Author Topic: Bravo, CO (Client)  (Read 2093 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Bravo, CO (Client)
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:52:44 PM »
This game just runs great even with my old tech and throttled Internet connection. So, I have to gush, some.

Back in the day... the smaller and tighter your code was, the more respectable it was. If you could take up the least amount of resources and make the smallest .exe, and, have the fewest hiccups and crashes, it was a thing to be admired.

In this vein... Bravo, CO.

Their patches are well compressed, their bandwidth usage during play is low enough to play (at the very least) some of their laggiest looking content (LI, I didn't get a Scale and I also got no lag) flawlessly on a throttled to 100+kbs connection. The game looks and plays just like I would want a comic book game to play with smooth and fluid action, flashy powers, and plenty of eye candy. Meaning: it doesn't look or play antiquated. It looks like a comic book and plays fluidly.

Yes, there are the rubberbanding days. But I always blamed that on their ISP. Normally the game never crashes and looks good and plays fluidly with great ground action, and, could probably run on a sewing machine hooked up to an Etch a Sketch using a Dixie cup and string tied in a knot onto a phone line for a connection to the Internet.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

ZeeHero

• Minion
Re: Bravo, CO (Client)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »
You're obviously being sarcastic, CO's client crashes once per hour and if you're lucky once per 2 hours due to memory leaks.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Bravo, CO (Client)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »
You're obviously being sarcastic, CO's client crashes once per hour and if you're lucky once per 2 hours due to memory leaks.

Nah, I can't remember crash problems with CO. Rubberband problems, yes. Until I played CO this kind of thing was unacceptable. So, I kinda blew my stack for awhile about it, but, now I know how to play rubberband style(TM)(CO).. lol. And, I now know everyone else has the same problem at some point and is familiar with the struggle (I.E. I'm not as sensitive about looking bad due to a bad net connection when it hits....).

But nah, no crash problems that I remember. In summer, it takes a lot longer to overheat my video card to the point where it turbofans than it does when playing STO, too, yet, I don't feel any sort of compromise in what I see on the screen. I.E. it runs on less hardware while looking at least as good. I didn't even like STO Ground graphics for the longest time, coming from CO. And Ground is probably what eats the most resources in that game.

The patches are small. CO got a whole new zone, QWZ, and I had to download the average 40 megs or so. I get gigabyte sized patches in STO for stuff I dunno even what they did without reading patch notes.

My play was really smooth even on 120ish kps recently. Even in a 10-player, fairly mob intensive, LI. No data spikes that I recall, all was smooth from start to finish. The normal Alurts ran just like I was used to, too. This can be a trivial thing or really important, depending on where you sit. I was pretty happy about it at the time.

This, I never experienced, ever. I logged in and played daily in the years I played - with rare exception (maybe 4-5 days, most if not all of those at the 'end'). Maybe j00 need a tune up.. I just gave myself a major one (had to dust off my tech hat..) and STO crashes noticeably less on me now. I've even had crashless sessions recently *gasp*. Or maybe you do something differently than me.. Maybe something you do in your playing routine that I didn't, triggers this.. *shrug*.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>