Author Topic: Avengers:Infinity War. GO SEE IT  (Read 22249 times)

therain93

• Elite Boss
Avengers:Infinity War. GO SEE IT
« on: April 27, 2018, 04:47:32 AM »
Really, go see it before it is spoiled for you.

I caught a 9:45 tonight and was glad I did since I otherwise would have had to wait 2-3 weeks.   I give it a strong 8, but really don't want to discuss other than,  damn... the Russo brothers and crew did a great job keeping the details under wraps.    I'm not familiar with the comic storyline,  but they packed a lot in and it felt like it went fast....I was ready to sit through what would have been part 2 right there. I will likely go see it again. No mid credirs scene,  but 1 end credit.

Spoiler for Hidden:
RIP Agent Hill. 
Edit.  The end felt like such a gut punch,  it felt almost like CoH had closed again.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:03:05 AM by therain93 »
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: Avengers:Infinity War. GO SEE IT
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »
The Russo brothers really have a handle on making these big ensemble movies without making any of the characters feel like token appearances - everyone feels like they should be there.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »
The Russo brothers really have a handle on making these big ensemble movies without making any of the characters feel like token appearances - everyone feels like they should be there.

DC and Warner should go see this and takes notes - lots of notes on - how to do these types of films that won't suck.

Or just let Disney buy them too.

therainstormlord

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »
DC and Warner should go see this and takes notes - lots of notes on - how to do these types of films that won't suck.

The problem with DC is that they're impatient.  Marvel has done this set up for 10 years now and it's really quite an achievement (as GG mentioned, they really have done a phenomenal job making a tight movie without feeling like someone was shoe-horned).  Furthermore, I don't think you can appreciate Infinity War fully if you haven't seen a good number of the prior movies (i.e., it isn't standalone).  DC is trying to play catch up because they think they're competing against marvel when really they're only beating themselves.

Edit:  As a slightly related tangent, I was really hoping they could have slipped the Defenders in as a token nod, but sadly, no.  I don't think that needs spoiler tags ( ' ;

mobbyg

• Minion
  • Ultra Knight Lives!!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 07:34:54 PM »
Went and saw it this morning. It was great! Everything I was expecting and it had humor, suspense and was really fun!
I can't recommend seeing this more highly!

Did anyone else get one of these this weekend?

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 03:07:49 PM »
i liked Thanos's motivations better than the comics. It's always better when the villain has more depth than "I am mighty and I want x!"

Spoiler for Hidden:
Though nobody tell Thanos it only takes Earth about 20 years to double its population.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 03:29:49 PM »
I don't really agree with that.

Spoiler for Hidden:
He was better as just a serial/mass killer. There's no reason to give him a twisted benevolent slant. He kills because death is good and he loves her. That is all. The sight of Thanos crying disgusts me. The only tears he should be capable of are crocodile.

Other than that, my only problem was that except for Hulk and briefly Vision, the rest of the Earthbound cast were dull as dirt, even the recently awesome Black Panther cast.

Well...

Spoiler for Hidden:
I also didn't like the Soul Gem's "payment." It should be that you sacrifice your own soul. Killing someone else isn't a sacrifice on your part.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:36:40 PM by MyriVerse »
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 02:34:26 AM »
I admit I liked it a lot, it had some issues there and here, but I was willing to let those go and appreciate the 10 years of build up.

Spoiler for Hidden:
And if he had to 'give up his soul' with how the gem worked he'd be dead, so him having to kill something he loved worked for me.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Meh. If Thanos doesn't love himself (or death) most of all, they're doing it wrongly. I also don't consider losing your soul to be death, at least not in any meaningful way. Besides, in the original, Thanos learned that becoming "god" was BS and not worth it, anyway.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Meh. If Thanos doesn't love himself (or death) most of all, they're doing it wrongly. I also don't consider losing your soul to be death, at least not in any meaningful way. Besides, in the original, Thanos learned that becoming "god" was BS and not worth it, anyway.

Wasn't there a run in the comics where he became sort of a 'good' guy or at least gave up his old ways for a while?

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 07:56:21 PM »
i liked Thanos's motivations better than the comics. It's always better when the villain has more depth than "I am mighty and I want x!"

Spoiler for Hidden:
Though nobody tell Thanos it only takes Earth about 20 years to double its population.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I thought the reason why he wants to wipe out half the universe was to restore humanity on Titan.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 08:44:16 PM »
Very difficult to discuss without spoilers.  I'd give it a 9 out of 10 if you're a fan of the Marvel movies in general, but I don't think there is enough there on its own to be the kind of movie that will change minds.  I recommend Black Panther even to people who don't like the previous Marvel movies.  But this movie is definitely one for the fans.

I liked the MCU version of Thanos.  Infinity War is a rather unique creature among superhero movies in which the villain is the protagonist of the movie.  It is Thanos who has the strongest character arc, and it is paid off in the movie.  If you think about the movie that way, the movie ended the only way it could end.

I liked the way the movie handled the characters in general.  It seemed remarkably balanced for a movie with so many characters.  But a lot of the credit for that goes to Marvel Studios for continuing to build on their cinematic universe.  If you've seen the previous movies and have come to know and love these characters you can hit the ground running.  If not, it could seem to be a blurry jumble to a newcomer.  If there is such a thing.

I liked the way that in one sense its obviously the first part of a longer story, and in another sense it is one stand alone story.  But there's no way to discuss that spoiler free.

Amazingly, I liked the fact that the trailers both hyped the movie and yet didn't give away many important beats to the story.  That doesn't happen often these days.

I personally liked the way they used humor to help pace the movie.  Infinity War is extremely dense, and it moves rapidly from one scene where a lot is happening to another scene where a lot is happening.  In some movies (say, Winter Soldier) the action and activity is interspersed among slower scenes where the audience can catch their breath.  In this movie, you don't get very many such moments.  The banter and the humor make sure you don't get wound up too tightly for too long.  It can be a little distracting at times, but I think that's deliberate.  You're meant to get slightly kicked out of the scene to have a laugh and then jump right back in.

I liked that the movie defied expectations.  It did that multiple times.  I won't say more about that.

There's two moments that I think some will think are dumb.  The second one didn't bother me, because I believe that there was a very good reason for it set up earlier, where the character in question is doing an apparently dumb thing for a good reason we just don't know.  In fact it is so obviously out of character that it plays as a deliberate act of subterfuge.  The first one made me literally think they should have just eaten Gilligan.  If i was there, I would have literally shot him in the face.

As I'm watching the credits roll waiting for the stinger, all I could think was "wow, I really just saw that."  If you are a fan of the MCU, go see this movie.  If you don't have excellent bladder control, don't drink the big drink: there are very few bathroom break moments in the movie.  Don't read spoilers.  Don't read anything about the movie until you see it.  See it with fresh eyes.  Infinity War is as much an experience as a story, and you'll want to get the full experience of just watching it all happen.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 08:48:44 PM »

No.  They should go watch Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America.  That's how you make Infinity War: you start there.  They keep trying to swing for the fences.  They aren't Babe Ruth.

That would help, but that's not enough.  The MCU got really lucky in having someone like Kevin Feige shepherd the MCU in just the right way to get us here.  It could have gone wrong any number of ways.  Its not even clear to me he could do it again from scratch.  Marvel had patience, they had time on their side, they didn't face any serious competition, and they were willing to take just enough risk to keep things moving forward without taking too much risk and blowing it all up.  They need someone willing to do that for the DC movies.  And the don't currently have that guy.  Everyone at DC and Warner either is beholden to the comics too much, or wants to ignore them too much.  They need someone that loves them, is inspired by them, but can cherry pick the right pieces to put in film in its own unique way.

They've done it before.  Maybe they need Bruce Timm supervising the DC movies.

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 09:01:43 PM »
The weekend estimates are for record 250 million domestic - Justice League only limped to 229 million domestic for it's whole run - it's not even a contest anymore, it's a rout.
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »
No.  They should go watch Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America.  That's how you make Infinity War: you start there.  They keep trying to swing for the fences.  They aren't Babe Ruth.

That would help, but that's not enough.  The MCU got really lucky in having someone like Kevin Feige shepherd the MCU in just the right way to get us here.  It could have gone wrong any number of ways.  Its not even clear to me he could do it again from scratch.  Marvel had patience, they had time on their side, they didn't face any serious competition, and they were willing to take just enough risk to keep things moving forward without taking too much risk and blowing it all up.  They need someone willing to do that for the DC movies.  And the don't currently have that guy.  Everyone at DC and Warner either is beholden to the comics too much, or wants to ignore them too much.  They need someone that loves them, is inspired by them, but can cherry pick the right pieces to put in film in its own unique way.

They've done it before.  Maybe they need Bruce Timm supervising the DC movies.

Got to agree.

And the best stuff DC has ever done with the characters are the animated shows like the Batman & Superman series or Justice Leagues.
Or even many of their DVD films are 50 times better then the live action ones.

Too bad there wasn't the vision of things to come back in the day. We could have had Chris Reeve Superman teaming up with the Keaton Batman and the Wesley-Ship Flash.

