Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 9052 times)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Star Trek Discovery
« on: September 26, 2017, 05:20:10 AM »
Surprised there isn't already a thread on this.

I didn't get to see the whole episode cause I had to record it, and apparently 60 Minutes went longer than 60 minutes... From what I did see, there was more I didn't like than did. It felt like every other CBS action-drama, and pretty much craps on a lot of existing Trek lore. As a standalone sci-fi show, it might not be bad. Definitely not worth the CBS All Access sub, IMO.

I'll just stick to The Orville for my "new Trek" fix.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:36:20 AM »
I haven't seen it because it's not very... ::puts on sunglasses:: ...Accessible
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:43:53 AM »
I read a lot of complaints about it not being on time, due to football.  I don't understand how people can still be so dumb.  I add an extra hour of recording time to anything on Sundays on channels that has Sunday afternoon football.  Some people just get their knickers in a bunch over nothing.

STD: (funny initials) - too dark, too much angled cameras.  But STD isn't the only show that bothers me about the new fangled camera angles that new shows use.  That may be perhaps why I don't watch a lot of new shows (that, and most are not very good.. yet I love a lot of the 60s shows that would never get made today... Gilligan's Island)

I didn't like the Klingons' new look.  What's wrong with the TNG+ Klingons?   They just had to be different?   The plastic looks a bit wet... slimy Klingons?  I didn't realize it when watching, but others complained that all that prosthetics made the Klingon actors stiff in their movements.  We won't be seeing any *cough* sexy female Klingons.

The lead character starts off with a mutiny in the first episode?   Yeah, not captain material.

Too high tech stuff (Star Wars-like comm device) for a prequel to TOS.

I ain't payin' for special channels.  The Orville will be the fun sci-fi near-Star Trek show I'll be watching.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »
Best TV Trek since DS9 ended, and lots better than any movie in ages.

But still not worth CBS All Access.

Not really fond of the prequel nature nor the new Klingons. Other than Michael, the cast is completely lackluster. Otherwise, it was good.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
I read a lot of complaints about it not being on time, due to football.  I don't understand how people can still be so dumb.  I add an extra hour of recording time to anything on Sundays on channels that has Sunday afternoon football.  Some people just get their knickers in a bunch over nothing.

No DVR where I am.  Kept seeing the time as 8:30pm, when I tuned in, it still wasn't on.  Plus, I was sick that night... when it did come on, I couldn't stay awake. That's not CBS's fault, of course.

I really don't watch anything on CBS, so $5 a month per episode for the 5 months to watch it (now-Nov, then Feb-March for 15 total weeks)... or $25-30 to get it in box-set form after the season is over.  Hmm...
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 02:28:02 AM »
Won't watch.  And won't help CBS in their con game.  The reason they put this on all access is to attempt to leverage the services like Netflix and Hulu into paying more for their programming.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 05:00:25 AM »
There were a lot of thing I did not care for in this Star Trek. I watched it without reading up on the background, setting, time frame. It seemed bent on taking huge risks, but at the same time repeating cliche failed strategies from earth's past.

I think I need the spoiler thingy here
Spoiler for Hidden:
Why did Michael take off on a limited flight from Discovery? They said why a shuttle craft couldn't reach the soon to be identified Klingon artifact, but why not get in closer with a shuttle craft and then take the space suit trip? Why couldn't they retrieve her unconscious body with a shuttle?

What is up with the Klingon caskets? In STtNG, two Klingon combatants refused to take hostages and they cared not what happened to the empty husk of their fallen comrade once they warned the dead another Klingon warrior was joining them.

Why did the Captain assume she was one of Hitler's generals in Stalingrad and maintain withdrawal was not an option?

How did the Klingons get a cloaking device from the Romulans before TOS even introduced cloaking?

Why did only the Captain and her 'relieved of command' Number One go on an away team mission with only two of them to the Klingon ship?

Why in the heck did Michael shoot the Klingon captain in the back, causing his death when she herself said making him a martyr would start a huge war?

Have we seen enough instances of ships intentionally colliding with their foes? What is this Ben Hur?

I was riveted. I did look forward to some explanations. I really wanted it to end as a hologram examination testing Michael's fitness to be a Starfleet captain.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
There were a lot of thing I did not care for in this Star Trek. I watched it without reading up on the background, setting, time frame. It seemed bent on taking huge risks, but at the same time repeating cliche failed strategies from earth's past.

I think I need the spoiler thingy here
Spoiler for Hidden:
Why did Michael take off on a limited flight from Discovery? They said why a shuttle craft couldn't reach the soon to be identified Klingon artifact, but why not get in closer with a shuttle craft and then take the space suit trip? Why couldn't they retrieve her unconscious body with a shuttle?

What is up with the Klingon caskets? In STtNG, two Klingon combatants refused to take hostages and they cared not what happened to the empty husk of their fallen comrade once they warned the dead another Klingon warrior was joining them.

Why did the Captain assume she was one of Hitler's generals in Stalingrad and maintain withdrawal was not an option?

How did the Klingons get a cloaking device from the Romulans before TOS even introduced cloaking?

Why did only the Captain and her 'relieved of command' Number One go on an away team mission with only two of them to the Klingon ship?

Why in the heck did Michael shoot the Klingon captain in the back, causing his death when she herself said making him a martyr would start a huge war?

Have we seen enough instances of ships intentionally colliding with their foes? What is this Ben Hur?

I was riveted. I did look forward to some explanations. I really wanted it to end as a hologram examination testing Michael's fitness to be a Starfleet captain.

Without reading your spoiler thingy I can probably answer your questions, at least if they have anything to do with continuity with the universe.  The executives informed the writers that they could completely ignore continuity to tell their story.  That it didn't matter if the events and people diverged completely because what "prime" universe meant was that going forward in the show this is the real universe and the other shows and movie had no bearing on it.  When I have the time I'll see if I can find the article.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:29:33 PM »
And won't help CBS in their con game.

Everyone outside the US gets to watch it on Netflix.  Why do I have to pay for yet another streaming service if I want to watch?  I'll watch it if it ever becomes available on Netflix or Hulu.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:35:08 AM »
Sorry but to me this isn't a Star Trek TV show. Firstly, the ship, there is no way Star Fleet would go from the NX ship to a ship that has missing places in the saucer section. Secondly, the ship looks Klingon not Star Fleet. The back looks like a D series bird of prey. Third, the Klingons look nothing like the classic, Enterprise, or Next Gen. Klingons. The directors or CBS probably said, lets remake the classic race. Fourth after reading everything that went on, back stage, such as directors writers quitting gave me no hope for the series.

For my Star Trek feel of a show, I will watch Orville.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 04:32:33 AM »
Yeah, The Orville has been surprisingly good.  I was expecting it to just be zany, irreverent nonsense, but it takes itself more seriously than I was expecting.  In fact, the humour is largely kinda flat, forced, and has a sort of contractually obligated feel to it.  But when it's not forcing the humour, it feels somewhere between TOS and TNG.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »
The ship doesn't look remotely Klingon, and we've seen Federation ships like this before.

Frankly, it looks better than most Federation ships... Enterprises included.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 12:18:47 AM »
When does it air next? (in the US) Their site says Sundays at 8:30 Easter, but our local on-screen guide doesn't show it.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 01:47:40 AM »
It won't air again on US Broadcast stations.

Star Trek: Discovery is only on CBS: All Access going forward.  Last Sunday was a preview of the series.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 02:14:05 AM »
It won't air again on US Broadcast stations.

Star Trek: Discovery is only on CBS: All Access going forward.  Last Sunday was a preview of the series.

Wow, they're not going to like the results of that decision.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 09:09:09 PM »
According to SyFy's Facebook page, STD (heh) has been pirated "a lot" since going to CBS All Access.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 02:26:46 AM »
The ship doesn't look remotely Klingon, and we've seen Federation ships like this before.

Frankly, it looks better than most Federation ships... Enterprises included.
Sorry I disagree, the real ship has yet to be shown. However, there are videos on YouTube that shows what the ship will look like.
Sorry but for the ship looks that is your opinion, and I respect it. Enterprise's was inspired by the Akira class. To me they only ships the first ship in Discovery that looks better is the Oberth class, and the tier 3 ships in STO.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 02:25:42 PM »
We saw the real ship (the Discovery) on screen Sunday, and before that, we'd seen it in pictures. It's basically just a weird take on the style of the Enterprise.

The Shenzhou looked more like ships like the Reliant.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:36:46 PM by MyriVerse »

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 05:59:27 PM »
According to SyFy's Facebook page, STD (heh) has been pirated "a lot" since going to CBS All Access.

I don't even like Star Trek and I feel like I should torrent it just to delete it. Maybe send CBS some screengrabs.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 07:58:36 PM »
We saw the real ship (the Discovery) on screen Sunday, and before that, we'd seen it in pictures. It's basically just a weird take on the style of the Enterprise.

The Shenzhou looked more like ships like the Reliant.

It's based on a Ralph McQuarrie concept for what was Star Trek Phase II, I believe.