Author Topic: Tequilla has been detected virus!  (Read 3975 times)

Hablaguy28777

• Underling
Tequilla has been detected virus!
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
Hey everyone, I have tried to download Tequilla and when it does, it stops by saying "It has detected virus." How do I solve this problem?

lunawisp

• Minion
    • lunawisp - general gaming blog!
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes, she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Hablaguy28777

• Underling
Tequilla has been detected Virus!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:00:18 AM »
Mine is about everytime I try download Tequila from the internet. It says has detected a virus so they stop the installing for Tequila like downloading this link.

http://patch.savecoh.com/tequila.exe

lunawisp

• Minion
Re: Tequilla has been detected virus!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 07:40:13 AM »
What are you using for an anti-virus? I've just downloaded it and scanned it and found no issues.

If you're using one of those anti-virus programs that stupidly decides anything that isn't in common use must be bad, you might want to consider changing it.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes, she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Tequilla has been detected Virus!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »
Mine is about everytime I try download Tequila from the internet. It says has detected a virus so they stop the installing for Tequila like downloading this link.

http://patch.savecoh.com/tequila.exe

Clears throat...

CW, you ask, why don't you simply fix Paragon Chat to not trigger these heuristics? Well, two reasons. The first is that Paragon Chat is doing something very complicated and off the beaten path. It's using code and data from other software in ways that its designers never anticipated or intended. It really does need to do all of those scary sounding things to make it happen, there's just no way around that.

The second is that AV companies don't tell anyone how their engines work, or how to modify software to avoid detection. After all, if they did that, the bad guys would just modify their malware to avoid it as well.

So at the end of the day, if you want to run Paragon Chat you have to make a conscious decision to trust us over what your AV software is saying. All we can do is put it out there and leave it up to the community to form their own consensus of whether or not we're deserving of that trust.

It's in the post. 

If you want to use Paragon Chat, you have two choices.  Either you can set Tequila and Paragon Chat as exemptions in your Anti-Virus (whitelist the apps so they're ignored).  You can ask here if you have a particular AV app and someone else who has it and runs Paragon Chat can chime in on what to do (eventually... technical support lies with the community, and not all of us read the forums daily.)  Or you can Google for an answer yourself.

Or you can change anti-virus providers until you find one that doesn't interfere with the program.  This involves more trial and error and it's your only choice if your AV won't allow exemptions.  (Rare.  After all, AV is used by programmers... if nothing is exempt, writing some programs would be impossible.)

The third option isn't really an option:  If you trust anti-virus and don't want to use Paragon Chat until they clear the warnings, don't hold your breath.  We're all volunteers and making Paragon Chat "Anti-Virus Safe" is more expensive and time consuming than it's worth.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 04:17:20 PM »

I'm going to add that this is being complicated further by people not paying attention and telling their antivirus to "go ahead and quarantine" Tequila.  That causes the AV to phone home and tell their systems that yes, it is indeed a virus.  Because of people doing that, my attempts to add it as a false positive via the AV web sites has failed, and it's now been upgraded to an active threat by some of the AV providers.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 05:05:28 PM »
Because of people doing that, my attempts to add it as a false positive via the AV web sites has failed, and it's now been upgraded to an active threat by some of the AV providers.

(Obviously not directed at Manga.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

lunawisp

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 05:33:12 PM »
If you get these try running them through https://www.virustotal.com/.

That shows that 2 out of 63 AV products have a problem with that file. It would be handy if they told us what the perceived problem actually is. I think the whole AV scanning thing is a real mess. These AV companies need to get their act together before people start abandoning them. At present, all these false positives are simply persuading people to ignore their AV software and that can only end badly.

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 09:34:19 PM »
I tried it but it didn't work. What is the problem?

Well One issue is that Tequila is basically abandonware AFAIK. HC has their own launcher and Manga has made things to make it Mac compatible. There are guides on that server's forum. IDK about other servers. HC is now officially licensed BTW.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com