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 09:20:16 PM »
WB could improve their chances drastically if they started respecting comics instead of being ashamed of them.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 11:50:14 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:

Spoiler for Hidden:
You might not, but that was one of the way Adam Warlock would kill people in the comics using the soul gem to remove their souls and kill them. Plus I'll be honest I think he reasoning in the movie is a lot more workable then him being an emo fanboy begging the personification of a natural force to love him.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 11:54:42 PM »
WB could improve their chances drastically if they started respecting comics instead of being ashamed of them.

But if we did that then we can't have Superman as done by Ayn Rand in Atlas Shrugged.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 02:06:59 AM »

Except that 90+% of their comics are just as terrible as their movies and non-Timm shows, if not worse.

Spoiler for Hidden:
So Thanos is basically space Ra's al Ghul. Ok, i guess that's as good as wanting to impress Death.

Half the population disappearing at once... If Stan isn't wearing a 'Kirk Cameron was right' t-shirt in the next movie they're missing out.

Also I can't believe they ripped off the Phantom Menace.

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 06:02:02 AM »
Except that 90+% of their comics are just as terrible as their movies and non-Timm shows, if not worse.

Their quality varies just as wildly as Marvel comics - what I'm talking about is that just like the MCU has done, the DCCU needs to understand that the silliness of comics is where the awesomeness comes from and that silly and serious aren't incompatible.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »
Well its official -

"Best........... Box Office Opening.............Ever.........."

(Until Avengers 4)

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »
The first one made me literally think they should have just eaten Gilligan.  If i was there, I would have literally shot him in the face.

Yeah... "We don't trade lives!"

Spoiler for Hidden:
So let's send hundreds of Gungans Wakandans to die protecting one dude.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 09:32:23 PM »
BTW nostalgia feels that the giant wheel ships looked a bit like the Doctor Doom vehicle in the Secret Wars toyline. Unfortunately the shield the Wakandans gave Cap didn't appear to be lenticular.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 02:43:16 AM »
The weekend estimates are for record 250 million domestic - Justice League only limped to 229 million domestic for it's whole run - it's not even a contest anymore, it's a rout.

The latest number I'm seeing is 258 million domestic, which beats The Force Awakens by an incredible ten million dollars.

Also, Black Panther moved *upward* in Infinity War's opening weekend, moving from 8th place to 5th place domestically, partially aided by double features in some locations.  That's just crazy.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 02:45:19 AM »
Yeah... "We don't trade lives!"

Without spoilers, I think this is going to be the arc words of the Infinity movies.  And I think the speaker of them will come to deeply regret them.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 03:13:17 AM »
I enjoyed the movie, but the pacing felt really weird to me.  Like it was a bunch of movies pieced together.  Not to mention this particular thing kept bugging me

Spoiler for Hidden:
You could practically put money on when someone would be rescued, and someone would die.  Oh no, this hero has lost!  Good thing another appears on the horizon!  That loses its effect after the 10th freaking time.

I recommend the movie, but its exposition needed work.  The movie would be a lot better if it was like a 5 part HBO series instead of trying to pack so much stuff into a single movie.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »

H311, DC's movie division should watch "Crisis On Earth-X" and take notes on how to do these types of films that won't suck.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 03:17:50 PM »
H311, DC's movie division should watch "Crisis On Earth-X" and take notes on how to do these types of films that won't suck.

This is true. That miniseries was way better then any of the films.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 08:37:41 PM »
Hrm... I liked Thanos' original motivation, but I also like and fully endorse his motivation in the movie.  I was never a big fan of Thanos in the comics, though - I liked his motivation there because it was absurd and served to make him a bit of a laughing stock.

I loved that the suit had four arms instead of three.

The 3D ranged from pointless to awful.

All-in-all it was a fun ride.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 09:47:38 PM »
This is true. That miniseries was way better then any of the films.

It worked for the same reason that IW worked - the characters had all been introduced and fleshed out previously, so the team-up could hit the ground running.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 09:58:24 PM »

Spoiler for Hidden:

I don't really agree with that.

Spoiler for Hidden:
He was better as just a serial/mass killer. There's no reason to give him a twisted benevolent slant. He kills because death is good and he loves her. That is all. The sight of Thanos crying disgusts me. The only tears he should be capable of are crocodile.

Actually, you're both partially wrong.  MCU Thanos' motivation is not radically dissimilar to the one in the comics.  It is just that a lot of people have forgotten what his motivation actually was in the comics.

Minor spoiler:
Spoiler for Hidden:
In the comics, Thanos worships Mistress Death, but in the Thanos Quest / Infinity Gauntlet story line Thanos is not an indiscriminate killer - he is actually working for Death itself.  Death resurrected Thanos specifically to accomplish a task, which Thanos himself has interpreted as bringing balance to the universe by culling the population so that life doesn't completely choke itself of all resources and dies.  If everything overpopulates itself to death, then no more things can die.  Death doesn't want everything to die, Death wants continuous death.  That can only happen if life continues to exist.

