Author Topic: Happy 8th CO!  (Read 10805 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Happy 8th CO!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »
I love the fact that I can stand beside a guy looking like Arachnos and another guy looking like the Pink Panther at the same time.

I popped in-game once encircled by a Hottiest of Hotties convention.. That was a pretty good moment.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
*toots party horn*
Happy 8th, CO!
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »
*spikes punch*

*twirls propeller on party hat*

woohoo!
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
*plays with his toy Mechanon*

*throws a taco at it*

*does the Awesome Dance*
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
CO made me feel like 10 times the super hero I ever felt like in COH, although I only played COH for an hour before I ran screaming from its awful and quite un heroic feeling early player experience.

CO now though is just a gallery of wasted potential and an awful game. the sole redeeming quality is the character creator, the world is fine, but the content design is worse than terrible,

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 01:37:33 PM »
CO made me feel like 10 times the super hero I ever felt like in COH, although I only played COH for an hour before I ran screaming from its awful and quite un heroic feeling early player experience.

:o  Yep, way to give it a fair chance, there.   :roll:

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »
it was bad enough that I really didn't want to suffer through it. I'm sure I would have loved the game if their low level experience wasn't so terrible.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »
it was bad enough that I really didn't want to suffer through it. I'm sure I would have loved the game if their low level experience wasn't so terrible.

lol stop baiting people.. Bad Zee, bad!

CoH rocked your world, you know it.
Some Faves:

ZeeHero

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
I didn't like it much. it had a pretty poor early game experience so I went back to CO and didnt look back. At that time CO still looked like it might be salvageable, and the early player experience was far better.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »
I think the 8th is over, so, we may as well hijack this post.

I didn't like it much. it had a pretty poor early game experience so I went back to CO and didnt look back. At that time CO still looked like it might be salvageable, and the early player experience was far better.

Ah. You didn't try CoH when it first came out.

This is something I had in my favor. That, and I was a comic book collector as a kid. Put those two things together and CoH was a dream come true.

My wife wasn't nearly as impressed with it. We'd been playing EQ and she thought CoH was just too easy.

Me, I had the above in my favor + I got ..... a thrill out of taking on whole parking lots full of mobs. After playing a game where a single mob could chase you through several zones if it was tough enough and wanted to... I liked the change. I liked being SUPER.

and then we of course got nerfed a bunch of times.

And Retcons were added! Right off, real early. This made up for a lot of nerfing. Having no retcons was just too .... final.

Anyway, that's how I remember CoH. My comics finally came to life and I could kick the crap out of entire parking lots after being used to being chased across landscapes while wearing a fancy bathrobe. For me it was a big Win.

Some Faves:

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 08:10:30 PM »
I think the 8th is over, so, we may as well hijack this post.

Ah. You didn't try CoH when it first came out.

This is something I had in my favor. That, and I was a comic book collector as a kid. Put those two things together and CoH was a dream come true.

My wife wasn't nearly as impressed with it. We'd been playing EQ and she thought CoH was just too easy.

Me, I had the above in my favor + I got ..... a thrill out of taking on whole parking lots full of mobs. After playing a game where a single mob could chase you through several zones if it was tough enough and wanted to... I liked the change. I liked being SUPER.

and then we of course got nerfed a bunch of times.

And Retcons were added! Right off, real early. This made up for a lot of nerfing. Having no retcons was just too .... final.

Anyway, that's how I remember CoH. My comics finally came to life and I could kick the crap out of entire parking lots after being used to being chased across landscapes while wearing a fancy bathrobe. For me it was a big Win.
One of the most underrated things about CoX was that they really made you feel powerful and then eventually figured out how to both make the game challenging /and/ make you feel like a demigod though the adjustable difficulty settings (something I'm shocked that so few other mmos have attempted let alone at the level CoX did with updated one letting you adjust both enemy numbers and power separately), challenge coming from the fact that you were almost always outnumbered so even when you were struggling you were still dropping foes left and right( there is a huge difference in the feel of getting wrecked by an enemy you only manage to get down to half health and falling to a group of like eight but still managing to kill four of them before you go down and even at lower levels you were basically always fighting at least two to one odds), and the clear and consistent ranking system for enemy power relative to level so you knew that this particular foe you were having trouble with was special making beating them all the more satisfying.
The invention and incarnate systems amplified these by making you stronger without rendering older content obsolete and letting you take on small armies and go toe to toe with some of the games most iconic characters and group up with people to take on the military force of an entire nation.
Solo play did really drag at the earlier levels before you built an attack chain though, and they really only dealt with that by making it easier to power level though them. Most games are kinda like that though with CO being a notable exception however after that CO plateaus hard with the mid levels dragging on and progression completely halting at forty compounding the lack of an end game.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:39 PM »
I never had that feeling in CoX. I get it more in CO.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2017, 11:11:40 PM »
One of the most underrated things about CoX was that they really made you feel powerful and then eventually figured out how to both make the game challenging /and/ make you feel like a demigod though the adjustable difficulty settings (something I'm shocked that so few other mmos have attempted let alone at the level CoX did with updated one letting you adjust both enemy numbers and power separately), challenge coming from the fact that you were almost always outnumbered so even when you were struggling you were still dropping foes left and right( there is a huge difference in the feel of getting wrecked by an enemy you only manage to get down to half health and falling to a group of like eight but still managing to kill four of them before you go down and even at lower levels you were basically always fighting at least two to one odds), and the clear and consistent ranking system for enemy power relative to level so you knew that this particular foe you were having trouble with was special making beating them all the more satisfying.
The invention and incarnate systems amplified these by making you stronger without rendering older content obsolete and letting you take on small armies and go toe to toe with some of the games most iconic characters and group up with people to take on the military force of an entire nation.
Solo play did really drag at the earlier levels before you built an attack chain though, and they really only dealt with that by making it easier to power level though them. Most games are kinda like that though with CO being a notable exception however after that CO plateaus hard with the mid levels dragging on and progression completely halting at forty compounding the lack of an end game.

Yup.

Like you say, soloing your way through the levels gets grindy in every game. So that's not really a CoH thing.

The adjustability of mob strength and size is a very CoH thing and I liked it, too. Depending on my situation (Farming/AE'ing, PL'ing, XP'ing, Challenging myself, Plowing my way through a mish, etc) I could fine tune how difficult I wanted things to be, pretty well. And then gradually bump that level up... (unless I was just trying to breeze through something). I dunno if it made me feel demigodey... There were some times in the AE when it made me feel pretty badass, though  : D  +4/x8 ftw.

Leveling in CO, to me, is all about the Alurts.. Especially in the mid levels to 40 when I become less and less of a victim to 'bad' teams. Stack on as much XP boost as I can and run some Grabs. My newbs always start out running mishes with the intent of not falling back on Grabs but it never happens. Just too easy to run Grabs. If there's some bad Grabs.. I just run them again later. Still the least taxing way on my patience to level in the end. And I team my way to 40, too! Without having to put teams together. This is the #1 best thing about queues and not just CO Alurts. (Alurt is the correct spelling for the word's pronunciation, in-game, btw..)

Mechassassin........ALURT !

f/x  ; )
Some Faves: