Author Topic: Geekly tears  (Read 9478 times)

themichigami

• Underling
Geekly tears
« on: July 29, 2017, 06:11:36 PM »
I found out that the paragon chat thing and the forum existed a only few days ago, and after all the prerequisite necessities managed to log in today.  I only manage a brief few minutes with the paragon chat before having to log off because i actually started crying seeing it all somewhat functional again.  i know it's not a thing that should affect someone so badly, but a lot of good times were had in the game, and i never expected it to sneak up on me all at once and actually make me cry.

will definitely have to pull my head out of minecraft more often now that i have found somewhere full of people who cared about CoH to talk to once in a while.

Korbian

Re: Geekly tears
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:20:51 PM »
Cry it out. We all do. Then join us in the fun.

Welcome home, indeed.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:07:11 AM »
True story, no shame in tears. I cried too.

Welcome back!

Lyc~

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:35:22 PM »
I was okay until I installed it on my laptop last night and entered for the first time with all the travel powers available.  Took the tram to Talos, went up on invasion hill (and remembered testing the Rikti invasions on the test server, and how the hill seemed like such a natural place to make a stand and fight, and how it ended up always being that way once the invasions went live...), and was fine.  Totally fine.  Then ran down the hill, hit a badge marker, got the "Badge Earned!" noise and text for the first time in almost five years, and lost it.  Almost cried again just telling my wife about it at lunch.

Thankfully, she gets it.

papa92979

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
I played this game years ago, paid for it for almost 4 years.  I took some time off to play WoW, but i came back,  I even paid for it after it became free to play, I wanted to participate in the end game raids and have  a lvl 54 charcter. I was 2 months away from a major mile stone. a Veteran reward. that allowed my cool enhancments to become active among other cool things. I had my nemisis lolly pop staff, I miss that thing.  Any how. Im happy to at least be able to run around in the CoH world. Thank you so much for this .  I played on the freedom server. I knew the likes of J-man, ... funny guy, and many others who  left me memories of this fantastic game.

My remembered charcters,   
Heros..
   Miss Agony - Kat/inv scrapper
   Cambridge -  Ar/Dev Blaster
   Mastrodom - Axe/Fire Tank
   PapaWeeD - Fire/Rad Controller
   Runan -BS/Reg Scrapper
   Papster - Grav/Kin  Controller

Villans.. I dont remember the names of many here.
   IcyInfection  Ice/Rad -Corruptor
                      Fire/Kin -Corrupter
and a cool Brute.. Stone/Fire
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:37:43 AM by papa92979 »

Borealys

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »
Like many others, Its hard to put into words just what exactly this does to a person.

The moment I logged into Atlas Park, it ALL came flooding back... almost like I never left. I'd fly or super-jump to the places I used to whip by all the time, or some of my favourite perches where I would take some epic screenshots, or even the small hidey-holes me and some of my friends would just hang out in and talk for what seemed hours.

So many amazing and great memories of this game and the people that made it so.

I'm glad there were people that decided to bring this back to us in the way that they have. Words of gratitude will never be enough.

Oh, and I cried like a baby as well lol

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 07:26:49 PM »
First, welcome, welcome to everyone new to Paragon Chat!   :)

I too was nearly overwhelmed with The Feels when logging into Paragon Chat for the first time, exploring zones and mission maps, and hanging and chatting with other players.  I love the weekly Thursday Night Costume Contests, seasonal player events, the Vigil at the end of November, and the seasonal player events, like the upcoming Halloween Fest.

I love seeing and chatting with other players, checking out their latest costumes, and of course the RP. 

And seeing things brought back like the Ski Chalet, the Winter event perks (snow showers in this and that zone, snowball fights, finding and opening presents, giving gift-boxes to others, and the Jingle Jet!) just makes me want to jump up and down with joy!

So many, many thanks to Codewalker and this team for all the goodness you bring back for us! 

DrFortune

• Underling
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 04:37:20 AM »
I don't blame you! I almost did.
I had stopped playing back in 2007ish with every intention of getting back into it... and then it was gone.
Out of luck, I had taken a bunch of screen shots and began to accurately reconstruct my heroes and villains and for me that's when the nostalgia hit... not from playing the game, but the act of choosing the right belt, the right color of that perfect helmet, goggles up or goggles down? I could remember my thought processes from 12 years ago, and it turns out I didn't need the screen shots after all. I just followed the memories Paragon Chat had unlocked. THEN I got misty :D
"I have dreamed a dream... but now that dream is gone from me."

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 02:24:43 AM »
I started with ICON, so Paragon Chat was no big surprise.
My first react to ICON was...Holy Smokes, I can FLY!

Then I discovered some of the commands that PC doesn't have, thank goodness, but you could become a NPC.  I turned on fly, pointed down a bit, turned on autorun and become the Gloden Roller.  "Driving" a Rolls around Atlas Park was a hoot.

Now I like to "build" my old toons and run them around Paragon City, in Paragon Chat.
Badges are fun, but somehow I'm not into them as I once was.
By the way, Paragon Chat was very nearly named "Super Fire Dragon's Fun House of Chat", (if only in my mind).