In that respect, MCU Thanos has the same motivation as comic book Thanos.  It is just that MCU Thanos reaches this conclusion on his own after he witnesses the fate of his home world while comic book Thanos is given this mission by Mistress Death.  Death chooses Thanos to carry out this mission specifically because he likes Death and destruction, but his goal is supposed to be not that of a lunatic killer.  He believes he is serving a cosmic purpose.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 11:08:15 PM »
Actually, you're both partially wrong.  MCU Thanos' motivation is not radically dissimilar to the one in the comics.  It is just that a lot of people have forgotten what his motivation actually was in the comics.

We've probably read too much of Deadpool ragging on him in the intervening years.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 12:51:48 AM »
On another note, if anyone is reading this thread and is one of the nine people on Earth that hasn't seen the movie yet, stay to the end of the credits for the stinger scene at the end.  In my opinion Infinity War's stinger is an integral part of the movie.  Without it, Infinity War ends on a very specific note.  But with the stinger, the movie ends on an epilogue that has a materially different tone.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 03:30:27 AM »
On another note, if anyone is reading this thread and is one of the nine people on Earth that hasn't seen the movie yet, stay to the end of the credits for the stinger scene at the end.  In my opinion Infinity War's stinger is an integral part of the movie.  Without it, Infinity War ends on a very specific note.  But with the stinger, the movie ends on an epilogue that has a materially different tone.

In reference to that I was a little confused

Spoiler for Hidden:
Who was that distress call too?  I couldn't quite make it out, I thought it might be Captain America?

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 03:49:24 AM »

As long as it doesn't lead to very little and is not disappointing after waiting so long for it.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 04:15:19 AM »
In reference to that I was a little confused

Spoiler for Hidden:
Who was that distress call too?  I couldn't quite make it out, I thought it might be Captain America?

Spoiler for Hidden:
Captain Marvel. I suppose we'll find out in her movie what she's been up to (since it's supposed to be set in the 90s i'm guessing the post-credit scene will involve current her getting Fury's signal) but presumably she's running around the galaxy being all proactive or some such.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 07:00:29 AM »

I don't see it.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It's a dark ending where the bad guy has dramatically won with grave consequences for the entire universe either way.  Without any more details, it can't even be called a bare glimmer of hope in the darkness, and even if it were taken as such it's tarnished itself by the dissolution of Fury.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
I don't see it.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It's a dark ending where the bad guy has dramatically won with grave consequences for the entire universe either way.  Without any more details, it can't even be called a bare glimmer of hope in the darkness, and even if it were taken as such it's tarnished itself by the dissolution of Fury.

I don't see it either

Spoiler for Hidden:
Just seems like the usual set up for the next character they've been doing since IM. Because to me Doc Strange's use of the time stone pretty much invalidates any of the grave consequences we see from that point on. Now maybe they won't just have Thanos put it all back the way it was or have it revert when Tony tricks him into saying 'Sonaht' or have them all reappear on Battleworld at the end of part 2 or whatever. But I have trouble accepting anything after a character views possible futures, sees one scenario that turns out well, then does something seemingly ridiculous.

on a different note
Spoiler for Hidden:
I like the idea that Carol would hit the snooze when half the universe's population disappears but would hop to at a fancy DM from Fury.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 02:57:21 PM »
Saw it, really liked it.  I really liked the story of Thanos - the best villains don't think they're villains.

Spoiler for Hidden:
They played the "I must save this one life and give Thanos a chance to complete the gauntlet even if it means the death of trillions" too many times.  They certainly do trade lives.

Thor is the best!  He's just on completely different level than everyone else.  Things that rational people think would be impossible are obvious options for Thor and he makes it work. 
  • Survive unaided in the vacuum of space?  Yup.
  • Kick start a dyson ring by hammer throwing (Olympic-style) a spaceship.  Easy.
  • Doing a bodybuilder pose to open a portal to a neutron star to melt metal and surviving.  A flesh wound.
  • Mortally wounding Thanos where the best anyone else could do was a scratch? With authority.

I hope they come back around to that "You should have gone for the head" comment.

I love that he took Groot in school I can totally see Thor thinking "it's only 3 words; easy 'A'"

Stormbreaker puts us one step closer to Beta Ray Bill, who is one of my favourite characters!

Steve and T'Challa racing ahead to engage the outriders was awesome too!

