Author Topic: Gah!  (Read 2640 times)

Hagis

• Minion
  • Still a newbie
Gah!
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »
Am attempting to log in. I can get through the initial startup screen where Paragon Chat loads and such, and even through the character selection screen, but when I try to zone in to a map, the software hangs and then kicks me back to the character select screen after a period of time.

Went into Event Viewer and found an error that roughly corresponds to my last failed login. Does this make sense to anyone?

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
 and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
 to the user USER's COMPUTER\USER SID (S-1-5-21-1260131305-1543599373-3331645758-1002) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Am running Windows 10 and Vipre Advanced Security. The other computer in the house has Windows 7 and the same Vipre package, and can run PChat just fine. Have played with modem and router settings, updated firmware where possible, even swapped out LAN cables. This issue seems to be isolated to this computer, and is not a broader network problem.
Can anyone offer up a suggestion? Please, and thank you.

Hagis

• Minion
  • Still a newbie
Re: Gah!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 09:39:07 PM »
Okay, sooo.... I'm going to have to chalk this up to old hardware, methinks. If I back the graphics slider all the way down, I can load and zone and do all of those fun things. Cool that I can still get in and visit. Not so cool that the pace of technology had to kick me to the curb like that.  :P 

Gaed night, and see ye 'round.

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »
That COM server error shows up A LOT in Windows 10 after the last few updates.  Microsoft basically said, 'unless your program isn't working, ignore this'.  It has to do with a permission being set to 'Trusted Installer' instead of 'Administrator'.  You CAN fix it with some registry fiddling, but it probably has nothing to do with PCHAT.  Even common Windows apps have this happen to them.

Hagis

• Minion
  • Still a newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 01:24:06 AM »
Doublety blargh then. Thanks!  :)

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:02:40 AM »
I just noticed that you said you are running Vipre.  I don't know that particular AV, but most have a way to tell it NOT to work on a particular program or folder.  (Most programs call that making an exception).  I'd 'except' the Paragon Chat and COH folders, reboot and try again!