Author Topic: What Reasons...  (Read 14389 times)

worldweary

• Boss
Re: What Reasons...
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »
Wish there was away to tell NCSoft these reasons, I really believe relaunching CoH could only be good for them as a company.

I wonder if there is some way to contact the guy who put Statesman/Tyrant in Master X Master and send him this thread.

Back when the game was still live, my mother-in-law who was in her 60s, was an avid player.  She has RA (the medical problem, not the Emp power) and most games were far too hard for her to use the mouse and keyboard to play.  She could spend hours every day playing CoH, whether it was base building, making characters, or running missions.  She had quite a stable of characters right up until shutdown.  There were a number of people I played with, who were either aged 50+, or had physical disabilities that normally prevented them from playing other MMOs, but could play and enjoy CoH.

Just another of the many reasons CoH will never be replaced.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 10:15:29 AM »
I have read the different reasons why the IP hasn't been sold, but it just doesn't make any sense to me and likely the rest of you, that a company would rather see a game sit on a shelf doing nothing when customers are willing to pay to play the game.

The one reason that really baffles me is "Losing Face if another company makes it successful" this just seems very childish to me, yes it may be a cultural thing but please we live in a world where sports teams, Companies etc get rid of people who aren't doing a good job to get someone in to do better, I'm preety sure NCSoft would do exactlt the same thing if there CEO wasn't doing a good enough job!

Sorry for the rant, I really want this game back  ;)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »
As do we all.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »
Has there been any games that have been closed down but then relaunched or bought and come back?

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »
Has there been any games that have been closed down but then relaunched or bought and come back?

Yes.

APB was closed after roughly 6 weeks, 29June/2nd July (depending on region) to 17th August 2010. It was then relaunched as APB Reloaded.
Hellgate London is another title. Oct 2007 to Feb 2009. Then reopened July 2011 but closed again Jan 2016. I am sure that between the original closure and reopening that the servers were up in some form, but cannot find confirmation of it.

Those are 2 that spring to mind.

Beltor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 12:41:13 AM »
Gamers are aging.  Even without an update to graphics, CoH was a game that could be scaled to ability, enabling old eyes and slower reflexes to enjoy it.  In fact a completely untouched and growing demographic for games is among retirees.

I can vouch for this. I'm 47 and have a severe disability that also affects my left hand. COH was a game i could still play as well as anybody. I kept my problems secret so as to avoid any different treatment. COH's adaptable and flexible interface was the main reason i could do this, despite my age and condition.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »
The game was ground breaking, available for so many, all ages from young teens to 50+ not sure many other MMOs can claim that today, but thats just my opinion.