Author Topic: Wonder-Woman  (Read 12080 times)

therain93

• Elite Boss
Wonder-Woman
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:50:52 PM »
Surprised there is no thread on this yet...saw it at the Reading, MA Imax in '3d'.  It looked great, but i had no clue what justified the 3d-ness surcharge.

As for the movie,  very solidly put together,  although I'd give it maybe an 8 out of 10. 
Spoiler for Hidden:
I didn't care for the showdown with Ares as 1. It seemed to drag the film a bit and 2. just felt a bit hokey.  I had other minor issues (echoes of Captain America and Steve Trevor's end felt a bit contrived),  but still enjoyable.  Please note, I'm not a comic book fan and don't follow wonder woman at all.
.  Also of note,  my girlfriend is not a comic person at all, although she enjoys her action movies... she went in with low, cheesecake expectations and really,  really liked it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:05:28 PM by therain93 »
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: Wonder-Woman
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
I'd give it maybe an 8 out of 10.

For a DC film, that's high praise.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:28:55 AM »
For a DC film, that's high praise.

For a DC film 4 out of 10 is high praise.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Wonder Woman!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:38:55 AM »
NO SPOILERS, Promise!   

I just wanted to say we just got back from seeing Wonder Woman, and HOLY COW, that was an awesome movie!  I think it may be the best DC movie I've seen.

I highly recommend catching it at least once, and I'm definitely going back for another viewing soon, plus buying it as soon as it comes out on BluRay.    :D

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »
I say this will be DC's first 'Marvel' type hit and make tons of money.

They tanked out on the last few films so maybe they will learn what makes this one a good one and put that into their JLA film and other upcoming ones.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
I hope they have learned from their mistakes, but I also hope they don't think one-size fits all. I don't expect Flash to be the same flavour.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 09:02:02 PM »
Happy Wonder Woman Day!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »
Overall, I liked it, but one thing really bugged me:
Spoiler for Hidden:
Why did they make Zeus into being the one behind the Amazons? The whole point Marston made in Wonder Woman's origin was that the Amazons were created by the FEMALE gods. It sort of takes away from the whole female empowerment vibe to have Zeus behind them.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 05:09:16 AM »
I would have to say that Wonder Woman is a pretty decent movie. This is one of my favorite superhero movies so far this year and I'm really impressed.  8) This movie is well balanced. What I find this humorous is
Spoiler for Hidden:
When Ares [who looks like Imperious] did the Ion Judgement/Statesman's Zeus Lightning Bolt move on Wonder Woman and she absorbed the bolt and fired back at him just want me to play the ITF again.  :D 

Finally DC did something right.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
Overall, I liked it, but one thing really bugged me:
Spoiler for Hidden:
Why did they make Zeus into being the one behind the Amazons? The whole point Marston made in Wonder Woman's origin was that the Amazons were created by the FEMALE gods. It sort of takes away from the whole female empowerment vibe to have Zeus behind them.
That was really only true for the Potter/Perez version, which no longer applies.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 08:42:37 PM »
That was really only true for the Potter/Perez version, which no longer applies.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The movie had Zeus creating the Amazons and Themyscira ... and even before the reveal that Diana was his biological daughter he was stated to be the one who brought life to her clay.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 04:17:08 AM »
One thing I have a problem is
Spoiler for Hidden:
When Steve was talking to Dr. Poison at the party and we see Diana walking towards him with her sword on her back that's very notable and nobody notice the sword the whole time. That bothered me.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:27:11 AM by Dev7on »

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
I saw some people looking at her back. They were just being exceptionally polite.

Still worth being bothered about.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 01:47:14 AM »
Wonder Woman no spoiler review.

8.5 out of 10

The good:

- Movie understands Wonder Woman.  Probably one of the biggest complaints about the recent crop of DC movies is that they don't understand the characters.  In trying to make Superman a more conflicted character many people think they lost an essential element of the moral strength of the character.  It seems like people worship him because he is powerful in BvS not because he is good.  And while people thought Affleck did well with Batman, many felt his character was hit and miss with a little too much Bat-murder.  Wonder Woman (the movie) seems to capture the basic essence of the character in my opinion to a much better degree.  She is a fish out of water not just in the sense that she has no experience with the outside world environment, but she was raised in a much less complicated, much more egalitarian world where fairness and justice are supposed to be the norm, not the exception.  Each in their own way believes in Justice: Batman believes no one should be above it, Superman believes power should be used to defend it.  Wonder Woman believes justice is worth fighting for.  When Steve Trevor basically asks her, near the end of the movie, "what do you believe in" he's not teaching her anything, he is reminding her of what we've already seen throughout the movie.  By the end of the movie, I know Wonder Woman.

- Movie understands what it wants to be.  Probably the biggest problem with every recent DC movie not directed by Christopher Nolan is a sense that the movie doesn't know what it wants to be.  The Dark Knight trilogy knows what it wants to be.  The Marvel movies by in large know what they want to be - whether people like it or not.  Man of Steel opens looking like one movie, then morphs into another movie for a short interval before becoming a different movie at the end.  BvS is a story board possessed by a special effects demon.  Wonder Woman appears to have that thing people have been trying to articulate was missing from MoS and BvS: a consistent tone.  WW has dark moments, and it is a serious movie.  But it isn't lifeless, or depressing, or hollow.  From the beginning to the end of the movie, it felt like a single story with tragedy, comedy, romance, and action, but a single story about a main protagonist and her trajectory.

