Author Topic: Wonder-Woman  (Read 12027 times)

therain93

• Elite Boss
Wonder-Woman
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:50:52 PM »
Surprised there is no thread on this yet...saw it at the Reading, MA Imax in '3d'.  It looked great, but i had no clue what justified the 3d-ness surcharge.

As for the movie,  very solidly put together,  although I'd give it maybe an 8 out of 10. 
Spoiler for Hidden:
I didn't care for the showdown with Ares as 1. It seemed to drag the film a bit and 2. just felt a bit hokey.  I had other minor issues (echoes of Captain America and Steve Trevor's end felt a bit contrived),  but still enjoyable.  Please note, I'm not a comic book fan and don't follow wonder woman at all.
.  Also of note,  my girlfriend is not a comic person at all, although she enjoys her action movies... she went in with low, cheesecake expectations and really,  really liked it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:05:28 PM by therain93 »
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: Wonder-Woman
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
I'd give it maybe an 8 out of 10.

For a DC film, that's high praise.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:28:55 AM »
For a DC film, that's high praise.

For a DC film 4 out of 10 is high praise.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Wonder Woman!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:38:55 AM »
NO SPOILERS, Promise!   

I just wanted to say we just got back from seeing Wonder Woman, and HOLY COW, that was an awesome movie!  I think it may be the best DC movie I've seen.

I highly recommend catching it at least once, and I'm definitely going back for another viewing soon, plus buying it as soon as it comes out on BluRay.    :D

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »
I say this will be DC's first 'Marvel' type hit and make tons of money.

They tanked out on the last few films so maybe they will learn what makes this one a good one and put that into their JLA film and other upcoming ones.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
I hope they have learned from their mistakes, but I also hope they don't think one-size fits all. I don't expect Flash to be the same flavour.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 09:02:02 PM »
Happy Wonder Woman Day!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »
Overall, I liked it, but one thing really bugged me:
Spoiler for Hidden:
Why did they make Zeus into being the one behind the Amazons? The whole point Marston made in Wonder Woman's origin was that the Amazons were created by the FEMALE gods. It sort of takes away from the whole female empowerment vibe to have Zeus behind them.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 05:09:16 AM »
I would have to say that Wonder Woman is a pretty decent movie. This is one of my favorite superhero movies so far this year and I'm really impressed.  8) This movie is well balanced. What I find this humorous is
Spoiler for Hidden:
When Ares [who looks like Imperious] did the Ion Judgement/Statesman's Zeus Lightning Bolt move on Wonder Woman and she absorbed the bolt and fired back at him just want me to play the ITF again.  :D 

Finally DC did something right.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
Overall, I liked it, but one thing really bugged me:
Spoiler for Hidden:
Why did they make Zeus into being the one behind the Amazons? The whole point Marston made in Wonder Woman's origin was that the Amazons were created by the FEMALE gods. It sort of takes away from the whole female empowerment vibe to have Zeus behind them.
That was really only true for the Potter/Perez version, which no longer applies.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 08:42:37 PM »
That was really only true for the Potter/Perez version, which no longer applies.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The movie had Zeus creating the Amazons and Themyscira ... and even before the reveal that Diana was his biological daughter he was stated to be the one who brought life to her clay.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 04:17:08 AM »
One thing I have a problem is
Spoiler for Hidden:
When Steve was talking to Dr. Poison at the party and we see Diana walking towards him with her sword on her back that's very notable and nobody notice the sword the whole time. That bothered me.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:27:11 AM by Dev7on »

Valtyr

• Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
I saw some people looking at her back. They were just being exceptionally polite.

Still worth being bothered about.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 01:47:14 AM »
Wonder Woman no spoiler review.

8.5 out of 10

The good:

- Movie understands Wonder Woman.  Probably one of the biggest complaints about the recent crop of DC movies is that they don't understand the characters.  In trying to make Superman a more conflicted character many people think they lost an essential element of the moral strength of the character.  It seems like people worship him because he is powerful in BvS not because he is good.  And while people thought Affleck did well with Batman, many felt his character was hit and miss with a little too much Bat-murder.  Wonder Woman (the movie) seems to capture the basic essence of the character in my opinion to a much better degree.  She is a fish out of water not just in the sense that she has no experience with the outside world environment, but she was raised in a much less complicated, much more egalitarian world where fairness and justice are supposed to be the norm, not the exception.  Each in their own way believes in Justice: Batman believes no one should be above it, Superman believes power should be used to defend it.  Wonder Woman believes justice is worth fighting for.  When Steve Trevor basically asks her, near the end of the movie, "what do you believe in" he's not teaching her anything, he is reminding her of what we've already seen throughout the movie.  By the end of the movie, I know Wonder Woman.