I *loved* that they actually killed half of everyone!  Going to be interesting to see how they undo that.  I suspect that Dr. Strange's one vision of success was this timeline.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 01:01:33 AM »
Saw it, really liked it.  I really liked the story of Thanos - the best villains don't think they're villains.

Spoiler for Hidden:
They played the "I must save this one life and give Thanos a chance to complete the gauntlet even if it means the death of trillions" too many times.  They certainly do trade lives.

Thor is the best!  He's just on completely different level than everyone else.  Things that rational people think would be impossible are obvious options for Thor and he makes it work. 
  • Survive unaided in the vacuum of space?  Yup.
  • Kick start a dyson ring by hammer throwing (Olympic-style) a spaceship.  Easy.
  • Doing a bodybuilder pose to open a portal to a neutron star to melt metal and surviving.  A flesh wound.
  • Mortally wounding Thanos where the best anyone else could do was a scratch? With authority.

I hope they come back around to that "You should have gone for the head" comment.

I love that he took Groot in school I can totally see Thor thinking "it's only 3 words; easy 'A'"

Stormbreaker puts us one step closer to Beta Ray Bill, who is one of my favourite characters!

Steve and T'Challa racing ahead to engage the outriders was awesome too!

I *loved* that they actually killed half of everyone!  Going to be interesting to see how they undo that.  I suspect that Dr. Strange's one vision of success was this timeline.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I felt like they really beefed up Thor for this one.  Which I am okay with but he seemed even more powerful than normal

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 02:10:34 AM »
I don't see it.

Spoiler for Hidden:

Spoiler for ending:

Spoiler for Hidden:
The nominal ending is: Thanos wins, the end.  Of course, outside the movie we know that's not the end, but narratively it has some element of finality even with Dr. Strange's prophetic last words.  But with the stinger, there is the narrative sense that Nick Fury has one last trick up his sleeve that could change things.

And if we keep our perspective flipped and see this as Thanos' story, then the stinger is exactly like the ending of a horror movie where there's the hint that the villain might not be completely defeated.  If Thanos is the protagonist, then he recovers the stones, creates the ultimate weapon, faces the ultimate enemy in Thor, and with his dying breath he defeats his foes and sets the universe right.  And then in the stinger, we see that maybe Thanos didn't defeat his greatest threat, and an even greater threat might be on the horizon.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 02:27:50 AM »
I don't see it either

Spoiler for Hidden:
Just seems like the usual set up for the next character they've been doing since IM. Because to me Doc Strange's use of the time stone pretty much invalidates any of the grave consequences we see from that point on. Now maybe they won't just have Thanos put it all back the way it was or have it revert when Tony tricks him into saying 'Sonaht' or have them all reappear on Battleworld at the end of part 2 or whatever. But I have trouble accepting anything after a character views possible futures, sees one scenario that turns out well, then does something seemingly ridiculous.

Spoiler for the ending of Infinity War:
Spoiler for Hidden:
One thing I think we all have to keep in mind is that the MCU is not the main Marvel Universe.  The Infinity Stones are not the Infinity Gems and the MCU Infinity Gauntlet is not the 616 Gauntlet.  Thanos was not omnipotent and omniscient in Infinity War.  Thor almost killed Thanos, and Stormbreaker was able to resist the power of the Infinity Gauntlet.  The stones give the wielder control over different aspects of existence, but that control is not infinite.  Unlike in the 616 universe, Thanos *destroys* the Gauntlet when he uses enough power to destroy half the life in the universe.  And unlike in the 616 universe, the Soul stone extracts a permanent cost from the user: they must surrender the soul of someone they love.  Thanos couldn't recreate Gamora even when he had the Gauntlet, even though it is clear he would have if he could.

With the Gauntlet destroyed, the only way to reverse the effects of Infinity War with the Infinity Stones is to recreate the gauntlet and wield the stones.  And it is entirely possible that to wield the Soul stone, an Avenger will have to pay the same price Thanos did.  We've also seen it established in the MCU that wielding the infinity stones extracts a significant cost on the user: lesser beings can be destroyed even trying to hold them.  Thanos is an extremely powerful being.  There's no guarantee that any one of the Avengers could wield the Infinity Gauntlet in the same way as Thanos, which means the cost of trying to reverse its effects could be much higher than the cost that Thanos had to pay.

