Author Topic: Moving My Data to the Cloud  (Read 3825 times)

vorlonagent

• Underling
Moving My Data to the Cloud
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:12:05 AM »
I have a Desktop and a Laptop.  I'd like to share character, costume, etc. data between the two machines.  How's best to do that?  Would there be a way to point Paragon Chat to a folder in the Cloud Storage system of my choice?  (Onedrive or Google Drive)

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
Re: Moving My Data to the Cloud
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:34:17 PM »
Personally, I'd transfer the database files (or everything except the COH files, really) to a thumbdrive and move it from the most recently updated version to the older version.  You can get fancy and make a 'sync' with a backup program or something, but I don't think this'll take more than a minute or two each time you sync them. 

I don't think PChat can run from a cloud folder. (Certainly wouldn't hurt anything to try, but . .I still doubt it)

lunawisp

• Minion
    • lunawisp - general gaming blog!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »
The problem with cloud/sync folders on windows is that the sync program and the program modifying the files tend to keep tripping over each other. I had this issue with a program I use to help me write large documents. It creates lots of files which it constantly updates and the sync program kept locking them and causing updates to fail.

I found a workaround for this. I don't sync the folder I'm working in while I'm working. I set up a separate sync folder for Google Drive and use "Free File Sync", a free program, to ensure the sync folder is up to date with the working folder when I've finished working for the day. It's a bit fiddly and you have to set up FFS and the folders on both machines... and you have to sync them before and after working. But it works.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes, she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

vorlonagent

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 06:51:19 AM »
It was worth a shot.

Thanks for the answers.

Yuro

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 03:55:39 AM »
I run Paragon Chat from a Dropbox folder, with junctions to have it look like a local folder. Haven't had any issues so far.

Earlier post about this:
https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11060.msg191364#msg191364

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 12:56:40 AM »
You don't even need the junctions. Since the early 1.x release series, Paragon Chat a fully portable app, so you can just move the whole thing where you want it. There's no special attachment to the default per-user install location in AppData.

The only thing you might have to do is to change the path if you have a shortcut on the desktop or start menu.

It even intercepts the the COH client's registry access calls and redirects the settings into an ini file, so that graphics settings and other preferences will come along also.

I can't think of any issue running from a cloud synchronized folder, unless you try to run it on more than one computer at once (you'll get sync conflicts on the database file).

Yuro

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 09:04:00 PM »
Oh, nice.  I'll remove the junctions and update my shortcut then.