- Movie understands what it wants to be.  Probably the biggest problem with every recent DC movie not directed by Christopher Nolan is a sense that the movie doesn't know what it wants to be.  The Dark Knight trilogy knows what it wants to be.  The Marvel movies by in large know what they want to be - whether people like it or not.  Man of Steel opens looking like one movie, then morphs into another movie for a short interval before becoming a different movie at the end.  BvS is a story board possessed by a special effects demon.  Wonder Woman appears to have that thing people have been trying to articulate was missing from MoS and BvS: a consistent tone.  WW has dark moments, and it is a serious movie.  But it isn't lifeless, or depressing, or hollow.  From the beginning to the end of the movie, it felt like a single story with tragedy, comedy, romance, and action, but a single story about a main protagonist and her trajectory.

- Movie is successful.  I mean, as a story.  Man of Steel had so much potential, and I don't think it lived up to it.  BvS is a text book example of wasted potential.  Suicide Squad was a crazy amount of lost potential.  I believe Wonder Woman, while not a perfect movie, doesn't feel like a waste of potential.  It feels like achieving the potential of the character.  We all knew you could make a great Wonder Woman movie with her as the center of it, and the WW movie achieves that in spades.  I left the theater thinking the same thing I thought after seeing Batman Begins: this is the movie I didn't know I wanted until someone made it.

- Chris Pine plays second fiddle well.  Personally, I don't mind Chris Pine.  But I know a lot of people who aren't keen on him.  Most agree he plays a very likeable, very believable, very capable side kick to Wonder Woman.  He is a strong character that doesn't overshadow the main character.  And I think Pine and Godot have pretty good chemistry on screen.  Their relationship arc is believable to me.

The bad:

- Ares.  I found the last act with Ares to be not as interesting as the rest of the movie.  Ares in particular is not a good villain.  He is practically invisible, and that makes it difficult to build him up to be the big bad of the movie.  His presence is always lurking about in terms of Wonder Woman's dialog, but mostly I felt he was bussed into the movie's last act to end the movie.

- The Godkiller.  Yeah, I'm too jaded.  I saw that coming from a mile away.

- The Amazons.  Yes, they are bad-asses.  Yes, they put up a kick-ass fight.  Yes, they ultimately win.  And yes, if Themyscira was ever discovered by more than twelve guys in a rowboat or a modern army they'd be toast.  I kinda felt they should be stronger, although there were obvious narrative reasons for things happening they way they did.

The Ugly:

- Wonder Woman's strength.  So just exactly how strong is Wonder Woman anyway?  We know how strong Superman is.  He's all but bullet proof.  Is Wonder Woman?  She deflects bullets with bracers and her shield.  Can she take a bullet?  We see her wielding power that could rival Superman, but on the other hand we often see her fighting more like Batman.  When she holds off the machine guns with her shield, she looks like she is struggling with something Superman wouldn't.  But she picks up a tank like it was an inflatable duck.  The one thing that I don't think the DC movieverse has figured out yet is just exactly where Wonder Woman is in terms of power.  And this was the one inconsistent thing in the movie that bothered me a little.

Overall:

Go see this movie.  Compared to similar relatively origin story superhero movies, it probably has the most in common with Batman Begins, Thor, Captain America (of course), and Iron Man.  I think it is better than Thor, and a little better than Captain America.  It is probably the equal of Iron Man and maybe just a little under Batman Begins in my opinion, which I think is the gold standard of reinventing a character for the big screen.  It feels the most like Captain America, and hopefully that is a good thing.  Captain America pulled off a miracle in my opinion, making Cap relevant by telling his WW2 story and pulling him into the modern era.  And Cap managed to pull the hat trick in making each sequel pay off dividends from the previous movie and top the success of the previous outings.  If Wonder Woman can achieve the same thing, taking the slow and careful approach that Marvel did and DC seemed too impatient to do with Superman and Batman, she could become the anchor to the DCEU it desperately needs.