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 02:15:45 AM »
I was one of those who came to the game very soon after launch.  I had never played an MMO before, and it was so far removed from the first person shooters I had played up to that point.  I was so consumed with learning how to just get around, and do things in this new world, I did not have the opportunity to really enjoy it until I was a month, or so, into it.  But, after that, there was no turning back!  I was with it until the end, and still miss it terribly.  Though I have played other games in the years since it shut down, I don't really play any of them anymore, and I have more fun badge hunting in Paragon Chat, reminiscing about the good times had with my Supergroup in all the places I explore once more.

Thank goodness for CodeWalker, and his efforts on Paragon Chat, that allows me to keep the memories alive.

What was no more, is now reborn!

Doomguide

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 05:01:57 AM »
Wiping a few sniffles away tonight after getting it all installed and then had a good laugh too ... made my "first" character, entered the tutorial instead of AP.  Not finding a way out (duh) came here to poke around and see if there was a way to get her into AP.  Came back and there it was hanging over my head:

AFK   

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 06:11:13 AM »
I'm so glad this is here for us to share the City together.

I pop in when I can, or when I'm really feeling down just to explore and revisit the City. Hearing the Atlas Park theme as I run or swoop into the area almost always makes me smile. I badge hunt a bit occasionally, but most of the time when I hop on, I find myself messing around in AE working on stories that I may one day get to publish again for myself and others to play. Who knows, right? :)

Lyc~

lunawisp

• Minion
    • lunawisp - general gaming blog!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 07:04:56 AM »
I logged in a few weeks ago and found people dancing under the Atlas statue. It was just like old times, except of course we were all level 1 and there was nothing to kill defeat. I know exactly what you mean about the music, some of my favourites are in Steel Canyon. I found most of the music on CoX quite uplifting even though I did eventually turn it off while playing - you can only listen to the things a few hundred times...
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes, she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Backneedle

• Tomorrow's Hero 2017
  • Underling
  • 12 Year Vet.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 10:05:50 PM »
The music alone should make you cry  :-[ :-[ :'( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCHp7P5nrsw

BitLoadR

• Lieutenant
  • <F6> <F6> <F6> ...
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 09:40:34 AM »
The music alone should make you cry  :-[ :-[ :'( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCHp7P5nrsw

:'(

This was (I think) the first video I saw of CoH and it made me want to play the game. I was just casually searching Google for games related to super heroes and stumbled upon this video.
The day I knew the game would be available in the stores I took a day off from work and waited at the door of the computer store before opening.
As they opened I ran up to the counter (I was the only customer, but who cares at that point) and asked them if they had the game.
The clerk remembered ordering 1 copy of the game, because they were not sure if it would sell.
But they hadn't unpacked the cargo yet. So I told him I would wait until they did.
The good guy went out to the back, I heard some noises and talking.
About 10 minutes later (I think, not sure, seemed like ages), the guy comes back with the only copy of the game they had.

I bought it and ran home.

Installed the game...
...it asked for account details.

Opened the CoH website and clicked "register"...
..."credit card required!", I don't have a credit card!

Opened VISA website, ordered a credit card, had to wait a couple of days for it to arrive.

Registered my account, billed to credit card, logged in the game, spend the first 3 hours (I guess) messing with the creator and coming up with names.
But I was in, I was playing. This was my first MMO (never did WoW) and it was awesome!

To quote Sally from Watchmen "I was a hero g*ddmnt!"
playing on Reunion as Star Jewel, Emberflair, Lumitia, Novaspark, Dawnshade, Mystfure, Ion Blaze, Heatstrike, more...

Cheesy

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 05:14:00 PM »
I've cried too. Good tears.

Lucious

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 08:57:21 AM »
Just found out about Paragon Chat, made my main I had on live and then logged in...... arrrghhh I am so very sad right now, all of the memories just flooded right back in. Like many of you I played this game for many years and had many toons. I miss this game so badly. It was my first MMO, nothing has come close to replacing this.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 10:06:41 PM »
I started with ICON, so Paragon Chat was no big surprise.
My first react to ICON was...Holy Smokes, I can FLY!

Then I discovered some of the commands that PC doesn't have, thank goodness, but you could become a NPC.  I turned on fly, pointed down a bit, turned on autorun and become the Gloden Roller.  "Driving" a Rolls around Atlas Park was a hoot.

Now I like to "build" my old toons and run them around Paragon City, in Paragon Chat.
Badges are fun, but somehow I'm not into them as I once was.
By the way, Paragon Chat was very nearly named "Super Fire Dragon's Fun House of Chat", (if only in my mind).

I meant to say that I started with ICON after the shut-down.

I used to be all over Protector.  (The devs, during special events, would call it, "The Little Server that could."  because we always did.

KenRyan

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 06:38:52 PM »
I know this is almost a year old, but my wife and I just had this same reaction. She reported the same thing about the badge thing. It was just "hey, this is really cool!" And then the Atlas badge (she was a serious badge hunter in the day) came in and she got all coked up. This is seriously amazing.

It's May of 2018 as I write this. With so much of this functionality available - and the fact that I can actually go see my wife (even though she is sitting right next to me IRL :-P) in her toon-form, and we can dance together and fly together and chat. Seems so silly since we're talking to each other as we do this. But still....

I am not a developer or programmer, but with all this functionality, how much harder would it be to put in the game play elements again? I'm guessing VERY much harder. Sigh.

Do folks here ever do any get-togethers in Paragon Chat? Do anything to share this experience?

This is an emotional day when not much will get done IRL :-).

I'm grateful for this. Is this being made available by the original CoH/CoV company?