Author Topic: No One Matches the Power of Warlord.....'s nerfs  (Read 6964 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
No One Matches the Power of Warlord.....'s nerfs
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:43:11 PM »
Man oh man oh man oh man....

Can someone who's near the person making decisions for CO please face them and kick them squarely in the groin?

This used to be my favorite Custom. FM gets honorable mention. I still remember getting advice from Brou (Block when you are getting set on fire) when I was learning this Alurt with my now nerfed into the ground Unleashed. It was just fun to run, for lots of reasons. And they just keep chipping away at those reasons until...

Pffft..

I logged off. When I learned that they intentionally made the thing 10x longer and less exciting to run, I logged off.

I've been following CO chat the whole time I play STO and have been looking for a good time to place some CO. Today I had playtime, internet, and the STO advanced queues were as slow as they've ever been (the Normals were busy *shrug*), and, I was reading some Warlord (woohoo) chat in STO... so I was like, well, this is a good time!

Nuuuuu... Wrong... lol...

Hey but they sure made the AE interface colorful.

Man!

Poor CO...  : /

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
Re: No One Matches the Power of Warlord.....'s nerfs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
/tantrum mode: off

OK so.. I had some time to roll around in circles on the ground, kicking my feet, crying "WHY!".

It was nice to see some familiar faces and I'm glad they're still there and the game's still there. CO's a good game with good players and I never liked it when people who don't play anymore pop in after some months/years of not playing just to voice their gripes, so, I don't wanna leave off like that.

To Mr. Warlord's lost appeal: R.I.P. I enjoyed you and wish you a speedy return.

It was fun to pop in today and reply out loud to the title's narration in-game "EXCEPT US!" right before barrel rolling off the balcony like I have done a billion times before...  : )

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 05:40:32 AM »
I'd heard from Zee hero it was being made more punishing and less fun, like Cybermind(a character I think is a real scrappy, stereotype hacker who in real life would be a script kiddie, or even the 127.0.0.1 hacker).  i mean the problem with Cybermind was he was buggy, and didn't give players enough time to react to his annoying puzzle attacks which sometimes changed the rules so he could still hurt people standing on the right colors thanks to glitches and lag.  Made all the more annoying how the devs would nerf counters people found to stop him from doing this things.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »
more punishing and less fun

I bet they have this motto/company goal framed and hung on a wall somewhere.

CO must have been an amazingly fun game back when it was in the hands of the people who made it. I mean, it's a fun game now and it's had years of people screwing it up. Sucking the fun out of it. You I really have to give credit to the players who've stuck with this great game and kept it alive.
Some Faves:

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »
I thought CO was fun partly because it was easy. Fun enough for me to have paid for hundreds of days of play time spread over a few years. Sometimes I like to just run around and stomp a mud hole in all the content.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »
I thought CO was fun partly because it was easy. Fun enough for me to have paid for hundreds of days of play time spread over a few years. Sometimes I like to just run around and stomp a mud hole in all the content.

You had to learn the game for it to feel easy and even then it takes a fair amount of finger juggling because CO is a fast paced game. I contend that it feels easier when it feels funner.

This is assuming you weren't doing something like chaining Eruptions.

Having said that, I totally agree with the above. Nothing wrong with a certain amount of easy. CoH had this too. You know, maybe, how CoH was in the beginning. Kinda Super easy if you were coming from a game like EverQuest. My wife thought CoH was too easy and I thought it was just the right amount of Superhero. Felt awesome to wipe out a map! After getting chased all the way across them.. EQ mobs that could shred me with a sneeze would even chase after me after I Zoned.. And it sucked to die so I ran.

Anyway, yeah. Nothing wrong with a game being so fun it feels easy.
Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »
I am not at all surprised by this. This game will not be remembered like City of. is. Nor will it be remembered like tsw or star wars tor, these games meant something to their fans and devs. It showed in the work, and the fans being hyped. With co, it will be a game that really never had a chance to become something more.
Once they let the forum cartel take over the forums and the devs blaming the fans of it, I knew co would not get any better. It is sad my prediction about it coming true.
The only thing that would do co better is selling the ip to an accomplished developer. And even then the taint of pwe and cryptic will never fully be washed away.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »
I am not at all surprised by this. This game will not be remembered like City of. is. Nor will it be remembered like tsw or star wars tor, these games meant something to their fans and devs. It showed in the work, and the fans being hyped. With co, it will be a game that really never had a chance to become something more.
Once they let the forum cartel take over the forums and the devs blaming the fans of it, I knew co would not get any better. It is sad my prediction about it coming true.
The only thing that would do co better is selling the ip to an accomplished developer. And even then the taint of pwe and cryptic will never fully be washed away.

I totally remember CO as one of my special games.

CO taint complaints aside.......

Logged in for a couple hours last night and it was just fun. All I did was run the queues, whichever one popped first. Mostly the XP ones - I give, remembering if that is a Smash or a Grab.... I had fun people to play with, the queue's were popping fast... *shrug*

Was able to 'forgive' the Warlord changes enough to have fun running it a few times until I ... felt dirty.