Wonder Woman does what no DC movie has done since The Dark Knight: make me want more.  It isn't perfect, but it transcends its flaws enough that I care more about what it gets right than what it gets wrong.  I give it an 8.5 out of 10 on technical merit.  But I have no reservations about recommending that people see it.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 02:20:38 AM »
Man, I thought the Ratings Disease only affected gamers... 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 03:15:15 AM »
Man, I thought the Ratings Disease only affected gamers...

movie folks have it too, but they're far less likely to only be rating the product to brag that they used it in 4k or on linux.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:25:56 AM by Vee »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 03:32:51 AM »
I say this will be DC's first 'Marvel' type hit and make tons of money.

They tanked out on the last few films so maybe they will learn what makes this one a good one and put that into their JLA film and other upcoming ones.

Batman v Superman almost certainly will have made more money than Wonder Woman, although WW seems to have much stronger legs in its first weekend.  I think WW looks headed to be more of a Guardians of the Galaxy-style hit, which is still pretty darned good.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 06:33:58 AM »
movie folks have it too, but they're far less likely to only be rating the product to brag that they used it in 4k or on linux.

Everything gets rated these days.  I'm referring to the sickness that makes people think that only a rating akin to 9/10 or higher is good.

8/10 is a great movie and not just 'for a DC movie'.

8.5/10 recommends itself, it doesn't need to be recommended *despite* the rating.

Madness.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »
Everything gets rated these days.  I'm referring to the sickness that makes people think that only a rating akin to 9/10 or higher is good.

8.5/10 recommends itself, it doesn't need to be recommended *despite* the rating.

Madness.

Don't be silly. Only 11/10 or higher deserves to be seen by anyone. Only movies and raters who're giving 110% are worthy of your time.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »
Ok i watched it. Meh. Had some good action scenes but very formulaic and at times hokey. Good to know they can make something that's not a complete mess though.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 12:26:38 AM »

Madness.

If that is directed at me, I should point out that a) I give numbers only as an abbreviation for a more expository review, b) my number scale is my own and defined by me alone, and c) I don't grade on a curve, so by definition any movie that doesn't rate 10 out of 10 has flaws that would moderate any recommendation to see a movie.  The notion that everyone should see all movies rated 8.5 or higher implies something I don't agree with, which is that the quality of the movie alone determines whether I should recommend someone see a movie.  I would rate Requiem for a Dream a 9 out of 10, but I would have some reservations about recommending whether people actually watch it.

To me, 8 out of 10 means there's 2 out of 10 bad things in the movie.  That's not a great movie.  That's a very good movie.  An 8.5 is a significantly better movie, because 25% of the stuff wrong with an 8 are gone in an 8.5.  A 9 is a movie in which half of everything wrong with an 8 - which itself doesn't have much wrong - is gone.  It is not easy to remove half the problems in a very good movie.  My scale doesn't start at 7, it starts at zero, and every point matters.

That is, at the end of the day, still a subjective attempt at quantifying an otherwise qualitative score.  But it is a judgment I'm perfectly capable of justifying.

Valtyr

• Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 02:36:12 AM »
- Ares.  I found the last act with Ares to be not as interesting as the rest of the movie.  Ares in particular is not a good villain.  He is practically invisible, and that makes it difficult to build him up to be the big bad of the movie.  His presence is always lurking about in terms of Wonder Woman's dialog, but mostly I felt he was bussed into the movie's last act to end the movie.

The end boss fights were indeed a mess. I think allowing the real Ares to survive could fix it - maybe. I think the realization after she kills the general is an important part of her arc, but after that I'm not sure how to have an exciting and satisfactory ending. I think it's important that Diana not realize that she didn't complete her mission but the audience gets a relatively subtle reveal.

But I don't make movies for a living and I'm just spit-balling here.