We know that Dr. Strange foresaw a way for the Avengers to win.  But we don't know what the cost of that victory will be.  But it is implied that cost will be high.  When Strange tells them he only saw one future in which they win, he says it in a very ominous tone, like its not an entirely happy ending.  Outside the fourth wall, we know there are limits to what the Russos can really do in Avengers 4.  But given the narrative to date,
 we really are given no reason to believe that the damage done in Avengers 3 is completely reversible.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 03:20:46 AM »
Spoiler for ending:

Spoiler for Hidden:
The nominal ending is: Thanos wins, the end.  Of course, outside the movie we know that's not the end, but narratively it has some element of finality even with Dr. Strange's prophetic last words.  But with the stinger, there is the narrative sense that Nick Fury has one last trick up his sleeve that could change things.

And if we keep our perspective flipped and see this as Thanos' story, then the stinger is exactly like the ending of a horror movie where there's the hint that the villain might not be completely defeated.  If Thanos is the protagonist, then he recovers the stones, creates the ultimate weapon, faces the ultimate enemy in Thor, and with his dying breath he defeats his foes and sets the universe right.  And then in the stinger, we see that maybe Thanos didn't defeat his greatest threat, and an even greater threat might be on the horizon.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I see so basically this is letting super casual fans only familiar with the MCU that Fury has another plan. Anyone familiar with the comics knows Fury always has another plan, up to and including sniping cosmic beings from asteroids with space rifles. Also most would probably know Cap Marvel is scheduled before A4. But yeah, i'll buy that logic.

And sure, whatever will have consequences. My guess will be at the least Tony will die based both on RDJ getting older and probably tired of the character after so many movies but also based on the engagement to Pepper and standard cop-a-week-from-retirement logic. But I don't believe for a second they'd leave Peter or T'Challa dead.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 03:38:30 AM »
I loved the movie. I've never had different emotions while watching a movie. But, I have some questions:

Spoiler for Hidden:
How did Thanos knew the Power Stone was at Nova Core? How did Thanos knew Loki have the Space Stone? How did he knew the
The Collector had the Reality Stone? And...... Dr. Strange. He knew all of the stones were expect for the Soul Stone which he had to torture Nebula to force Gamora to tell him where it was.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 05:57:34 AM »
Hard to say.  If he had made it his life's mission, and had a vast army at his disposal, and thus likely had agents looking for the stones across the galaxy the question wouldn't even be worth asking.  But I just couldn't say.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2018, 01:29:35 PM »
Spoiler for ending:

Spoiler for Hidden:

Maybe everything from Dr Strange going into a trance to the end was just a mental image implanted in Thanos' mind by the Martian Manhunter.  The same way he defeated Despero during JLI...

Oh, wait...

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »
Maybe the next movie will open with Thanos waking up, and when he goes to take a shower, half the universe will be in there, and it will have all been a dream.

:o

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2018, 07:16:29 PM »
Spoiler for the ending of Infinity War:
Spoiler for Hidden:
With the Gauntlet destroyed, the only way to reverse the effects of Infinity War with the Infinity Stones is to recreate the gauntlet and wield the stones.  And it is entirely possible that to wield the Soul stone, an Avenger will have to pay the same price Thanos did.  We've also seen it established in the MCU that wielding the infinity stones extracts a significant cost on the user: lesser beings can be destroyed even trying to hold them.  Thanos is an extremely powerful being.  There's no guarantee that any one of the Avengers could wield the Infinity Gauntlet in the same way as Thanos, which means the cost of trying to reverse its effects could be much higher than the cost that Thanos had to pay.

We know that Dr. Strange foresaw a way for the Avengers to win.  But we don't know what the cost of that victory will be.  But it is implied that cost will be high.  When Strange tells them he only saw one future in which they win, he says it in a very ominous tone, like its not an entirely happy ending.  Outside the fourth wall, we know there are limits to what the Russos can really do in Avengers 4.  But given the narrative to date,
 we really are given no reason to believe that the damage done in Avengers 3 is completely reversible.

I like this idea alot - Strange seems the most apt choice for my money.

The lead up is gonna be a hell of a ride!

Btw, has anyone else heard the rumours Hugh Jackman was seen in the Avengers set??

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
I loved the movie. I've never had different emotions while watching a movie. But, I have some questions:

Spoiler for Hidden:
How did Thanos knew the Power Stone was at Nova Core? How did Thanos knew Loki have the Space Stone? How did he knew the
The Collector had the Reality Stone? And...... Dr. Strange. He knew all of the stones were expect for the Soul Stone which he had to torture Nebula to force Gamora to tell him where it was.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The Power Stone was probably a reasonable guess based on the events of GotG Vol1.

Thanos might not have known that Loki had the storn, but since the Asgardians had it last, that's a good place to start.

As for the Reality Stone, I suspect that nothing goes unnoticed on Knowhere and he just paid/tortured someone for information.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2018, 09:11:02 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
I see so basically this is letting super casual fans only familiar with the MCU that Fury has another plan. Anyone familiar with the comics knows Fury always has another plan, up to and including sniping cosmic beings from asteroids with space rifles. Also most would probably know Cap Marvel is scheduled before A4. But yeah, i'll buy that logic.

And sure, whatever will have consequences. My guess will be at the least Tony will die based both on RDJ getting older and probably tired of the character after so many movies but also based on the engagement to Pepper and standard cop-a-week-from-retirement logic. But I don't believe for a second they'd leave Peter or T'Challa dead.

I judge the narrative by what's in the movie, or in this case what's in the series of movies collectively.  I know how both Titanic and Schindler's List ultimately have to end, but I still generally judge the story by its internal logic and not the meta one.  If you judge stories by the super-meta perspective, I don't see how there can be any such thing as an interesting story.  As they say in chess, you'd be playing the player, not the board.

As to your specific guess:

Spoiler for Hidden:
I think the Russos have demonstrated enough daring that the ending isn't certain even with all the meta context we know.  For example, it is possible they are setting up Tony to be the sacrificial lamb, but it also seems entirely possible to me that they are setting up Tony to be the one to make the sacrifice.  And he's already been willing to sacrifice his life once before, in the first Avengers movie.  For Tony, he's gone from being someone that is very selfish to someone that almost has a martyr complex.  For Tony, dying isn't the same sacrifice it was prior to the first Avengers movie.  For Tony, the more difficult sacrifice would be giving up something he loves, as Thanos did.  Throughout the movies, the one thing Tony consistently cares about more than anything else is Pepper.

Tony being the one to die seems obvious, but maybe that's a red herring.  Barring that, having to sacrifice Pepper also seems obvious, but maybe that's also a red herring.  I think we know something with a certain kind of shape has to happen, but I think the Russos have carved out a space where they can go in different directions and anyone who claims to be sure which one it will be is just wildly guessing.

For me, the dynamic tension is between the overarching story being about Tony's story, but the most obvious person to depart the franchise being Chris Evans.  Heck, maybe the daring thing the Russos' are going to pull off is that the original Avengers are the ones to survive because *all* of them are the ones to make the ultimate sacrifice to bring the others back, in an echo of the Guardians of the Galaxy collectively wielding the power stone.  That would be something.

Of course with sequels coming Spiderman isn't going to perma-die and it is unlikely that Black Panther will die.  But given that the basic story of Avengers 3 and 4 were laid out before everyone knew Black Panther was going to be a mega hit and given that there are ways to go to continue the Black Panther movies without T'Challa (Shuri, perhaps) I wouldn't bet my life savings on it.  There's just enough *tiny* uncertainty to make it interesting for me.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
The Power Stone was probably a reasonable guess based on the events of GotG Vol1.

Thanos might not have known that Loki had the storn, but since the Asgardians had it last, that's a good place to start.

As for the Reality Stone, I suspect that nothing goes unnoticed on Knowhere and he just paid/tortured someone for information.

Small spoiler for the plot of Infinity War *and* somewhat bigger one for Thor Ragnarok:
Spoiler for Hidden:
There's two things to consider regarding the Reality Stone.  The obvious thing is that the Collector had a bounty out on the artifact we now know contained an infinity stone in Guardians 1.  So he's an obvious person to investigate if you were looking for infinity stones.

Here's the less obvious thing to consider.  We know at least two Asgardians knew the location of the Reality stone: Sif and Volstagg.  Volstagg is killed in Thor Ragnarok.  But no one knows what happened to Sif in-universe.  We don't see her, but it is possible Thanos extracts the location of the Reality stone from Sif off-screen.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2018, 09:52:02 PM »
If we're only judging the narrative by what's in the movie (or series of movies):

Spoiler for Hidden:
There's nothing to indicate Fury's message/plan/whatever will change anything.  Especially when there's no indication that he knows specifically what's going on.  Without meta-knowledge it's a call out to an unknown entity who just might be dead, and who certainly has no indication that they could possibly deal with a cosmic level threat that's balked gods, monsters, superheroes, and ultra-wizards.  It doesn't raise hope (or challenge Thanos' victory), it just raises further questions.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2018, 10:22:28 PM »
If we're only judging the narrative by what's in the movie (or series of movies):

Spoiler for Hidden:
There's nothing to indicate Fury's message/plan/whatever will change anything.  Especially when there's no indication that he knows specifically what's going on.  Without meta-knowledge it's a call out to an unknown entity who just might be dead, and who certainly has no indication that they could possibly deal with a cosmic level threat that's balked gods, monsters, superheroes, and ultra-wizards.  It doesn't raise hope (or challenge Thanos' victory), it just raises further questions.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It doesn't have to spell out in what way Fury's message will change anything.  It says this story isn't over.  And while I'm judging the story primarily from the events within the story, I'm still judging it as a story and not a found footage film.  When the story presents such a scene to me - or to anyone - it signals a continuation of the story in a significant way, because we're primed to believe that when a story teller tells us something, it isn't an unimportant insignificant detail to the overall story.  Hitchcock doesn't have to promise an explosion when he shows the bomb.  We know that when Hitchcock shows us a bomb its because Hitchcock intends to have something happen next involving the bomb.

