Author Topic: AT's in new games  (Read 5893 times)

primeknight

• Boss
AT's in new games
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:00:30 PM »
Hi All,
To preface: I've lacked the time in the last few years to keep up with the latest games in development.  Can anyone answer these questions?

Does any game in development have the following types of AT's?

Controllers: similar to Mind/Kin (having the complexities of the Ill/Rad and Fire/<any> would be great too)
Master Mind: Similar to Bots/FF (zombie/Dark would be a nice bonus)
Scrappers: Claws/SR (speed, knockdown, speed, range, and more speed....also dodging)
Peacebringers: Yay! (energy blasting, shapeshifting fun)

I liked high speed characters with lots to do all at once.  I ended up maining my Mind/Kin/Psi with custom enhancements that had electrical visuals.  And he had incarnate powers of (forgive the lack of proper names):   Alpha:End, Lore(Lightning), Barrier, Lightning elementals , Fire(dot)/orSlow [never got the last incarnate power].  I was a big fan of Hovering above the crowd and using siphon speed to move at fly speed in battles.  I also loved having and using TK and repel.

So, do any of the games have anything like the above?

Thanks a bunch!

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
Re: AT's in new games
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:34:51 PM »
As far as propel/tk goes I Really do love telekinesis in dcuo. There's nothing more hillarious than seeing a tour bus picked up and thrown at your enemies. Champions has a nice chaotic version of this but poor effects. When you throw a tractor trailer or something at someone it just vaporizes / vanishes. No debris and it doesn't hurt strong enemies enough as it should.

Shapeshift and masterminds are still mostly unique to coh as far as I know. Controlling Multiple pets, dominator like crowd control and stuff like that just don't exist... Now I can't say anything about the upcoming games since those are still too early to say. Even Valiance Online is subject to change.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:49:26 AM by Noyjitat »

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
As far as I'm aware....

City of Titans is not launching with Masterminds or Controllers but they're definitely planned.  They've even been named. The Controller and Dominator analogs (called Director and Engineer, respectively) will be two of the three subclasses of the Operator AT (the third will be Executor, Control/Ranged, a combination not seen in CoH); and Mastermind will be the Brigadier, a subclass of the Commander AT (the other two subclasses will be Taskmaster and Ringleader, which are Pets/Assault and Pets/Manipulation respectively).

Valiance had a Mastermind-like class (with a pair of soldiers you could command) in one of the early pre-alphas, years ago, but I don't know what the game looks like now.

Ship of Heroes has only announced Tank (Tanker), Brawler (Scrapper, I think, possibly Brute), Devastator (Blaster?), and Defender (Defender, duh) ATs.  Presumably they'll add the other ATs later (Controller, in particular, was voted the most wanted AT in one of their polls), but not at launch.

I leave out Heroes and Villains because they've announced nothing about their AT setup (unless it's buried in one of their weekly updates, but I'm not digging through five years worth of those).

I don't know if any of them are planning to do anything like a shapeshifting class.  Most ATs are pretty generic by nature (even the AT names are generic, even though all of the successors are afraid to use them), but the Epic ATs were specific to City of Heroes, and they'd have to be pretty careful trying to make something similar.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 04:20:53 AM »
Well, cosmic shapeshifting aliens aren't unique to CoH.  The Ultraman franchise is well known for that, plus Marvel has the Skrulls and their modified super powered Super Skrulls.

I'm sure the devs for the new games will think of something given time.

I wonder if NCSoft is paying that much attention to the successor projects anyway. They sure don't seem to care about CoH anymore
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

lunawisp

• Minion
    • lunawisp - general gaming blog!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 05:04:43 AM »
There's been a change of plan at Ship of Heroes. Since it was so popular with the community, they've decided that are now going to launch the beta with a controller type power set.

We are currently planning to add the first five effects to the game at or shortly after the Beta launch.
- https://www.shipofheroes.com/crowd-control-and-status-effects-in-soh/.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes, she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:44:49 PM »
I did see that, but they only say they're planning on putting in the effects, not yet a class that is built around those effects.  Various CC effects were part of many Blaster and Scrapper powersets (primary, secondary, and tertiary)

(I notice the list is missing Stun/Disorient, but that was often just a poor man's Hold anyway)

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 06:57:14 PM »
no knockdown/back either which seems odd

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 09:20:27 PM »
I forgot the powerset in COH but the one that you threw stuff like trucks and forklifts.

Whenever someone did that many on the team would do the MST3K song - "He tried to kill him with a forklift!"

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
That was Gravity Control, specifically Propel.  The funny part of that was that the object generated was random per client, meaning that no two people saw the same thing appear and smash into the enemy.

Gravity Control was my favorite control set, even though it was a little weak on actual control.  (It was the pet, mostly.  Ol' Singy was my favorite Controller/Dominator pet)