- Wonder Woman's strength.  So just exactly how strong is Wonder Woman anyway?  We know how strong Superman is.  He's all but bullet proof.  Is Wonder Woman?  She deflects bullets with bracers and her shield.  Can she take a bullet?  We see her wielding power that could rival Superman, but on the other hand we often see her fighting more like Batman.  When she holds off the machine guns with her shield, she looks like she is struggling with something Superman wouldn't.  But she picks up a tank like it was an inflatable duck.  The one thing that I don't think the DC movieverse has figured out yet is just exactly where Wonder Woman is in terms of power.  And this was the one inconsistent thing in the movie that bothered me a little.

I saw it as more of a progression, fulfilling Antiope's insistence that Diana is much stronger than she believes. Kind of like the whole faith the size of a mustard seed moving mountains. It's very, what is word, wishy-washy. The more right, faithful to her cause, or something, the better able she becomes to realizing her full potential. It's softly demonstrated during her final training sequence; she's looking around, to her mother and other Amazons to gage their reaction to how well she is/is not doing. And when she later takes ti the No Man's Land, she gains more confidence and begins her journey of inner confidence and outward strengths.

Or something. I'm on meds so my clarity may be wonky.

Though, even then, her strength grew or shrank as the plot needed it to. I think they tried to show she is bullet resistant after the attack on the island, as a graze on her arm healed surprisingly quick. But that could have also been Amazonian medicine also.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 03:20:53 AM »
I saw it as more of a progression, fulfilling Antiope's insistence that Diana is much stronger than she believes. Kind of like the whole faith the size of a mustard seed moving mountains. It's very, what is word, wishy-washy. The more right, faithful to her cause, or something, the better able she becomes to realizing her full potential. It's softly demonstrated during her final training sequence; she's looking around, to her mother and other Amazons to gage their reaction to how well she is/is not doing. And when she later takes ti the No Man's Land, she gains more confidence and begins her journey of inner confidence and outward strengths.

Or something. I'm on meds so my clarity may be wonky.

Though, even then, her strength grew or shrank as the plot needed it to.

There is a fridge logic explanation for much of it, although in my opinion not all of it.  But it requires spoiler protection:

Spoiler for Hidden:
It is a common trope that the power that gods (small g) wield comes from faith, worship, and belief.  In the same way that Ares feeds on war, it is possible that the power that Wonder Woman taps into is influenced by the degree to which people believe in her, and she in herself.  It is implied that Wonder Woman is a small-g god, created by Zeus to be a weapon that could bring down Ares.  So it makes sense that her strength is lower on the island where few actually believe she is a god, becomes stronger when she inspires other soldiers in no-man's land, and ironically because Ares knows she is the godkiller his belief in her makes her powerful enough to defeat him

But it doesn't fully explain all of it.  Another tiny spoiler:

Spoiler for Hidden:
When she attacks the sniper in the town, she just rams through the building without being significantly injured.  That is resilience on a Kryptonian level.  And yet she seemed to be capable of being injured or at least kept at bay by a normal human being that was drug-enhanced when fighting the general.  That seemed to be too big a swing in power level to be anything but power-fiat to me.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »
Wonder Woman no spoiler review.

8.5 out of 10

The good:

- Movie understands Wonder Woman.

I just cut out the rest of the post to make this easier to scroll through.

This is exactly why the Marvel films work IMO. They understand and do the characters justice. Even though details of origins change, or backgrounds - the fundamental basis of their characters are there.

DC keeps trying to make their heroes into people they are not. The first few Chris Reeve Superman films - got Superman, what motivates him, what makes him work.
Batman has been hit and miss. I remember back in the day people groaned when Keaton was announced as Batman/Bruce Wayne, but he made it work. And the movie 'got' Batman.

The Bale ones for the most part 'got' Batman as well.

They may have gotten lucky with WW but I hope it wasn't just luck. Maybe they learned a bit from their mistakes.

I love the Flash TV show and it will be hard to watch another version on screen, but where DC is concerned, you get used to it.
Looking forward to the full out JLA film. Hope they don't blow it.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »

I believe the insinuation in the movie is that her powers/strength grew as she progressed through the movie until that final battle with Ares when they exploded to her full potential.  So, she learned all that fancy fighting and used it.  Then, when confronted with the no-man's land battle, she grew strong enough to lift that tank and demolish that church tower.  Then, in the final battle with Ares, she ramped up again to "juggle tanks" level and gained rudimentary flight powers (?)

