Author Topic: 14th Anniversary of City of Heroes - Sat. April 28th, 2018  (Read 10260 times)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
14th Anniversary of City of Heroes - Sat. April 28th, 2018
« on: February 05, 2018, 12:29:04 AM »

14th Anniversary Celebration of the City of Heroes

MEDIA

Photos -- Official Winners of the Costume Contests are available as an album on Flickr!  (Thanks Korbian for the hard work!) Nyghtshade has a gallery of photos available for the public. 

Videos --
Massively Overpowered toured Atlas Park for their OPTV stream this year as well.  You can see the recording on YouTube.

Raspcard also streamed the experience he had on Twitch.TV as well (time-limited video: expires next week.)

ATTENDANCE

We've learned our lesson: HERC can't go toe-to-toe with Marvel. (But we already knew that. :D) We had a 30.6% drop in attendance from last year, with 148 users in attendance.  The good news: more players stayed longer through the whole event.

RAW RESULTS - EVENT CLOSE:

SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY/WARSHADE
@Mesektet Doctor Robinson WINNER
@lycantropus Cold Case SECOND
@undeadslayer69 Human Circuitboard THIRD

MUTANTS
@undeadslayer69 Energy Mite WINNER
@Raspcard Raspcard SECOND
@swashbucklerdc Lady Bamf THIRD

MAGIC
@electronic boy Ascended Zombie WINNER
@Mesektet Mesektet SECOND
@doctormobius Doctor Mobius THIRD

COSTUME RACE #1 - CLASH OF THE TITANS!
@Golden.Avenger Poseidon WINNER
@raspcard Raspcard SECOND
@KK Amaterasu THIRD

TO PROTECT AND SERV
First Place: Kimberly Kool
Second Place: Kid Dynamo

NATURAL - PEACEBRINGERS AND ARACHNOS
@ClockworkGeode UFO WINNER
@Golden.Avenger Katipo SECOND
@Xyzandra Arachne THIRD

COSTUME RACE #2 - WINGS AND BLING
@xyzandra Holy Diver WINNER
@KK Kimberly Kool SECOND
@wreck Spicy Fairy THIRD

BIOGRAPHY
@Bitters Bullette WINNER
@monsoon Miss Tell SECOND
@sylph knight Sylph Knight THIRD

Sylph:

"Will I even be a memory?"

These words flashed through Kyia's mind as she stood before the Dimension Eater. To destroy it would be her final act against the Coming Storm that wrought destruction throughout space and time.

But doing so would mean the erasure of the time distortion which brought the physics-warping Reingard Helmet into her hands during the first Rikti War, and that she would instead die that day as the existence of the Sylph Knight would be less than a memory.

It meant that Tanya Tyler might fall into the clutches of the Devouring Earth, that Rikti Drop Ships may never know defeat to an army of organized heroes, and that a girl named Krys could never admire the brusque heroine who had protected her family.

Kyia defiantly approached the machine that would obliterate the universe, and with bitter resolve she doubled her fist to ready her signature Megaton Punch one last time...

And remembered.

Monsoon:

Upon her fusion with a Kheldian refugee, Lorna Tell found that she kept hearing odd voices. Voices that would say things that made no sense, yet they would always call her by name. She'd hear something like "On my way" or "Attack that Hellion" followed shortly by "Sorry, Miss Tell." She hopes to one day track down the source of these voices and make them stop.

In the meantime, her 5th grade class at Paragon Public School 261 thinks it's "Way cool" that their teacher is a superhero.

Bitters:

When called upon to do great deeds, some people shy away while others rise to greatness.

Amanda Adams was seen neither as shy nor brave, being but a teacher of poetry at a local college, until the day her world stopped moving. Spending endless days and nights at the graves of her murdered family led to her realization that though man has been through the age of enlightenment, not all men are enlightened.

As with many other heroes, tragedy was to be the impetus of creation, and something in her snapped. In the words of her favorite poet Robert Browning, "I was ever a fighter, so---one fight more, The best and the last! I would hate that death bandaged my eyes, and forbore, And bade me creep past. No! let me taste the whole of it, fare like my peers The heroes of old."

BEST IN SHOW
@Golden.Avenger Poseidon T3 D3 - WINNER
@ClockworkGeode UFO N3 - 2nd Place
@xyzandra Holy Diver N1 - 3rd Place

Prior Content --

Preparation: Costume Contest Themes this Year
This year, we'll have themes based on the five origins of Heroes, Villains & Praetorians.

Science/Technology (Despite being 8 hours, there's only so much room for contests.)
Magic
Mutant
Natural (This INCLUDES Peacebringers and Warshades, as well as Soldiers and Widows of Arachnos.)

