Author Topic: Happy 8th CO!  (Read 10759 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Happy 8th CO!
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
No love for the 8th anniversary...? Well, it is indeed Champions Online's 8th Anniversary.

Kudo's to this year's excellent anniversary splash screen. A glass *clink* to CO's regulars.

I think it's been 4 years now for me (at least) that people have been saying CO is doomed for failure. CO is still going as strong as ever (you can take that how you want!) due to, imho, it is just a great game. You can make the toon you want, you can be the toon you want. Pretty much. A lot closer than I ever imagined when I was reading comic books, for sure..

Luv ya CO! Continued success. For the years I played regularly I never missed a single day of logging in. Even when I'm not actively playing I'm always glad you're around and will always come back to at least visit one of my most favorite comic book games ever.

Sometimes I wish I could play my two online games at once - all favorite toons at once. Like I used to wish I could give all my dogs the love of one dog due to they had more demands than I had time. Probably like some people feel about their kids!

Yer a good kid, Junior. *Pats CO*. Happy Birthday : )
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: Happy 8th CO!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 03:38:48 PM »
?CO!

Don't think it has the community that COH did, but I think it's at least equal in just about all other ways.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:56 PM »
CO is still going as strong as ever...

God only knows how. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike CO. Just that, for me, it falls in the same realm as SWTOR; lots of wasted potential. Biggest difference between the two is TOR has the publicity.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »
Did you pick up the new vehicle for all your toons, Xev?

It's fairly nice I think. :D

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »
God only knows how.

It's because the game at it's core is just that good. Good enough to survive all that's been thrown at it until now.

Regular players keep the backbone strong. New players bring in the excitement. Nerfs and uninspiring development bring comments like yours and ex-player/backup game player statuses like mine.

Did you pick up the new vehicle for all your toons, Xev?

It's fairly nice I think. :D

Yay, Kaos!  : )

I'm not a big vehicle fan but yeah, I grabbed it on a few toons and should grab it on the rest if I still can. They do come in handy sometimes even for me (Travelling across Andrith comes to mind..) due to I never have a ranked flight power. I've not even looked at it yet, though. Very cool giveaway, though. I know I had vehicle envy until I finally tried one. Vehicles used to be pretty darn hard for newb players to get, too.

I've had to dodge some nerf problems but otherwise it's been fun playing again and I plan on doing more and I definitely wish CO a happy anniversary.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »
God only knows how. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike CO. Just that, for me, it falls in the same realm as SWTOR; lots of wasted potential. Biggest difference between the two is TOR has the publicity.

Yeah that and their flaws being inverted. TOR dumped tons of effort into building an awesome game world full of interesting storylines then just copy pasted the same bland variation free character creation and mechanics systems you see in every WoW wannabe fantasy MMO while CObdid the opposite building arguably the single best character creator ever put into an MMO matched with unique and highly customizable mechanics only to stick it in a world that feels like a particularly low budget Chinese knockoff of the narmiest silver age comic world imaginable.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 02:26:31 PM »
To be fair, that is the Champions setting. Back when I was regularly playing and running groups we often used the HERO system, but even when we played super heroes we never used the Champions material for a reason.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
...narmiest silver age comic world imaginable.
That's the beauty of it.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 10:34:37 PM »
That's the beauty of it.

I would say they have just the right amount of narm.
Some Faves:

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 07:18:57 AM »
Its nearly impossible to take any of it seriously, CoX wasn't perfect in this regard particularly with some of their earliest stuff, but they did always at least attempt to give NPCs depth and story arcs gravity. Its particularly glaring how badly CO is lacking in this front when you look at the content from CoH's later issues. And when CoX did go cheesy it was mostly in a way that was self aware and genuinely funny.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »
Its nearly impossible to take any of it seriously, CoX wasn't perfect in this regard particularly with some of their earliest stuff, but they did always at least attempt to give NPCs depth and story arcs gravity. Its particularly glaring how badly CO is lacking in this front when you look at the content from CoH's later issues. And when CoX did go cheesy it was mostly in a way that was self aware and genuinely funny.

Yes. CoH actually made me feel like a superhero most of the time.

Didn't mean to make this into a crap-on-CO thread, I'm just amazed the game is still around despite not having any major changes or releases (compared to, say, DCUO or STO), just maybe the odd alert or event, or stuff added to the Z-Store. Good for them, I just wish the game could realize it's potential.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
To each their own, but cheese is delicious.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 06:15:20 PM »
Yes. CoH actually made me feel like a superhero most of the time.

Didn't mean to make this into a crap-on-CO thread, I'm just amazed the game is still around despite not having any major changes or releases (compared to, say, DCUO or STO), just maybe the odd alert or event, or stuff added to the Z-Store. Good for them, I just wish the game could realize it's potential.

I totally get what you are saying. I might replace 'amazed' with 'happy' in how you restated your point, above, but amazed definitely works, too. I don't take what you are saying as negative and I totally stick to my earlier not negative response  : )

Your point can be taken as a positive towards the game's core and the game's core players. A big positive.. This, is how I choose to take it.

mmmmm.... cheese....
Some Faves:

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 06:57:53 PM »

Cheese gives me a stomach ache....

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 11:19:50 PM »
Cheese gives me a stomach ache....

Sour cream, oddly, settles my stomach.

Sour cream and cheese....mmmm

With salsa and chips... yeah...

Carry on.
Some Faves:

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 02:51:58 AM »
Cheese can be great when served to compliment or go alongside other dishes but pile it relentlessly on top of everything or eat nothing but it and you'll end up horribly constipated and unsatisfied.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »
Thing is, you say you can't take anything in CO seriously, but imo, the world of CO seems to be a lot more dire than CoH.

Despite that, it is a wacky place. I love the fact that I can stand beside a guy looking like Arachnos and another guy looking like the Pink Panther at the same time.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 03:52:44 PM »
Nothing against the game at all, but I'd rather be celebrating COH's 13th Anniversary.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »
Thing is, you say you can't take anything in CO seriously, but imo, the world of CO seems to be a lot more dire than CoH.

Despite that, it is a wacky place. I love the fact that I can stand beside a guy looking like Arachnos and another guy looking like the Pink Panther at the same time.

I'd say it's not anywhere near as dire compared to CoH.  Partly because it's always the 'same' thing, always the same plot involving the qlithopic world.  Everything else never moves forward.  This was in contrast to CoX where you had multiple story archs from multiple branches, and when it did focus on one plot(the praetorian world) it went further into detail than CO ever did with the qlithopic invasion.

I think overall, though, it was the writing quality where CoH excelled at.  It was far wittier and more creative than CO.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 08:28:20 PM »
Cheese can be great when served to compliment or go alongside other dishes but pile it relentlessly on top of everything or eat nothing but it and you'll end up horribly constipated and unsatisfied.
Just keep your plunger handy.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov