Author Topic: City of Heroes IP to be purchased or re-release the game Petition  (Read 7612 times)

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
Solitaire discovered the Petition while he was searching information on NCsoft's stock marketing and post a link on the "New Efforts" thread. I decided to make a separate thread about this topic to save you time finding the link on the "New Efforts" thread and I wanted to spread the word out as much as possible. There is still some hope left in us.

https://www.change.org/p/ncsoft-ncsoft-to-allow-city-of-heroes-ip-to-be-purchased-or-re-release-the-game
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:40:01 PM by Dev7on »

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
Re: City of Heroes IP to be purchased or re-release the game Petition
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
Petition is closed.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »
Sad. Makes my heart ache.
Viva la Virtue!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 04:09:30 PM »
I know there are so many more people who would have signed this, had they known about it.  But, getting the word out to the right crowd is always the hardest part of any public campaign.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:49:32 PM »
I know there are so many more people who would have signed this, had they known about it.  But, getting the word out to the right crowd is always the hardest part of any public campaign.

Truth. I don't think the creator of the petition marketed/promoted it in the right way. I also don't think he gave it enough time to grow through word of mouth and what-not.
Viva la Virtue!

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »
Plus the community has spread out significantly over the last five years and a lot of people have lost touch and stopped actively seeking info about the game. It'd take a pretty substantial catalysing event that got at least some mainstream exposure to rally people in significant numbers now.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 03:21:40 PM »
Plus the community has spread out significantly over the last five years and a lot of people have lost touch and stopped actively seeking info about the game. It'd take a pretty substantial catalysing event that got at least some mainstream exposure to rally people in significant numbers now.

Very true.  The availability of internet access, combined with social media give anyone unprecedented ability to get the word out about anything quite effectively.  However, it still takes a degree of effort to get it in front of the target audience.  Creating a petition, and advertising on sites where there is still a die-hard presence is a good start, but there is so much of the following that have scattered to the winds in the last 5 years.  If more effort had been directed at reaching them, the signature count could would have been in the high hundreds of thousands.  Perhaps even above a million!  As it is, I applaud the idea, but ultimately it feels like...like tears, in the rain.
What was no more, is now reborn!

candidate

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 10:31:37 AM »
Why wasnt the option  used to send mail to all forum users used ?

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »
Why wasnt the option  used to send mail to all forum users used ?

No official word to send.  In the last 5 years the number of door knobs who have had "information" have taken the liberty to rile the coh community  up with their nonsense and zilch has come from disclosure except further distraction and community disenfranchisement... I hope whoever Is doing attempt #4 has the sense to keep a lid on it until something  legally binding is signed.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 08:19:57 PM »
"Wake me up when there's news" isn't a newsletter.  It's there if a development occurs with NCSoft.  If someone wants to spearhead a "Street Team" thread on Task Force Hail Mary and use the Subscribe button to follow it, by all means.  (The difference would be consent: a Street Team would know in advance that this is the kind of message they'd be getting.  The others may not be on board, or see messages like this as an umbrella road to "ads" and unsubscribe to stop it.)

HERC and full time work has me too busy to try something like that... That, and social networking seems to be faster than anything we put on the boards.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
Very true.  The availability of internet access, combined with social media give anyone unprecedented ability to get the word out about anything quite effectively.  However, it still takes a degree of effort to get it in front of the target audience.  Creating a petition, and advertising on sites where there is still a die-hard presence is a good start, but there is so much of the following that have scattered to the winds in the last 5 years.  If more effort had been directed at reaching them, the signature count could would have been in the high hundreds of thousands.  Perhaps even above a million!  As it is, I applaud the idea, but ultimately it feels like...like tears, in the rain.

It wouldn't have gotten nearly that high sadly, the petition to save the game right after the shutdown was announced got just over 20k when attention on it was at it's highest and it's extremely unlikely that anything will exceed that now that the urgency has died.

No official word to send.  In the last 5 years the number of door knobs who have had "information" have taken the liberty to rile the coh community  up with their nonsense and zilch has come from disclosure except further distraction and community disenfranchisement... I hope whoever Is doing attempt #4 has the sense to keep a lid on it until something  legally binding is signed.
"Wake me up when there's news" isn't a newsletter.  It's there if a development occurs with NCSoft.  If someone wants to spearhead a "Street Team" thread on Task Force Hail Mary and use the Subscribe button to follow it, by all means.  (The difference would be consent: a Street Team would know in advance that this is the kind of message they'd be getting.  The others may not be on board, or see messages like this as an umbrella road to "ads" and unsubscribe to stop it.)

HERC and full time work has me too busy to try something like that... That, and social networking seems to be faster than anything we put on the boards.
Exactly, random calls to arms without anything new to justify them will only dishearten people or annoy them making them less likely to check or respond to things down the road. Honestly I don't know what the person who started this one hoped to accomplish by doing this now, or why they decided that this was a good time for a new petition particularly given that now that they are using the IP in MxM they are less likely then ever to sell it.