- Movie is successful.  I mean, as a story.  Man of Steel had so much potential, and I don't think it lived up to it.  BvS is a text book example of wasted potential.  Suicide Squad was a crazy amount of lost potential.  I believe Wonder Woman, while not a perfect movie, doesn't feel like a waste of potential.  It feels like achieving the potential of the character.  We all knew you could make a great Wonder Woman movie with her as the center of it, and the WW movie achieves that in spades.  I left the theater thinking the same thing I thought after seeing Batman Begins: this is the movie I didn't know I wanted until someone made it.

- Chris Pine plays second fiddle well.  Personally, I don't mind Chris Pine.  But I know a lot of people who aren't keen on him.  Most agree he plays a very likeable, very believable, very capable side kick to Wonder Woman.  He is a strong character that doesn't overshadow the main character.  And I think Pine and Godot have pretty good chemistry on screen.  Their relationship arc is believable to me.

The bad:

- Ares.  I found the last act with Ares to be not as interesting as the rest of the movie.  Ares in particular is not a good villain.  He is practically invisible, and that makes it difficult to build him up to be the big bad of the movie.  His presence is always lurking about in terms of Wonder Woman's dialog, but mostly I felt he was bussed into the movie's last act to end the movie.

- The Godkiller.  Yeah, I'm too jaded.  I saw that coming from a mile away.

- The Amazons.  Yes, they are bad-asses.  Yes, they put up a kick-ass fight.  Yes, they ultimately win.  And yes, if Themyscira was ever discovered by more than twelve guys in a rowboat or a modern army they'd be toast.  I kinda felt they should be stronger, although there were obvious narrative reasons for things happening they way they did.

The Ugly:

- Wonder Woman's strength.  So just exactly how strong is Wonder Woman anyway?  We know how strong Superman is.  He's all but bullet proof.  Is Wonder Woman?  She deflects bullets with bracers and her shield.  Can she take a bullet?  We see her wielding power that could rival Superman, but on the other hand we often see her fighting more like Batman.  When she holds off the machine guns with her shield, she looks like she is struggling with something Superman wouldn't.  But she picks up a tank like it was an inflatable duck.  The one thing that I don't think the DC movieverse has figured out yet is just exactly where Wonder Woman is in terms of power.  And this was the one inconsistent thing in the movie that bothered me a little.

Overall:

Go see this movie.  Compared to similar relatively origin story superhero movies, it probably has the most in common with Batman Begins, Thor, Captain America (of course), and Iron Man.  I think it is better than Thor, and a little better than Captain America.  It is probably the equal of Iron Man and maybe just a little under Batman Begins in my opinion, which I think is the gold standard of reinventing a character for the big screen.  It feels the most like Captain America, and hopefully that is a good thing.  Captain America pulled off a miracle in my opinion, making Cap relevant by telling his WW2 story and pulling him into the modern era.  And Cap managed to pull the hat trick in making each sequel pay off dividends from the previous movie and top the success of the previous outings.  If Wonder Woman can achieve the same thing, taking the slow and careful approach that Marvel did and DC seemed too impatient to do with Superman and Batman, she could become the anchor to the DCEU it desperately needs.

Wonder Woman does what no DC movie has done since The Dark Knight: make me want more.  It isn't perfect, but it transcends its flaws enough that I care more about what it gets right than what it gets wrong.  I give it an 8.5 out of 10 on technical merit.  But I have no reservations about recommending that people see it.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 02:20:38 AM »
Man, I thought the Ratings Disease only affected gamers... 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 03:15:15 AM »
Man, I thought the Ratings Disease only affected gamers...

movie folks have it too, but they're far less likely to only be rating the product to brag that they used it in 4k or on linux.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:25:56 AM by Vee »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 03:32:51 AM »
I say this will be DC's first 'Marvel' type hit and make tons of money.

They tanked out on the last few films so maybe they will learn what makes this one a good one and put that into their JLA film and other upcoming ones.

Batman v Superman almost certainly will have made more money than Wonder Woman, although WW seems to have much stronger legs in its first weekend.  I think WW looks headed to be more of a Guardians of the Galaxy-style hit, which is still pretty darned good.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 06:33:58 AM »
movie folks have it too, but they're far less likely to only be rating the product to brag that they used it in 4k or on linux.

Everything gets rated these days.  I'm referring to the sickness that makes people think that only a rating akin to 9/10 or higher is good.

8/10 is a great movie and not just 'for a DC movie'.

8.5/10 recommends itself, it doesn't need to be recommended *despite* the rating.

Madness.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »
Everything gets rated these days.  I'm referring to the sickness that makes people think that only a rating akin to 9/10 or higher is good.

8/10 is a great movie and not just 'for a DC movie'.

8.5/10 recommends itself, it doesn't need to be recommended *despite* the rating.

Madness.

Don't be silly. Only 11/10 or higher deserves to be seen by anyone. Only movies and raters who're giving 110% are worthy of your time.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »
Ok i watched it. Meh. Had some good action scenes but very formulaic and at times hokey. Good to know they can make something that's not a complete mess though.