Something about changes like this, are, noobs don't even know they happened and if you don't know how Warlord was before, it can still be fun. A lot more vanilla fun, but, fun.

Warlord gets less and less unique. I'm surprised DUC's even still exist or haven't been obsoleteisized somehow.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 08:41:33 PM »

Did someone mention... easy?

a precious screenie survivor.
Some Faves:

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 01:09:18 AM »
Twice now I've started writing a lengthy post about this and deleted them

When people talk about a game being easy or difficult they often are not talking about the same metric of what makes it so. Is the pace too slow or too fast? Is it grindy? Is it tedious? Are the mechanics convoluted? Is it heavily group dependent? Does it take people skills with a high level of being able to coordinate with others to play? Is it as simple as not being competent with the play style such as action vs tab targeting? Are the materials needed to set out a character placed or locked behind aspects of the game many players cannot readily pass?

When I say a game is easy or difficult what I mean by that is how reasonable is it for the average player to excel at the game. And, by excel, what I mean is attain a point in the game with a character where the player can see and do much of the content and acquire much of the resources to do so. Not world first or chart topping levels of excelling, but being able to at least get a group, enter, and survive doing higher end content levels of excelling.

In about 18 years of playing these games I've had the opportunity to test many of them and have long since lost track of how many trials I've played. I've spent 90+ days in 2 dozen or more of them. Of all of those games, CoH is still by far my favorite, but not because the game was a challenge to me. It was my favorite because of the people who I played it with, the people who made it, and because I liked the setting. And I would say that, even though CoH was largely people hanging out while collecting 50s, it still set the bar higher for the average player to excel at than CO.

CO is an easy game. I don't say that because I got used to how it plays. I say that because when compared to all of the other MMOs I've played over the years, it is easy. The bar is set very low in CO in most ways unless I compare it specifically to games like Trove or Horizons. It's certainly takes less to excel at than NW and much less than STO, which would be the closest, most proper comparisons I would think.

Again, that's not a bad thing. Sometimes just smashing things is fun all by itself. CO was good at that.

As a bonus, CO had one of the better MMO RP experiences I've encountered. After a while it was one of the main reasons I kept coming back. That is a testament to the people playing the game, though, not the game itself.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 06:27:27 PM »
It's just about as hard for me to take on a long train of high level mobs in CO as it was in the +4/x8 train, above. It's HARD making that look EASY! btw..  : )

It took just about as much time and effort to become as uber as I could, in both games, and, I would say I have achieved a similar level in both games. Almost as good as the players that inspired me.... but not quite hehe.

Therefore, I put them on ~ the same level of easiness using My .... overall easiness scale.

EQ, that was a hard game. I have over 1000 (3 zeros) alternate advancement points on my old main which used to be phenomenal. Now, I think they give those to you free.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »
Something we have to remember when we're throwing around our opinion of a game we don't/don't hardly play, is, that there are people that think of CO just like people thought of CoH. It's their baby every bit as much as CoH was to CoH'ers. So when we throw our opinion around about how some game is better than CO, we are going to get a very similar reaction as CoH'ers gave to people in similar situations. You know.. Hate, ridicule, maybe some disgust... etc.

Switch CoH with CO, below, and you could be a CO'er. You would just have to subtract the (current) Dev (direction) love.

CoH is still by far my favorite, but not because the game was a challenge to me. It was my favorite because of the people who I played it with, the people who made it, and because I liked the setting. And I would say that, even though CoH was largely people hanging out while collecting 50s, it still set the bar higher for the average player to excel at than CO.

Another valid CO'er comment:

As a bonus, CO had one of the better MMO RP experiences I've encountered. After a while it was one of the main reasons I kept coming back. That is a testament to the people playing the game, though, not the game itself.

Some Faves:

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 02:24:14 AM »
Since I can't think of a tactful, constructive way to word what I think needs to be said here, I'm not going to try and risk being overly blunt and aggressive about it.

I'm also not going to stop voicing my opinion.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 04:14:17 AM »
Since I can't think of a tactful, constructive way to word what I think needs to be said here, I'm not going to try and risk being overly blunt and aggressive about it.

hehe

I'm also not going to stop voicing my opinion.

I was including myself in with the don't hardly play opinion throwers. I mean, that's how this whole topic got started. My only point was that your opinion is your opinion. So's mine. And both probably (I can't find a tactful, constructive way to word... : ) probably pisses a true CO'er off. As would a CoH'er be offended in a similar situation. I just always have that in the back of my mind when I come back here to trash the game that I don't even hardly play anymore but that I know is filled with people that luv it every bit as much as people luved CoH.

Sorry I pissed ya off.
Some Faves:

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 05:11:56 AM »
It definitely looks like whoever is in charge of CO's development hasn't had a single game design 101 class. I mean, I know I haven't either but I can plainly see the stupid in some of these changes.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 04:36:52 PM »
Here's what it is, in this case.. look at Red Winter, too, and (someone break out a list - I bet there is one)..