I could be wrong, but that's how I saw it.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »

The Bale ones for the most part 'got' Batman as well.

Except for that last one.   :gonk:

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »
I believe the insinuation in the movie is that her powers/strength grew as she progressed through the movie until that final battle with Ares when they exploded to her full potential.  So, she learned all that fancy fighting and used it.  Then, when confronted with the no-man's land battle, she grew strong enough to lift that tank and demolish that church tower.  Then, in the final battle with Ares, she ramped up again to "juggle tanks" level and gained rudimentary flight powers (?)

I could be wrong, but that's how I saw it.
Not even sure I'd call it "insinuation." We're told throughout the movie that her powers are growing or that she hasn't reached her full potential. Her mother explicitly was fearful of her gaining too much of her powers before she was ready to face Ares.

As for her smashing through the bell tower, I think she might have been helped by her bracelets. They seemed to create like a force bubble around her. We first see it when Antiope attacks her just before Steve shows up.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2017, 08:53:12 PM »
Except for that last one.   :gonk:

Compared to The Dark Knight, Rises is not as strong of a movie, I would agree.  But I think it does "get" Batman in the sense that The Dark Knight Rises says something kind of daring about Batman.  I think that the Nolan trilogy isn't about the birth, life, and death of Batman.  It is really about the birth of the Batman legend.  Nolan's Bruce Wayne is in some sense Batman, but in another greater sense he is the deliberate author of the Batman myth.  From the very beginning in Batman Begins Nolan has Bruce Wayne saying his goal is to create something incorruptible and everlasting; Ras al Ghul tells Bruce that as a man he can be beaten or destroyed but a legend cannot die.

We are supposed to see that Bruce Wayne just isn't really Batman anymore in Rises, and cannot be.  But he can finally create the thing he set out to create from the beginning: a legend, like Robin Hood or Zorro.  Someone that symbolizes justice for the people without actually being there as a crutch people think will save them.  The Nolan Batman is the statue in City Hall that finally recognizes that Batman was always fighting for the people, even when people thought he was a murderer and a cop-killer.  Batman transcends Bruce Wayne and becomes an incorruptible idea.

And that's really what Batman is.  Batman transcends individual depictions of Batman.  That's a very Nolan-esque idea.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »
Compared to The Dark Knight, Rises is not as strong of a movie, I would agree.  But I think it does "get" Batman in the sense that The Dark Knight Rises says something kind of daring about Batman.

No.  As soon as the movie opens and explains that Batman basically "gave up" and went into hiding after the events of the previous movie it blows any chance of "getting" Batman/Bruce Wayne. 

Of course, that's IMO.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 09:11:51 PM »
No.  As soon as the movie opens and explains that Batman basically "gave up" and went into hiding after the events of the previous movie it blows any chance of "getting" Batman/Bruce Wayne. 

Of course, that's IMO.

I don't interpret the information in Rises that way.  The movie states that it takes place eight years after the last "confirmed" sighting of the Batman, but that doesn't mean he immediately retired after the events of The Dark Knight.  There is evidence in the movie that Bruce Wayne continued to operate as the Batman for several years afterward until he felt the combination of the Dent Act and the more aggressive posture by the police towards organized crime allowed Batman to be no longer necessary.  I believe Alfred notes that after they moved back to the rebuilt Wayne manor Bruce continued to use the Batcave for at least some time, which would have had to have been after TDK (since they were still operating from other buildings and Wayne manor was still being rebuilt at that time).

It is also clear that while the official stance of the police department was that Batman was a cop-killer and to be arrested on sight, not all of the police were buying that even eight years later.  It is entirely possible that the last confirmed sighting of Batman was the last one that any police officer was willing to confirm.

Also, it is confirmed in Rises that Bruce Wayne himself did not go into hiding after TDK.  He remained in public for some time, specifically when he turned his attention to the fusion reactor project.  It is implied that Bruce Wayne became a recluse after that project failed.

