Author Topic: Unable to get into paragon chat entirely  (Read 2421 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Unable to get into paragon chat entirely
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:44:14 AM »
I keep getting Lost connection to map server when I load in.  Is the server down?
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: Unable to get into paragon chat entirely
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:04:58 AM »
Ok, rebooted my machine and got in.  I think paragon chats latest version is to vulnerable to lctming though.  I was only db editing a costume and couldn't get in when id finished.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Unable to get into paragon chat entirely
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »
I think paragon chats latest version is to vulnerable to lctming though.

Not sure what that means.

I believe you when you say it's not just happening to you, but when I reply to you in Paragon Chat and I get silence back, either the Mapserve disconnects are really frequent, or I'm guessing my replies are not the answer you're looking for.

Am I in the ballpark?

As Codewalker explained, the Mapserve Disconnected message is when the Paragon Chat app loses control of the CoH client.  The most likely cause (but not the only one) is a lack of Memory.

If you got 16-32GB RAM or higher, the reply could be that's plenty and RAM isn't the issue. I thought the same myself until I started getting the error on one of my systems with 8GB.  It's the RAM utilization that makes a difference. In other words, how much RAM is in use?  If your 16GB system is at 90-95% full, Paragon Chat won't run.  Either close apps, or if a memory leak is present and RAM isn't being released, try a restart.  Windows 7-10 also likes using a swap file for 'fast booting' which means the system writes the contents of RAM to the hard drive even with Hibernation shut off.  So if it's not releasing RAM after a reset, look into clearing the swap file. Google has advice on that one.

If that isn't the case, then please let us know.  There may be other things to try, and your issue may help someone with the same problem in any case.

"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran