Author Topic: They are definitely digging deep.  (Read 2229 times)

Mandu

• Elite Boss
They are definitely digging deep.
« on: April 20, 2018, 01:51:34 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/f-gary-gray-direct-hasbros-mask-movie-1103866

They have a good director but would have been better off going with Bionic Six or Visionaries.  The whole concept of people having super powered helmets always struck me as stupid.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: They are definitely digging deep.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 02:15:48 AM »
The theme song might be the most 80s thing ever. They shouldn't even bother with a crappy cover, just keep it the same. Hopefully they'll leave out the kid and robot though.

And I love that you find power helmets more stupid than hologram chests :D But given that they've got a whole shared universe in the comics with all the hasbro stuff you might be in luck. it's not as if any of them could be any worse than the existing hasbro movies.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 05:56:41 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/f-gary-gray-direct-hasbros-mask-movie-1103866

They have a good director but would have been better off going with Bionic Six or Visionaries.  The whole concept of people having super powered helmets always struck me as stupid.

Rings? Fine.  Hammers? Great. Necklaces? Sure.  Bracelets?  Why not.  But you draw the line at helmets.  Nabu is disappoint.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »
I'm not encouraged.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/mask-f-gary-gray-hasbro-paramount-movie-the-fate-of-the-furious-straight-outta-compton-1202367320/

"They will move quickly to set a writer to hatch a contemporary subculture movie with a youth empowerment angle."

So that means that Matt Trakker will be a 15-year-old, and the other members of MASK will just be his high-school buddies, and the vehicles and helmets will just be something they whip together in shop class or in someone's garage.

... or, worse...

Two straight hours of Scott Trakker and T-Bob.

Edit: From the same article:

"Gray sparked to MASK because it is a vintage property that could be revamped and have something to say to a contemporary audience. For Paramount, it is exactly the kind of franchise swing that the rebuilding studio needs."

My gut instinct is that this is not going to be even close to a faithful adaptation.  They're going to twist it into some in-name-only unrecognizable thing, like they did with Jem.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:19:09 AM by Thunder Glove »

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 01:32:09 AM »
The reason I find the helmets ridiculous is that all the other series with the ultra powerful items the items are either magic or extremely advanced technology.  M.A.S.K. is human created current (supposedly) technology. Why create a powerful item that can do one specific thing and put it in a helmet?  An overly large helmet at that.

Another better cartoon they could have done is Galaxy Rangers.

I suppose the biggest reason for my automatic reaction is because of all the super team cartoons of that era mask was just plain one of the worst written.   And it had that kid on the unicycle robot. Just like Carl Grimes he should have stayed in the house.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 03:30:53 PM »
Rings? Fine.  Hammers? Great. Necklaces? Sure.  Bracelets?  Why not.  But you draw the line at helmets.  Nabu is disappoint.
Masks always seemed to make more sense to me because of neural interfaces. MASK's masks were just typical, ubiquitous cybernetic helmets. And the powers were not that powerful. It doesn't really make much sense to have every mask do the same thing.

Frankly, I'd be much more interested in seeing a ROM or Micronauts movie (really been enjoying IDW's HasbroVerse), but this is cool.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:36:58 PM by MyriVerse »
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »
The reason I find the helmets ridiculous is that all the other series with the ultra powerful items the items are either magic or extremely advanced technology.  M.A.S.K. is human created current (supposedly) technology. Why create a powerful item that can do one specific thing and put it in a helmet?  An overly large helmet at that.

Another better cartoon they could have done is Galaxy Rangers.

I suppose the biggest reason for my automatic reaction is because of all the super team cartoons of that era mask was just plain one of the worst written.   And it had that kid on the unicycle robot. Just like Carl Grimes he should have stayed in the house.

Just be thankful DC isn't doing a "Dial H" movie.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 05:41:41 PM »
Just be thankful DC isn't doing a "Dial H" movie.

That could be an interesting concept for a film actually.

Now Sugar and Spike...................

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
That could be an interesting concept for a film actually.

Now Sugar and Spike...................

I actually liked the Dial H concept though not the execution.  It's like a version of Ben 10 with no repeats.