Someone new in charge likes clearing maps.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 10:27:08 PM »
Here's more new changes for ya! I just found out! Boy oh boy oh boy..

MOANING healers (you know who you are!) get ego stroked in Red Winter under New Management. Want to get highest score on the dps-o-meter? Play a healer.

MOANING "but this is tooooo haaaaaaard" FM participants get to have their precious little costume pieces now without even 'winning'.

*stomps off in a totally fake, inflated for dramatic purposes, huff*

Oh, those moaning healers.. "no one every tells me how great i am, oh boo hoo.."

Well there ya go! EASY High score, for ya. I worked my BUTT off to get those DEEPS and you just walk in there with your fancy shmancy slappy happy heals and quadruple my score.

*more fake outrage ensues*

It's not entiiiiirely fake. My jabs to certain healer personalities (no particular player, at all) and make-it-too-easies are real, but, I don't have the urge to take anyone out back and do them any kind of harm over it..lol Just the urge to make fun, a little.

I was in a 3-Toon/No Vehicle FM earlier and we didn't do too bad.. btw. I'd rather win but some of the losing FM's have been fun too.
Some Faves:

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
Did they really add a chance for the costumes to drop in FM even if you lose? that's honestly an improvement since most teams cannot be realistically expected to beat Ironclad and Durotok.

I think if you win though you should be guaranteed a drop.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 02:28:15 AM »
I've been winning FM in farming teams (Zone auctioned) since my Unleashed main, Leezard!

The costume pieces are all kinda old now, anyway. I'm glad they were hard to get in the beginning. The Malvan shield was my first uber loot, ever. Then I got another one which I kept, which was also uber, and, the boots which I've got in two costumes I use right now. The AF is still my uberest loot as far as something I'm proud of although those are common now, too. No one had one when I got mine! I mean, you can't beat the AF for proof you won a fight that was even harder than a fight that some say:

most teams cannot be realistically expected to beat

Good, Good Times.

Glad you said Hi in game, btw. I didn't look at your Video.. I still have ... substandard Internet. I think it was n8mcd (I probably just murdered his name) that said he got the piece, in Team and in Zone.. It was a name you would recognize. He seemed happy but now that I think of it I remember no Link.. *shrug*

Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »
Here's more new changes for ya! I just found out! Boy oh boy oh boy..

MOANING healers (you know who you are!) get ego stroked in Red Winter under New Management. Want to get highest score on the dps-o-meter? Play a healer.

MOANING "but this is tooooo haaaaaaard" FM participants get to have their precious little costume pieces now without even 'winning'.

*stomps off in a totally fake, inflated for dramatic purposes, huff*

Oh, those moaning healers.. "no one every tells me how great i am, oh boo hoo.."

Well there ya go! EASY High score, for ya. I worked my BUTT off to get those DEEPS and you just walk in there with your fancy shmancy slappy happy heals and quadruple my score.

*more fake outrage ensues*

It's not entiiiiirely fake. My jabs to certain healer personalities (no particular player, at all) and make-it-too-easies are real, but, I don't have the urge to take anyone out back and do them any kind of harm over it..lol Just the urge to make fun, a little.

I was in a 3-Toon/No Vehicle FM earlier and we didn't do too bad.. btw. I'd rather win but some of the losing FM's have been fun too.

I am not surprised, I met a person who had the kind of personality you speak of, the person clearly only rolled healer so they could get in teams cause they were "needed" in other games when they played healer.  But the personality of that player clearly hinted at some level of scrub-like behavior or even some level of narcissism, in that they were very arrogant and very "Play the game my way or else".  They hated that players could pick anything they wanted and really wanted the game to force players to only play in confined rolls to an extreme.  They even accused CoH of having the same hybrid problem(it didn't, course they never played it).  They clearly never even saw how a game could get away from the holy trinity without just making everyone capable of self-healing(like, you know, stopping damage in the first place with well timed debuffs and crowd control, or proactive use of buffs ect).

I hate saying it but some people who play healers really are only doing so in games so they can get in teams easy, not because they are really interested in helping teams.  Heck, I'd even say there may be more dps players who legitimately want to help teams more than the majority of actual healer players, only because DPS players are so common they also have more jerks who give them a bad name.  At least, my experience with CoH I found most blaster players were nice, although not very competent at playing blasters.

Edit: Forgot to mention in the previous paragraph: The player rolled healer also because he wanted people to need him.  He wanted people to need his healer character.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:19:38 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 01:24:34 AM »
I've been that healer is why I can imitate them so good.

It was... like... how long ago was it that EQ came out? that long ago.. but I was the classic self important healer that you speak of.

Thing I don't get, is, I never could get away with that past EQ...LOL... nuuuu. And that was a lonnng time ago. How in the world people like this still exist... *shrug* is what gets me. But they do. No one needs you THAT much like they did back in the day when you could pull that crap and get away with it...on a regular basis....lol   : D

Amazing. That they still roam cyberspace. Cyberdinos.
Some Faves: