Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 2510 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Twin Peaks
« on: May 27, 2017, 05:21:54 AM »
Liking it a lot through 4 episodes. Pacing issues but the tone is right, especially the humor. 3 minute scene with Michael Cera as Andy and Lucy's kid is worth the price of admission.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
Re: Twin Peaks
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 05:29:30 AM »
Liking it a lot through 4 episodes. Pacing issues but the tone is right, especially the humor. 3 minute scene with Michael Cera as Andy and Lucy's kid is worth the price of admission.

I loved the original Twin Peaks.  Even bought the soundtrack and the companion books.  So I have been avoiding this reboot.  But since you are almost impossible to please it must be decent so I'll give it a shot.

These are the books I bought
https://smile.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Access-Guide-Town/dp/0671743996/ref=cm_rdp_product
https://smile.amazon.com/Secret-Diary-Laura-Palmer-Peaks-ebook/dp/B0054KE0C0/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1495948981&sr=8-3

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:33:58 AM »
Totally missed the original.  Always assumed it was something like Dynasty/Falcon Crest/etc. and didn't even hear it was Weird until within the last few years.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 06:22:42 AM »
I loved the original Twin Peaks.  Even bought the soundtrack and the companion books.  So I have been avoiding this reboot.  But since you are almost impossible to please it must be decent so I'll give it a shot.

Who me? Surely you jest :P

The music's great again btw. Same theme music and they've been ending the episodes with good bands playing the Bang Bang bar. I expect it will be slow though. I'm watching at 2.3x and it still drags a bit at times. I expect a bit of that with Lynch but it seems more slow paced than the original. But then I'm the last person to accurately comment on pacing since everything drags to me.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:23:01 PM »
So I started watching the original on Netflix, and at first I couldn't understand how this slow paced, rather dull show with largely terrible dialogue and acting, and that awful cheesy theme popping up at all the tense/dramatic moments, ever managed to catch on...

...and now I'm seven episodes in, somehow.  It's like a train wreck I can't look away from.  I can't figure out if it's intentionally bad, meant as a sort of parody of daytime soaps or something...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
I watch soaps. Don't think they're anything like the masterpiece that was Season 1.
Season 2... not so much.
Season 3 seems to be reclaiming a lot of its glory so far.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 07:59:03 AM »
Ep 8 seemed like they only had 5 minutes of actual show so they decided to fill the rest with a Nine Inch Nails song and a couple of student films from the show interns. I can't even imagine how bad that episode was in regular speed.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 11:43:20 AM »
So I started watching the original on Netflix, and at first I couldn't understand how this slow paced, rather dull show with largely terrible dialogue and acting, and that awful cheesy theme popping up at all the tense/dramatic moments, ever managed to catch on...

...and now I'm seven episodes in, somehow.  It's like a train wreck I can't look away from.  I can't figure out if it's intentionally bad, meant as a sort of parody of daytime soaps or something...

Yes it's Mark Frost and David Lynch doing a 1980's soap opera in prime time with the addition of absurdist humor and insane horror elements.  You may notice that every television is showing "Invitation to Love" which parallels the story of the main show.  Yes, Lynch does make you sit through interminable scenes deliberately (the bank teller in the series finale is famous -- 5 minutes of an incredibly old man walking back and forth).  Yes he does this even more in the revival.   If you don't like Lynch (Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Mulhullond Drive) you probably won't like Twin Peaks.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 07:12:26 PM »
Ep 8 seemed like they only had 5 minutes of actual show so they decided to fill the rest with a Nine Inch Nails song and a couple of student films from the show interns. I can't even imagine how bad that episode was in regular speed.
Episode 8 had more infodump than everything previous. It was freaking amazing!

Got a light?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 09:46:19 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Not sure what you're calling an infodump here. Nuclear mudball and his hobo attendees vs lightball/frogbug? that plus bobcooper getting shot was the 5 minutes i was referring to.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 05:14:48 PM »
That and everything that means is a massive infodump.