Author Topic: Now that MxM is closing down, is there a chance of the CoH IP being sold?  (Read 16577 times)

Drygen

• Underling
  • Arachnos > Longbow
Anyone think there's a possibility of Ncsoft selling the CoH IP  or releasing the source code now that MxM is shutting down? I'm hoping they take a page from the Swg book and release anything they've been holding onto as a gesture of goodwill.
Arachnos > Longbow

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
Re: Now that MxM is closing down, is there a chance of the CoH IP being sold?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »
Hard to know.  They certainly have not done anything else that was expected, so why would this be any different.  On the other hand, if it makes business sense, using factors that we would never know the specifics of (at least with any degree of candor), anything is possible.

I personally hope it goes that way, but then I have been hoping for anything that gets us our game back.  That hope has been fanned, then stomped on during this roller coaster ride we have been on, but hope remains.  So, I will certainly be watching, and waiting to see what the new year might bring.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Drygen

• Underling
  • Arachnos > Longbow
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »
Could be a longshot, but considering how aggressively they've been marketing Lineage II Revolution, they could generate some additional positive media coverage by relinquishing the CoH IP. Would probably sound pretty good on paper "Lineage II Revolution Dev releases CoH IP in celebration of their new mobile title's launch." Could be some sort of "Heroes" campaign, with a tagline something along the lines of "Heroes Never Die"  8)
Arachnos > Longbow

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:27:33 PM »
As much chance as there ever was. You may take that as it pleases you.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

bugzee

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:34:07 PM »
I'm going to guess that it makes no difference. They only put the COX characters in MxM at a developers suggestion. I think they had a grip on the IP back then, they still do, and I'm sorry to say, probably will never let it go.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 11:31:54 PM »
MxM is closing? Well that was fast.

duane

• Elite Boss

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 04:29:57 AM »
http://massivelyop.com/2017/11/16/ncsoft-is-already-sunsetting-moba-master-x-master/

Folded faster than Superman on laundry day.

This reminds me of Stephen King's short story, "The Mangler."

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 04:58:37 AM »
I'd rather see CoH return under new ownership rather then NCSoft relaunching the game.

NCSoft shafted CoH players.

NcSoft has a bad habit of shuttering games.

NcSoft is not all that trustworthy, ask Richard Garriott.

If CoH returned under NCSoft I'd return as a free player but not as a paying VIP player as I don't feel they deserve my hard earned cash.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Drygen

• Underling
  • Arachnos > Longbow
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 05:12:27 AM »
At this point, I'm just hoping it will come back at all.
Arachnos > Longbow

Cervantes88

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 03:43:48 PM »
I really don't pay a whole lot of attention to the news of the gaming world, so i just now learned the shutdown of MxM by randomly browsing the Titan Forums.

And I can't tell if I'm happy or sad about it, but the thing is NCsoft has another 4-5 years of legal property of the IP after having used their characters in a recent game, and that can't be good.

Oh well, at this point the only hope I have left is a private - and illegal - emulator that puts the game back in its original state from the day it was closed. Even if they do something new with the IP it will most likely be utter shit, as nobody seem to understand what made CoH good and unique compared to other MMOs - not even the developpers themselves since they made Champions Online, and that game was mediocre from the start.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 04:24:22 PM »
At this point, I'm just hoping it will come back at all.

I still hope, but also I hope for Ship of Heroes, CoT and Valiance.

Also while searching you tube I came across a former CoH player who has uploaded over 40 assorted CoH/CoV videos to watch and enjoy.

While some of the vids could probably benefit from a bit of editing, they are fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6dTXkuOmEo&list=PLQ4YtNOxMPEvF2tcm4JZqOX4rlhHkwvi_

Whoever this person is has strike force/task force vids, giant monster vids both blue and red side including Caleb, also vids of Halloween, Winter, Spring and Summer events.
In fearful COH-less days

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 01:29:20 AM »
Life is not fair.  I just woke up mid-dream of logging into City of Heroes, starting to play, thinking it was FUN to be doing so again, and I was in the middle of typing a message to someone requesting they run one of my Architect Entertainment arcs with me when. . . woke up :(

Joeth

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 02:17:54 AM »
I still have faith it is being sold. I feel like if the deal had well and truly fallen through someone would have leaked something to a gaming reporter even with an NDA. Because then their identity would remain hidden. If you look at the announcements and updates posted on this site all signs were positive till there were no more signs at all. This is a huge financial deal and I think perhaps NCSOFT has spent the last two years looking at other options for the IP. Super Hero movies have blown up since then, other game ideas might have been presented besides MxM, and maybe NCSoft thought they could make something with the IP to take advantage of the trends. Honestly MxM is a great example of them trying to ride the MOBA train to the bank. And it failed. Its been years and maybe, just maybe, NCSoft sees the only real value CoX has left is in being sold. Maybe MxM closing is a sign of things happening behind the scenes and NCSoft has decided to squeeze the last value they can from the IP. This is my hope at least. Its incredibly optimistic, stupidly so seeing how they've treated us in the past, but that is how I'm choosing to look at this.

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
Beware the mighty faceplant!

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 06:38:50 PM »
Life is not fair.  I just woke up mid-dream of logging into City of Heroes, starting to play, thinking it was FUN to be doing so again

I've had this dream a few times myself.

Though one odd thing about the CoH dreams I've had is that they always take place in zones that look similar to, but were different from, zones that were in the game.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 02:39:43 AM »

Though one odd thing about the CoH dreams I've had is that they always take place in zones that look similar to, but were different from, zones that were in the game.

Maybe you're remembering some of the zones that you'll be in when CoT or SoH or whatever other successor opens in the future...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 02:42:23 AM »

Heck, I've lost track of the times I had the dream of hitting big with the lottery and after dealing with some life affirming/assuring wishes with the money to go to Korea and enter the NCSoft offices and ram some cash down their throat and walk away with the entire CoH property, lock stock and barrel.

Then contacting positron and see if he and any former Paragon Devs want to work either in a new studio company to resume development and keep CoH online and UPDATED,  or at least work long enough to help get the game running in zombie ish 23 mode.

Hell, if necessary to buy CoH I'll buy up some of their other shuttered games like Tabula Rasa in a package deal.

Note: if the game were to return under my ownership and development could continue on it I'd even contact Atlas Park Revival about the massive facelift they were doing to all the zones with newer graphic tech.   Not that CoH is ugly, it isn't. But if it could be shined up a bit..... perhaps even have a new graphic option for players to have the game in classic or unreal graphics mode....
In fearful COH-less days

Arctic Pulse

• Underling
yeh, I do not think it will happen. I do not think NCSoft care one iota apart from holding on to the CoH IP

I think the hopes of them selling have sailed now. how many years has it been now............what suddenly changes their mind?
Arctic Firestorm
Avengers of Truth (Commander)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
yeh, I do not think it will happen. I do not think NCSoft care one iota apart from holding on to the CoH IP

I think the hopes of them selling have sailed now. how many years has it been now............what suddenly changes their mind?

A large pile of cash and a business deal that let's them save face.  Their decision to end CoH was.....not the most popular..... and subsequent games of theirs have not all done that well as I recall.

But a sale deal that has a lot of PR spin on it that allows them to save face, or retain their dignity if you prefer.......well that might be what is needed.
In fearful COH-less days