Author Topic: Linux help, please  (Read 1995 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Linux help, please
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:31:20 AM »
In Windows, when I want certain files in a folder to be pinned at the top of the Names-ordered list, I put an exclamation point at the start of the filename. But I've found that that doesn't work in Linux (the exclamation point is ignored, and the filename is treated as usual), and I'm having trouble finding out what order Linux uses. Is there a character that'll serve the same function when filenames start with either a letter or a number? Thanks for any help.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: Linux help, please
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
Anything but alphanumerics are ignored as a part of the collation rules. Beginning with a "0" is your best option, unless you wanted to change those rules.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Linux help, please
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »
Thanks. I'd guess that !0 is probably the best way to go, for something that would work in both Linux and Windows.

Now if only Wine worked perfectly, or game developers made Linux versions (in the spirit of the '90s, when games were routinely issued for several different OSs), so that I didn't need Windows for MMOs. Since the successor projects are of a mentality similar to Linux's - "Screw you; we'll make our own" - it'd be wonderful if they also made Linux versions, so that my computer could be completely free of Redmond. (I'm not holding my breath, of course.)
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.