Author Topic: Can't load in after Windows 10 Fall Creators Update  (Read 2506 times)

DangerousDawn

• Horror of The 1980s
  • Underling
Can't load in after Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
« on: December 11, 2017, 11:50:14 PM »
Starting today, after installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, I've had trouble loading in to the game.  More often than not, when I try to log in to a character, the map takes so long to load, that I'm kicked back to the login screen.  It is not happening on an old Windows 7 laptop that I have installed Paragon Chat onto. 

This slow load occurs when I first log a character in, or try to zone to a new map.  Some zones seem harder than others.  I've been able to log into Faultine, and Pocket D, though both are slow, and have failed, but I have been completely unable to log into, or zone into Atlas Park with multiple characters.

I tried turning off my firewall and testing it, and that didn't change anything. 

Is anyone else having this problem, and if so has anyone found a fix? 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:28:06 AM by DangerousDawn »

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
Re: Can't load in after Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 01:09:03 AM »
The client has been more iffy for me too.  I found that I have to hold still (not turn or anything) until all the startup stuff has finished (joining channels, etc.).  Pocket D in particular.
You might right-click on the icon and set compatibility to 'Windows 7' and see if it works any better.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 01:12:20 AM »
Looks like you logged out before I saw the message.

(10:53:04 PM) dangerousdawn: I am having trouble loading into maps since the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  Loading a map, either from character select, or by zoning, takes an incredibly long time, and often goes on so long that it resets to the login screen.
(10:53:39 PM) dangerousdawn: This started right after the update, and does not happen on my old Windows 7 laptop.  I've tried turning my firewall off, and am not seeing a change. 
(12:05:41 AM) codewalker: Have not heard of any compatibility issues (and in fact I've been developing under 1709)
(12:05:58 AM) codewalker: Things to check: Make sure your video driver wasn't reverted by the upgrade
(12:06:32 AM) codewalker: Check event log to make sure there aren't any SMART events or disk i/o errors (a big upgrade rewrites a ton of files and can tickle underlying hardware issues there)

DangerousDawn

• Horror of The 1980s
  • Underling
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 01:47:48 AM »
The client has been more iffy for me too.  I found that I have to hold still (not turn or anything) until all the startup stuff has finished (joining channels, etc.).  Pocket D in particular.
You might right-click on the icon and set compatibility to 'Windows 7' and see if it works any better.

This is a different problem than the one I'm having.  For me, I never get out of the map loading screen, and into the game.  I've had the instant "connection to server lost" error as well. 

Tried Windows 7 mode, but that hasn't worked.

Looks like you logged out before I saw the message.

(10:53:04 PM) dangerousdawn: I am having trouble loading into maps since the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  Loading a map, either from character select, or by zoning, takes an incredibly long time, and often goes on so long that it resets to the login screen.
(10:53:39 PM) dangerousdawn: This started right after the update, and does not happen on my old Windows 7 laptop.  I've tried turning my firewall off, and am not seeing a change. 
(12:05:41 AM) codewalker: Have not heard of any compatibility issues (and in fact I've been developing under 1709)
(12:05:58 AM) codewalker: Things to check: Make sure your video driver wasn't reverted by the upgrade
(12:06:32 AM) codewalker: Check event log to make sure there aren't any SMART events or disk i/o errors (a big upgrade rewrites a ton of files and can tickle underlying hardware issues there)

How do I check the event log? 

On a whim, I tried loading the game in offline mode, and it has exactly the same problem when not connected to the server.  I can load into Pocket D, but not Atlas Park.

AMD drivers are up to day, but I'm going to re-install anyway. 

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 02:55:08 AM »
Event Log is going to be Event Viewer in Windows 10. (Press Start and type "Event Viewer" to open it.)

This is where all of the non-fatal error messages go in Windows that most people don't see (as well as the major ones that lead to reboots or the "Blue Screen of Death").  The ones where SMART and disk I/O errors would appear is under "Windows Logs" and "System".  Note the time that the game fails to load a zone and see if an event lands here that would be a clue of something else happening outside of Paragon Chat.

And the part which doesn't help you: I'm using Fall Creator's Update (Version 1709) as well, and Paragon Chat has been working for me.  Like Codewalker, I suspect it's a hardware issue causing this. :(  Hopefully this helps.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran