Author Topic: Paragon Chat/Island Rum Mac Installation instructions  (Read 19765 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
Paragon Chat/Island Rum Mac Installation instructions
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:47:57 PM »
1.  Download the Wineskin Mac Client.  Put it in a folder like Applications.

2.  Download Island Rum for Mac.  Put that in a folder like Applications as well.

3.  Launch Island Rum, and select the folder containing the Wineskin Mac Client (such as Applications).  Wait for it to finish scanning and downloading.  Multiple scans may be required if some of the file downloads fail.

4.  You can now hit the Play button to launch Paragon Chat!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat/Island Rum Mac Installation instructions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
Does this resolve the problems MAC users have had with loading/running Paragon Chat?

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »
Does this resolve the problems MAC users have had with loading/running Paragon Chat?

If you mean the inability to select the path, not really.  That's a separate Paragon Chat fix.

mephron

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 12:49:00 AM »
This is not working for me. I downloaded them both, installed them both in the Applications folder, ran Island Rum, it downloaded everything. Then I click on the blue triangle, it gets a green checkmark, and.... absolutely zip occurs other than my mac's fan going full blast.

Is there a single, simple, easy to read one-place description of what to do? I've been poking at this on an off for a week and I'm about to AppZapper this and forget about it.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 05:50:07 AM »
Is there a single, simple, easy to read one-place description of what to do? I've been poking at this on an off for a week and I'm about to AppZapper this and forget about it.

Right at the top of this thread.  There's a new Island Rum as of tonight (it should auto-update to 102020171) that is more stubborn about downloading the I24 files, and the broken mirrors in the manifest have been cleaned up.  I just tested Paragon Chat before posting this just to make sure, and it did launch.

Make sure to let Paragon Chat itself install in its default location, and then click the gear icon and point it to the "I24 files" (should be something like c:\Program Files\coh).

If you have the whole thing installed in Applications, and you aren't an administrator user, you might have problems.

Beyond that there's only a limited amount of things I can do to help, since I *am* all the Mac tech support there is.

AngelFireAKAL

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 07:58:52 AM »
After downloading all the files and hitting play. It exits out and a screen to install wineskin pops out. I had already downloaded the wineskin zip before....

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »

mephron

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 03:15:36 PM »
Right at the top of this thread.  There's a new Island Rum as of tonight (it should auto-update to 102020171) that is more stubborn about downloading the I24 files, and the broken mirrors in the manifest have been cleaned up.  I just tested Paragon Chat before posting this just to make sure, and it did launch.

Make sure to let Paragon Chat itself install in its default location, and then click the gear icon and point it to the "I24 files" (should be something like c:\Program Files\coh).

If you have the whole thing installed in Applications, and you aren't an administrator user, you might have problems.

Beyond that there's only a limited amount of things I can do to help, since I *am* all the Mac tech support there is.

I don't actually have a 'gear icon'. This is what I see:

If I click on the little palm-tree image, I get the option to 'reset path', I set it for the CoH app in the Applications folder, click the play button, and then it does nothing. After about one minute, I get a message it terminated. I tried to post the error log, but it's too big for here.

I am using an account with Administrator privs.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 03:21:15 PM by mephron »

AngelFireAKAL

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 04:59:37 PM »
I am having the same issue as Mephron. I even redownloaded Wineskin and Island Rum and reset path and such.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 12:09:36 AM »

There's a new build trickling its way through the update system that should help with some of these issues.

mephron

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 03:46:53 AM »
I just installed 102120171, reset the path to Coh.app, and still nothing is starting. No crash this time, just... nothing at all.

I click the Play button and see "Launching Paragon Chat", and then after a few seconds it goes back to no checkmark, no words.

AngelFireAKAL

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 04:22:40 AM »
^ Same as Mephron. lol XD

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
It takes a while to load but eventually does.

I'm getting stuck where it says

"First, you need to find the folder where your City of Heroes - Issue 24 Beta client is installed."

It lets me navigate to

C:\Program Files\coh\cityofheroes.exe

But when I click "Try Again" nothing happens.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 11:30:33 PM »

Older versions of Paragon Chat do that.  Try deleting ParagonChat.exe from the CoH folder (If you're using the Winetricks app, right click the CoH app, select Show Contents, then drive_c, Program Files, CoH) and then issuing a Rescan from Island Rum.

AngelFireAKAL

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 03:23:44 AM »
So no new news in regards to the problem Mephron and I are having about it just not wanting to start? Freaking Macs lol

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 05:38:07 AM »
So no new news in regards to the problem Mephron and I are having about it just not wanting to start? Freaking Macs lol

It should have auto-reverted to 072620171 - if not, re-download it at https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

I'm testing a beta of a newer version with a small group, hopefully I can get it to be better behaved soon.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:42:44 AM by Manga »

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
Thanks, Manga! I got rid of the old file and tried again and it works.

Super Titan

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 10:44:52 PM »
Hi guys,

Sorry to bother, but I've been trying to make Island Rum work for hours nows, and i'm starting to feel a bit frustrated.
Maybe I'm not doing it right hu, I'm not expert. Anyway is there anything that can be done to help me use Paragon Chat ??... please... :'(

Clicking and clicking again... but nothing happens, then island rum just quit...

Of course i tried this : "Older versions of Paragon Chat do that.  Try deleting ParagonChat.exe from the CoH folder (If you're using the Winetricks app, right click the CoH app, select Show Contents, then drive_c, Program Files, CoH) and then issuing a Rescan from Island Rum."... but then I have to re-download the 120 files from the beginning... :( :( :(

Edit : working now but only when I use the PC version with Tequila (I switch to PC from Mac, using Bootcamp)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:52:32 AM by Super Titan »

Super Titan

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 01:53:29 AM »
Is there anyone who can help me to make Island Rum work on Mac please ?
Clicking and clicking again... but nothing happens, then island rum just quit...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:56:24 AM by Super Titan »

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
Is there anyone who can help me to make Island Rum work on Mac please ?

Follow the directions in the first post in this thread.