Author Topic: Windows Security targeting HeroBrowser.dll  (Read 2021 times)

Digital Identity

• Underling
Windows Security targeting HeroBrowser.dll
« on: January 04, 2018, 08:21:54 PM »
Just passing this along. Windows security quarantined HeroBrowser.dll saying it was a Trojan. I copied this from another PC that had this still in tact and it still flagged it. I told it to allow and everything is back to normal. Not sure if this is an isolated incident. Thought I'd pass it along as an FYI. I am somewhat curious though if there are any vulnerabilities though, since we all use Tequila. How is the integrity maintained? I'll still take my chances though, I'm sure someone thought this through a long time ago.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Re: Windows Security targeting HeroBrowser.dll
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:24:53 PM »
There've been a number of people who've had to add the Paragon Chat files as a security 'exception' for their anti-virus programs.   I've been using Paragon Chat since it first went live, and have so far seen no actual security problems other than the fussy anti-virus firewalls.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »
I've actually talked to Codewalker about this, and the only reason Windows "Security" tags it and quarantines it is because it is an "extremely uncommon" item that it does not recognize.  Windows "Security" operates on the basic principle of "If I don't recognize it, it must be evil."
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:48:55 PM »
It's probably getting flagged because it's a really old (and probably vulnerable) version of the QtWebKit browser.

The good news is that Paragon Chat doesn't actually need it. Trying to load it caused some issues with C runtime version conflicts I didn't want to have to deal with, so PC supplies a "dummy" library in its place with functions that do nothing. It was only used for the in-game store, so no huge loss there.

You can *probably* just delete the file if it keeps triggering your AV.

Digital Identity

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 06:13:25 PM »
I  made an exception to allow it when it happened, but it wouldn't let PC or demo playbacks launch without it.