Author Topic: Just bought Issue 1 retail box  (Read 2636 times)

bugzee

Just bought Issue 1 retail box
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
I just bought a retail copy of City of Heroes - Issue 1. It sounds crazy, but I can't wait to actually hold the manual in my hand once again. I remember when the game first came out I was in college. I kept the COH manual with me and on breaks, between classes, or even in class I would look at the manual to plan my next character out. Yes I passed those classes :) I still have boxes from older games and I thought that City of Heroes would be a nice addition to that collection. Just wanted to share.

lunawisp

• Minion
    • lunawisp - general gaming blog!
Re: Just bought Issue 1 retail box
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:43:25 PM »
Nice find :)

I still have mine too. I splashed out and bought a 'deluxe edition' many years ago which came with a little comic book "Undead in the Big City plus Dread Carnivale" and a couple of maps. Every now and then I take it out of its box and have a look at it.

I was listening to some of the CoX music today. I had to stop when I got to the Freedom issue title music. Got all choked up, reminding myself that it was only a game didn't help a great deal.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes, she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »
I have all my original stuff from 2004 - the box, disc, manual, etc.

I have the Prima Strategy Guide as well. Interesting read now as this was printed pre-issue 1, so a LOT of stuff shown is very different.

I have the retail box from COV as well - bought as a pre order.

10k Volts

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »
Nice stuff!

I'm a bit frustrated with myself that I ditched the CoV original box, my Architect Edition and CoV strategy guide during a housemove. They would have been great keepsakes  :(
Ex Virtue & Justice

KingsGambit

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 10:34:57 AM »
I have a CoV box, I remember picking up in PC World many years ago from the bargain bin. I bought it despite already having the game at this point. It came with a few miniature figures as well. I didn't have CoH for the longest time, since at the point I started playing they were still largely separate. Villains had the lvl 50 cap (issue 4? 5?).

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 12:49:54 PM »
Nice stuff!

I'm a bit frustrated with myself that I ditched the CoV original box, my Architect Edition and CoV strategy guide during a housemove. They would have been great keepsakes  :(

I still flip through the Prima guide every once in a while. Amazing how much changed over the 8 years.

Telekinesis for mind controllers started as just a group fly power.

The newer version was much more useful.

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 03:42:36 PM »
I have a CoV box, I remember picking up in PC World many years ago from the bargain bin. I bought it despite already having the game at this point. It came with a few miniature figures as well. I didn't have CoH for the longest time, since at the point I started playing they were still largely separate. Villains had the lvl 50 cap (issue 4? 5?).

Villains didn't get the level 50 level cap until Issue 7.

Yes, I had to look it up, it's all getting vague and fuzzy now.

So far as boxes go, IIRC, I've still got my original COH box from EU launch, the Big Villains box with the Heroclix figures, and a couple of others that I can't quite recall the location or specifics of.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 02:51:53 PM »
Late this past summer I found a player's guide at a garage sale. 

I never had one in "the old days" so it was fun to look through.