Yes, Incarnate is an origin, but it wasn't made available to players from the onset. Also, the character you create DOES NOT have to have the correct origin picked when the character is made, as long as the costume fits the theme.  (Bringing a Peacebringer to a mutant contest, for example, won't win that event.)  So don't worry if your toon didn't have the right origin picked on creation if your favorite toon wants to enter.

Also returning from last year, we'll have a Costume Contest Biography competition, where players write the best biography in 1,024 characters or less.  Simply write the biography in the ID screen when you make your character, or edit it using the Menu at any time before the event.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:21:00 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Surelle

Re: 14th Anniversary of City of Heroes - Sat. April 28th, 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:54:56 PM »
Where's a Like button when you need it?   :-*

What time?

bugzee

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 06:28:26 PM »
Something that gets this much notice in advance must be super extra special.  ;D

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 07:12:36 AM »
Where's a Like button when you need it?   :-*

What time?

Still working on the details.  We'll share new info at the top of this thread.  ;D

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
Hopefully some of it will be earlier in the day so I'll be able to be present for some of the fun stuff!

!!  8)

Lyc~

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 06:01:58 PM »
What time zone are you in, Lyc ?

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 11:09:35 AM »
US Central time. :)

Lyc~

Surelle

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 04:30:12 AM »
I might just take that day off for once.  I miss every festivity in this game due to working nights and weekends.   :(

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 09:00:05 PM »
Guess I better finish getting all the badges that i can!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Surelle

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 04:18:06 PM »
Okay, I am so happy!  I have been able to cut back/shift around the hours that I work for the forseeable future.  I can now actually show up for these Paragon Chat Festivities, woo hoo!

Jeez, it takes so little to make me happy in my old age.   :P

Thanks to all who are making this happen!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 02:50:50 PM »
Costume Contest Themes for this year have been announced above in the original post.

Also, from The Cape Radio, we'll have Attercap, DJ Winter (formerly DJ Exelion), and DJ Amethyst join us.  The event will be from 3pm - 11pm Eastern time like in the prior two years. (12pm - 8pm for Pacific folks.)

We'll have the official schedule finalized and posted in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:59:47 PM by Tahquitz »

madvyking

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:43:12 AM »
Almost late but for people who are on the cryptic games who can't and/or won't go to paragon chat we at paragon dawn and dawn radio offer our party which will be in the City Hall on Champions. It will have music provided by Dawn Radio starting at noon eastern to 2 or 3 am.

tentative plans are as follows (eastern times)

She Hawk 12pm to 3pm which drag races
Sovereign Rayne 3pm - 6pm
Amber Blue 6pm to 8pm
Coconut 8pm to 11pm
Jester 11pm to 2 or 3am

Somewhere int he middle a special Stan and Lou episode

So all who will be on cryptic can join us here . As always glad to support HERC with all their events

Mad Vyking

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 05:34:01 PM »
Posted a few games on steamgifts.com to advertise the anniversary and ParagonChat.  Good luck to those that enter!  I won't be on that day as I'm getting married,  but have fun! ( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 09:47:50 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with for the Bio(graphy) Contest!  COH players had so many fantastic bios back in the day for their characters that sometimes I just hung out in Atlas Park and read the bios of characters coming and going!   ;D

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 03:18:28 AM »
We'll be celebrating in less than 48 hours.

Yes, I know... the Anniversary falls on Avenger's Weekend.  Not much to be done about it this year, but we'll be here hopefully before or after you go see it on Saturday. :)

themamboman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 01:18:51 PM »
Ah, I will be on the road, going out of town when this happens. 

Someone take lots of screenshots and post them after please!

Have fun everyone!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 09:09:46 PM »
Have we maxed the server?  I can't get a character to load into Atlas -- map screen comes up, bar progresses about 3/4 way, stalls, eventually sends me to logon screen

I'll try again, closing everything else and see if I get better results (it's been a while since I was in PC)  -- I'll check back in a bit unless it works
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 09:35:16 PM »
Did you make it in, Ohioknight?  There's not supposed to be a zone cap for Atlas Park or Pocket D.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 09:36:36 PM »
Did you make it in, Ohioknight?  There's not supposed to be a zone cap for Atlas Park or Pocket D.

Still not loading -- just popped me back to logon again

MADE IT -- damn took an hour to get in!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 08:54:26 PM »
Here's my photo album from last night's COH Anniv Celebration.  The first shot shows us at our highest count, and the shots afterwards show first the crowd that was already gatherng an hour before the official start, then shows the crowd growing through the day, as well as a number of the Costume Contests.  Enjoy!
https://flic.kr/s/aHskxbuw3T