Author Topic: Musings of a former player  (Read 1270 times)

Crazyleo

• Minion
Musings of a former player
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:14:56 AM »
I first discovered this game back in 04 when a local Internet cafe I used to frequent before they closed up shop in 09. Since then, I bought the game and created my very first character; an FF/ENG defender by the name of SPU (short for Shield Projection Unit)

The background I created for the character was rather simplistic in nature; but it lead to a rich & fulfilling experience that I haven't captured again since I was forced to stop playing in 09.

I took a brief hiatus due to burn-out (but I managed to get SPU up to 50 though

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Musings of a former player
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 07:48:01 PM »
I saw adverts for this game in many comic books. Didn't think anything of it.

One day I was in CompUSA (when they still had stores) and saw this on the shelf.

Not long ago I had bought Freedom Force, which I liked a lot and thought this was something of the same thing.

So I bought it - not reading the box that it was an MMO and you had to PAY every month to play it, besides the initial purchase.
It had one free month so I thought I'd give it a try. Played for the entire 8 years, taking a month off here and there, but certainly enjoyed the game.
Even made me decide to upgrade my PC so I could have a better experience.

Bought the pre-order on City of Villains and did the beta testing. The final night was the best, I was killed by Positron himself in one of the raids and he even called out my name!

I have played CO and DCU online after COH closed. Both are ok in their own way, but no where close to how I loved COH. I hardly play either anymore, I spent more time in Icon running around a dead city then playing a live game. That's what COH means to me.