Author Topic: Potential DMCA changes that can resurrect retired online games  (Read 8223 times)

bugzee

Potential DMCA changes that can resurrect retired online games
« on: October 27, 2017, 06:44:46 PM »
I found this to be particularly exciting news. Retired online games may become available again under new DMCA rules now being considered. This means that MMO games that are retired and no longer playable can one day come back to life. I didn't read the full text of the proposed DMCA changes, but I do know that it means if this passes, City of Heroes and all other now unplayable MMOs will become playable. Any clarifications on this would be much appreciated. Here are relevant links:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/308428/US_govt_stands_by_DMCA_exemption_for_museums_preserving_online_games.php

And it seems that they are collecting arguments as to why they should/should not make DMCA exceptions for online games. See the link here:

https://www.copyright.gov/1201/2018/

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
Re: Potential DMCA changes that can resurrect retired online games
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 07:28:40 PM »
Doc Artz

Surelle

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 02:50:33 AM »
Hahahaha, I just found the same info here at MassivelyOP  http://massivelyop.com/2017/10/27/the-us-government-is-considering-dmca-exceptions-for-archived-online-games-after-all/   and was just wondering whether  to dump it into the megathread, or post it in its own thread when I saw this one!

;D

It seems like it would be too complex a thing to make a reality, though; server-side code and backend stuff would take forever to make happen.  I  mean, say a US law *was* passed.  NCSoft is in South Korea.  They're not just going to hand along the CoX code or server backups.  Our laws probably wouldn't even affect them.

bugzee

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:28:28 AM »
It seems like it would be too complex a thing to make a reality, though; server-side code and backend stuff would take forever to make happen.  I  mean, say a US law *was* passed.  NCSoft is in South Korea.  They're not just going to hand along the CoX code or server backups.  Our laws probably wouldn't even affect them.

That is a good point that they wouldn't be affected by US laws. They do have NCSOFT West, and do publish in the US, so perhaps they would also have to abide by our laws. But I'm not a legal expert so I just don't know. But also, it kind of makes me think, do we have to obey their copyright laws?

Surelle

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 02:18:47 AM »
That is a good point that they wouldn't be affected by US laws. They do have NCSOFT West, and do publish in the US, so perhaps they would also have to abide by our laws. But I'm not a legal expert so I just don't know. But also, it kind of makes me think, do we have to obey their copyright laws?

I suspect  that they would come after us with the USA-based NCWest leg of the company, in which case the answer is probably "yes."  Plus, we do have copyright laws here, too, that they could use to bring forth the long arm of the law.

10k Volts

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »
Seems promising, but I doubt it'll have the full effect by the time it actually gets passed, would probably just be some watered-down "you can emulate your own private server and we won't sue you" kind of approach but still not have any access to source or server code. Which will basically mean, you're in not much of a better spot than what PC is in now in terms of trying to make stuff work without the actual server access.

Or. you get the full game and server software necessary to run it but it will be under absolute lock and key, no-one will be able to make any kind of changes to it, which I guess I could live with, but would be equally frustrating.

Progress is progress I guess though.
Ex Virtue & Justice

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 11:43:09 AM »
An interesting development.

I've always felt that online games should come with an offline mode and MMOs in particular, should have an offline mode...but with an optional micro server/Lan component where you can play on small teams e.g. '8' in COH's case.

Azrael.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 08:01:09 PM »
This sounds hopeful.  I hope they get their arses in gear and get this done before I have another stroke and kick it.

bugzee

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 09:05:46 PM »
This is a reminder to all you smart people out there(darnit, just excluded myself). The government is accepting comments for or against this change. You have the power to influence their decision. So you can go here for instructions on how to submit your argument:

https://www.copyright.gov/1201/2018/

kaaduu1280

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
I can only hope that this actually does something to help out.
"Do not attribute to Malice what can instead be attributed to Stupidity." -NakaTeleeli

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 09:35:50 PM »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 09:22:00 PM »
Today is the last day to submit your comment guys. I hope you got your comments in.