Author Topic: Marvel's Runaways  (Read 5150 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Marvel's Runaways
« on: November 21, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »
Is anyone else watching this?  I'm unfamiliar with the comics - if asked about it, I would've thought it was the series with Artie, Leech, and Man-Thing.  So I can't judge it by the source material, but it's got my interest so far.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: Marvel's Runaways
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »
I'm not one that typically likes teen comics, but Runaways was my favourite series of the 2000s, mostly because it's the only comic book that I've ever been able to enjoy with my daughter, who was a tween/teen at the time.

My opinion is mixed. There are some changes to characters and plot that I'm not completely thrilled with, but I guess I might understand why they were made. The dialogue seems kind of cliched bad. However, I think I can live with these complaints. Molly might have been improved.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 01:44:08 AM »
Digging it so far but I have no attachment to the characters. I've only read them when they were in an event or crossover. Glad they made them older since I have trouble sitting through anything with kids in it. A bit cliched by normal standards but not by comic show standards.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
They should cross Runaways with Sliders and do Exiles.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:30:28 PM »
Digging it so far but I have no attachment to the characters. I've only read them when they were in an event or crossover. Glad they made them older since I have trouble sitting through anything with kids in it. A bit cliched by normal standards but not by comic show standards.
The only one older is Molly. The rest are the age they were in the books.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 10:52:33 PM »
maybe they struck me as younger cuz the few books i've read them in were terrible. seems like one i read had them doing something with power pack.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 03:16:21 AM »
I don't like that they aged Molly.  Partly because a big part of the comic book dynamic is that not only did they have to deal with all the family drama and the villains, they had to deal with taking care of an impulsive and incredibly powerful little kid. But mostly because they have a 13 year old version of Molly acting like she is 10.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »
If that's your complaint, Molly always was 12 at the start, and acted way more immature than this one is acting. This version is being much more mature.

maybe they struck me as younger cuz the few books i've read them in were terrible. seems like one i read had them doing something with power pack.
They've never encountered Power Pack as a team, which has been defunct for ages. They met The Loners, which has the nearly grown-up Lightspeed, a former member of Power Pack.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:16:27 PM by MyriVerse »

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »
I think I maybe just remember katie and molly doing something at some point, but don't remember where. i've read so many unmemorable comicals the last few years it's all a blur. somewhere in something in the xmen chronology, idk.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »
Can't recall anything like that. Katie, especially, hasn't made many appearances in the last decade. Maybe it was some non-canon spoof-like story.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 11:15:55 PM »
Given how terrible my memory is it could have been Artie and Leech, or Franklin, or not even Molly, or any other kid. Or yeah, could have been an out of continuity. When you've read every X-book up to, uh I'm at 2015 atm, they all kind of run together. But anyway I trust your memory much more than mine.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 06:55:29 AM »
Pay no attention to the sounds of demolition coming from the bathroom, or the flood pouring out under the door...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »
Pay no attention to the sounds of demolition coming from the bathroom, or the flood pouring out under the door...

It was a heavy day.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 09:58:11 PM »
Oh no!  You're ruining *lacrosse*!  The most important... sport...?

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 06:03:18 AM »
I was really enjoying this. Now I'm getting bored. It just seems to be dragging.  I suppose thinking it over it was inevitable. They want to keep the story line with the parents going because there isn't an entire Marvel universe out there so they won't be drawing from the comic books arcs like Cloak and Dagger, teen super villains, Skrulls, Spiderman, SHIELD, etc...

So we'll get the parents. Maybe aliens, but the aliens will probably look just like humans.

I suppose the good part is that we have such a plethora of genre material out there right now that I'm pretty much guaranteed to have at least a couple show episodes a week that I like and characters or scenes that I absolutely love.  This week it was Shield and I'm sure I'll enjoy Trollhunters season 2 which I haven't started yet.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 10:15:16 AM »
I'm still enjoying it enough to keep watching.  Which is more than I can say for Inhumans and Gifted.  But it does feel like they're dragging it out a bit.  It seemed like the story was ready to shift gears, but then they decided that any such shift should be saved for next season so they scrambled to maintain an uneasy status quo.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 05:34:40 PM »
It really does seem like they're dragging it out. I'm skeptical if they'll get past Runaways first arc by the end of this season. But I like the slow pace of the story.

This is my favourite Marvel-based series, atm. Gifted is good, too, but I've pretty much given up on everything else.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 05:28:17 AM »
Add me to the same group thinking that while it was good it seems to be padding out the story to keep them with their parents longer. It's not bad yet, but it is starting to drag.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 05:58:41 AM »
Nothing a judicious application of the speed force can't fix

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 02:58:10 PM »
Oh SMACK! Speed force applied. Things just started to blow up in ep7.
Spoiler for Hidden:
Last episode, Molly got scared of Alex's mom (who wouldn't be) and let it slip she saw them in their robes. Now the Yorkeses are shipping her off to distant relatives to shut her up. Gert to the rescue!

And Chase's dad goes nuts and nearly kills him with the Fistigons, but mom kills dad to protect him. Guess she's not getting her perfect family after all.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:10:38 PM by MyriVerse »