest amongst casual gamers and even non-gamers in superheroes is at an all time high, the superhero industry in film and in video games is making more money than ever before, as evidenced by the tremendous sales of the marvel cinematic universe films, especially the avengers, and the massive interest and hype over the release of injustice 2. If there was ever a time to release a superhero game, even reviving an old one, it would be right now

Totally agree and a good reason.

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 01:33:15 AM »
Tell them how easy it would be for them to make money with a minimum of work.They have several games they could use.It would also show that people who put time and money into their games would not lose their home in the game world.Can't believe we have not made more of an effort to get someone from NC Soft to run this idea at a meeting.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:12:49 PM by worldweary »

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 07:16:01 AM »
Tell them how easy it would be for them to make money with a minimum of work.They have several games they could use.It would also show that people who put time and money into their games would lose their home in the game world.Can't believe we have not made more of an effort to get someone from NC Soft to run this idea at a meeting.

Thanks another good point

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:45:51 PM »
I would tell them that City of. is still a recognized brand name. They could put out a City of. zombie, while they commission a business to design City of 2.
Many people, have good memories in City of. and I would tell them, that having a zombie City of. would bring in money, they would need to know that it wont bring in the numbers it used to. The best results they could hope for, is to make City of. 2. and then offer a transfer option, for two or three characters into 2, without the inf. but everything else they have earned such as badges and costume parts.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 02:31:16 AM »
every other MMO is hot garbage and even if i had to have an active sub to access CoH i would, further content updates or not.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 02:35:40 AM »
Gamers are aging.  Even without an update to graphics, CoH was a game that could be scaled to ability, enabling old eyes and slower reflexes to enjoy it.  In fact a completely untouched and growing demographic for games is among retirees.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »
I would tell them that City of. is still a recognized brand name. They could put out a City of. zombie, while they commission a business to design City of 2.
Many people, have good memories in City of. and I would tell them, that having a zombie City of. would bring in money, they would need to know that it wont bring in the numbers it used to. The best results they could hope for, is to make City of. 2. and then offer a transfer option, for two or three characters into 2, without the inf. but everything else they have earned such as badges and costume parts.

Interesting idea, makes me think of the Halloween Event  :)

every other MMO is hot garbage and even if i had to have an active sub to access CoH i would, further content updates or not.

I think most of us would do the same  ;)

Gamers are aging.  Even without an update to graphics, CoH was a game that could be scaled to ability, enabling old eyes and slower reflexes to enjoy it.  In fact a completely untouched and growing demographic for games is among retirees.

Now this I didn't realise, do you have any links or point towards an article that I can read up on?

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »

This.I don't have any articles or studies to read but as I have posted before the groups I played with were mostly older.As said above they did't have the reflexes or dexterity to play faster pace games or ones that have 50 buttons or keys to remember.We had a few both young and old that had disabilities that were so thankful they had a game and community where they could could do just as well as any of us because the game was built so well for teaming.Arthritis and other bone and joint issues keep a lot of people from playing many games.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 05:26:58 PM »

Even though I'm still in my 30s and have the reflexes, i admit I do admire games when they have good scaling in difficulty settings, something I often don't see in the games I play.  They often end up to hard(and for the wrong reasons) when i scale a difficulty setting up, or they are to easy even on a high difficulty setting.

I guess you could say I was the opposite end: I like games to be a challenge and love it when we can custom tailer it.  The only game(a mod actually, ok maybe 2 mods i know) to do this; The nameless mod for deus ex lets you scale the difficulty not only in damage enemies do but in item quantity and enemy quantity(even health to if you want a bethesda style artificially difficult experience, though i wouldn't recommend it).  Project Nevada for Fallout New Vegas also allows custom difficulty tailoring, which I like to.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 08:45:54 PM »
I would give them 5 reasons.
I would count to 5 as I folded each finger of my powerful right hand into a fist.

--or--

I would get on my knees and beg.

--or--

I would explain that without City of Heroes to occupy my time, I might accidently send certain photographs to the press showing NCSoft executives in compromising situations.  If you get my drift.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 03:49:13 AM »
Now this I didn't realise, do you have any links or point towards an article that I can read up on?

I sure can.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110837-New-Demographics-Show-Gamers-Are-Getting-Older

"Additionally, people beyond the age of 50 are increasingly turning to games for entertainment. 29 percent of the elder population now enjoy virtual worlds, a vast increase over the 9 percent of 50-plus year olds with the same affinity the ESA found in 1999."

http://quanticfoundry.com/2016/02/10/gamer-generation/

And, the finding that playing video-games keeps you sharper.

http://www.newsweek.com/video-gaming-will-keep-you-younger-452717
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 05:24:26 AM »
I would give them 5 reasons.
I would count to 5 as I folded each finger of my powerful right hand into a fist.

Better than 1 finger.  I am reminded of the "Can you hear this?  Would you like me to turn it up?" scene in The Breakfast Club.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
I sure can.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110837-New-Demographics-Show-Gamers-Are-Getting-Older

"Additionally, people beyond the age of 50 are increasingly turning to games for entertainment. 29 percent of the elder population now enjoy virtual worlds, a vast increase over the 9 percent of 50-plus year olds with the same affinity the ESA found in 1999."

Thank you VV, some interesting reading, I wonder what NCSoft would say about this and the other good reasons people have made so far about reviving CoH

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »
I sure can.

Back when the game was still live, my mother-in-law who was in her 60s, was an avid player.  She has RA (the medical problem, not the Emp power) and most games were far too hard for her to use the mouse and keyboard to play.  She could spend hours every day playing CoH, whether it was base building, making characters, or running missions.  She had quite a stable of characters right up until shutdown.  There were a number of people I played with, who were either aged 50+, or had physical disabilities that normally prevented them from playing other MMOs, but could play and enjoy CoH.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 04:09:57 AM »
Back when the game was still live, my mother-in-law who was in her 60s, was an avid player.  She has RA (the medical problem, not the Emp power) and most games were far too hard for her to use the mouse and keyboard to play.  She could spend hours every day playing CoH, whether it was base building, making characters, or running missions.  She had quite a stable of characters right up until shutdown.  There were a number of people I played with, who were either aged 50+, or had physical disabilities that normally prevented them from playing other MMOs, but could play and enjoy CoH.

When we were making the pitch to other companies to buy CoH, this was a big part of the package--pointing out the aging demographic, how CoH could even qualify them for corporate tax deductions by giving accounts free to the disabled.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 06:08:26 AM »

I like this one. Frankly NCSoft shut the game down probably at the worst possible time.  :P

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 06:37:55 AM »
Wish there was away to tell NCSoft these reasons, I really believe relaunching CoH could only be good for them as a company.

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »

31 superhero films were released during the lifespan of CoX there is *NO* guarantee that being a "Comic Book film" would be a sign of success. Hell, even in the *TV* world, there is no guarantee that being based on a superhero property will mean you will keep on running[2]

Also, it is worth noting that *considering* the wide range of films and amount that are getting released.... I would say that the most successful game franchise isn't even made from comics... but Lego Bricks. The Batman Arkham series is good as well. Apart from those 2 franchises, well... the games have been hit and miss in terms of quality over the years.

[1] 20 films based on Marvel properties, 11 films based on DC properties. And this is just the *live action* stuff. Animated/TV properties bring this total up even higher. And I am also not counting films like RED, Men In Black, Kick Ass which were comics before films.

[2] Agent Carter, Constantine for example.