Author Topic: Old Character Bios  (Read 4094 times)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
Old Character Bios
« on: July 25, 2017, 02:03:38 PM »
Hey all. Sorry if this question has been answered already (couldn't find it...) but is there a way to retrieve old character bios from the files in my old COX data that I still have? I probably couldn't rewrite all my character's info the same if I tried...
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Old Character Bios
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 03:40:50 PM »
Sorry, those were stored server side.  When the game shut down, they went with it.  :(
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 12:24:43 PM »
Ah...crud. Guess I'll be rewriting some stuff then.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

themichigami

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 05:03:12 PM »
that's why I screencapped all my people when the announcement of doom went out, to have all their stuff for posterity.  the "print screen" button can be your friend sometimes.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 07:20:04 AM »
IF YOU used Sentinel+ to back up your characters before the live servers went down, your biography is saved in the XML file that was extracted.  It'll be between the <description> tags.

Just verified this on my own characters.  Remember, DON'T save any changes made to the XML files.  (They're checksummed, so if you edit the contents and the checksum doesn't match if/when the Sentinel+ files are used elsewhere, the file is invalid.)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Borealys

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »
that's why I screencapped all my people when the announcement of doom went out, to have all their stuff for posterity.  the "print screen" button can be your friend sometimes.

See, now why didn't I think of that at the time? That's genius! I really wish I had have done that myself because I took a bit of pride in writing my main toon(s) and alt(s) bios.

Through a stroke of luck though, I managed to find all of my old screenshots (a little over 900) from the CoH/X days. Maybe I might get lucky? :)

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »
I always kept a file in my word processing program for each of my alts, with the name, bio, research pertaining to the character, and any special costume settings.  Now, of course, we can just save the costumes we create, but it's nice to have bio info saved. 

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 02:42:15 AM »
I played it by ear.  I never backed up nothing.
I did have a spreadsheet of my toons.
I would track acclodes, costume slots, incarnate tiers, and if level 50.
My goal was to have all my toons incarnates with all the tiers complete with the 4 auto acclodes.
Atlas medion
Freedom Phalanex
Portal Jockey
Task Force Commander

Now I just want to do a sewer run, a street-sweep, anything again.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »
IF YOU used Sentinel+ to back up your characters before the live servers went down, your biography is saved in the XML file that was extracted.  It'll be between the <description> tags.

Just verified this on my own characters.  Remember, DON'T save any changes made to the XML files.  (They're checksummed, so if you edit the contents and the checksum doesn't match if/when the Sentinel+ files are used elsewhere, the file is invalid.)

I did that and a few months after CoH went down, I lost the drive they were stored on.  So... blehh...  The only CoH files I have now are the download provided by the chat. 

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 08:38:26 PM »
This is one reason why I have safety deposit box.  In addition to all my other copies, I've got one copy locked away in a bank vault.