We know that in the interim Bruce Wayne was still active in monitoring the activities in Gotham, and specifically looking for things that might have been a threat: that is how he came to discover and acquire the Clean Slate program, explicitly to keep it out of criminal hands.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 12:02:28 AM »
Alright, I saw it today and the only thing that really bothered me was the really awkward attempt at a moral/message.  Other than that, it's the best entry in the MCU so far, though that's a pretty low bar.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 12:11:50 AM »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 12:33:10 AM »
"Martha Cinematic Universe"...  how could that possibly be confusing?

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 01:49:00 AM »

That's my mother's name!!!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 07:35:31 AM »
Oh, yes!  Of course!  :D
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
Speaking of Martha....

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 07:42:21 PM »

"Why did you say that name?!" lol

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »
"Why did you say that name?!" lol

Up until that I never even thought about the fact that both Bruce and Clark's mother were Martha.

I knew they both were named Martha , but never thought -  "Hey, Batman and Superman's mom have the same name." (not counting the 4 or 5 imaginary tales where they actually are brothers)

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »
I'm sure Flash's mom's name will get changed to Nora Martha Allen for the movie.
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 09:08:45 PM »
I'm sure Flash's mom's name will get changed to Nora Martha Allen for the movie.
Or Barry will end up boding with Mr. Freeze.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
Finally got around to watching this.

Great film though I couldn't help noticing how much like the first Cap film this is.

Both starts in modern day and then goes to the past to show their origins / training.

Both involve a world war where scientists are making high tech weapons.

Both characters have their beginnings way in the past and the films were released right before the big team film from each company.

She has a shield and blocks bullets like Cap - though she is more of a cross between Captain America and the Hulk.

The scene in WW where she goes alone to cross No Man's Land to rescue the village reminded me so much like the scene where Cap goes alone to rescue the captured soldiers.

Not to say its not a great film, just seems like I saw it already.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »
You focus too much on the surface-level comic tropes and miss the deeper philosophic message that Cap didn't have. Cap was a pretty run-of-the-mill popcorn action flick. WW strived for more.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »
You focus too much on the surface-level comic tropes and miss the deeper philosophic message that Cap didn't have. Cap was a pretty run-of-the-mill popcorn action flick. WW strived for more.

Oh I know that. WW had a lot more to it. I was just noticing how the basic overlying plot seemed similar to the Cap film.

I enjoyed Cap but WW was a much better film overall.

themichigami

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2017, 03:43:29 AM »
Up until that I never even thought about the fact that both Bruce and Clark's mother were Martha.

I knew they both were named Martha , but never thought -  "Hey, Batman and Superman's mom have the same name." (not counting the 4 or 5 imaginary tales where they actually are brothers)

funnily enough my mom's name is actually Martha, it was apparently a really popular name for girls around that time when the books were being written for a few decades, it didn't start to wane in popularity until giving kids biblical names began to fall out of fashion in the 60's and 70's.

also that entire "martha fight" scene in the movie made me want to find whoever was responsible for that garbage making it to the screen and smack them with a rolled-up newspaper, preferably a nice big sunday edition for added sense-knocking-into ability.  just... so painful, most of that movie was painful.  The most enjoyment i had watching it was NOT watching it because the DVD was full of shiny extras and people stunt driving the batmobile, if they had just cut every other character and had someone driving the batmobile around town with sunsets and beauty shots and gunning it around curves on test tracks, THAT i would have given them the ticket price for. 
so shiny.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:55:30 AM by themichigami »

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »
funnily enough my mom's name is actually Martha, it was apparently a really popular name for girls around that time when the books were being written for a few decades, it didn't start to wane in popularity until giving kids biblical names began to fall out of fashion in the 60's and 70's.
The Social Security Administration has a web site where you can look up name popularity by year/decade in the US. https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/index.html

From that, we can see that the name "Martha" was #28 in 1900, was steady in the high 20's - low 30's until about 1950, and then went down to #224 in 1990, and to #698 in 2010.

themichigami

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2017, 05:32:56 PM »
that is really cool to find out, now i can go see if my theory about my name becoming increasingly popular around when i was born because of a certain Beatles song is possibly true.  yay research!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2017, 07:18:34 PM »
that is really cool to find out, now i can go see if my theory about my name becoming increasingly popular around when i was born because of a certain Beatles song is possibly true.  yay research!

"The Walrus" is a great name for any era.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
"The Walrus" is a great name for any era.

Is that the archnemesis of Nowhere Man?