It does raise questions, but that's the point.  It ends the movie with people asking questions about whether this will be important, and if so in what way.  As opposed to ending the movie where the last thing we see is the (apparent) bittersweet happy ending for Thanos.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
I don't see how there can be any such thing as an interesting story.

If you add in a mysterious compulsion to watch anyway you'd have me down to a T :D

Spoiler for Hidden:
BTW re MCU vs comics universe - anyone else wish we'd gotten a Collector who was more in line with the comics than just a Benicio cameo vehicle? A fight between him and Thanos where he's using the Tactigon (weapon that automatically counters its opponent), a whole arsenal of other crazy weapons and gadgets and letting out any number of ridiculous beasts would have been a lot more fun than just seeing the after effects of what looked to be a very one-sided affair.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:51:25 PM by Vee »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2018, 02:09:08 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
It says this story isn't over.

I think I can say without spoilers that even without the after credits scene no sensible person familiar with the movies would've thought that it was.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2018, 03:35:17 AM »
I like this idea alot - Strange seems the most apt choice for my money.

The lead up is gonna be a hell of a ride!

Btw, has anyone else heard the rumours Hugh Jackman was seen on the Avengers set??

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2018, 03:45:34 AM »
I believe I heard something about those rumours yesterday. Around 7:16:29 pm-ish.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2018, 03:55:04 AM »
I think I can say without spoilers that even without the after credits scene no sensible person familiar with the movies would've thought that it was.

Well yes and no.  Many people said they were emotionally affected by the ending, because many people process stories as they are presented without analyzing them in their heads in real time.  You might "know" that Avengers 4 is coming, but that doesn't mean that knowledge colors everyone's experience of watching the movie.  Being shown something or told something is different than knowing.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2018, 03:58:21 AM »
I believe I heard something about those rumours yesterday. Around 7:16:29 pm-ish.

I first heard those rumors on 4/1.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2018, 06:03:02 AM »
Well yes and no.  Many people said they were emotionally affected by the ending, because many people process stories as they are presented without analyzing them in their heads in real time.  You might "know" that Avengers 4 is coming, but that doesn't mean that knowledge colors everyone's experience of watching the movie.  Being shown something or told something is different than knowing.

The credits were so long that by the time the requisite after credit scene appeared the processing of the movie's story should've been well over.  I'm not arguing that the ending wasn't emotional even knowing that there's inevitably more to come, just that the after credits scene didn't change that one way or the other (in my opinion, it would be a shame if it did).  Nor have any of them really impacted their preceding story. 

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2018, 06:21:56 AM »
How can you be so heartless as to consider a movie emotionally processed before you even know who catered it and what record company did the soundtrack?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2018, 06:45:59 AM »

Minor spoiler:
Spoiler for Hidden:
In the comics, Thanos worships Mistress Death, but in the Thanos Quest / Infinity Gauntlet story line Thanos is not an indiscriminate killer - he is actually working for Death itself.  Death resurrected Thanos specifically to accomplish a task, which Thanos himself has interpreted as bringing balance to the universe by culling the population so that life doesn't completely choke itself of all resources and dies.  If everything overpopulates itself to death, then no more things can die.  Death doesn't want everything to die, Death wants continuous death.  That can only happen if life continues to exist.

In that respect, MCU Thanos has the same motivation as comic book Thanos.  It is just that MCU Thanos reaches this conclusion on his own after he witnesses the fate of his home world while comic book Thanos is given this mission by Mistress Death.  Death chooses Thanos to carry out this mission specifically because he likes Death and destruction, but his goal is supposed to be not that of a lunatic killer.  He believes he is serving a cosmic purpose.

This got me rereading Infinity Gauntlet.  Because it didn't match up with the love stricken doof I remembered.  I present Thanos' self-proclaimed cosmic purpose, spoken to Death about why he collected the Infinity Gems:

"But I only sought such glory to become worthy of your love.  Your heart deserves better than the thrall I was."

This is in amongst some hilarious why-won't-you-notice-me-sempai type dialogue as Thanos begs, pleads, threatens, blows up a minion, and otherwise tries to get Death to love him.  What a maroon.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
I watched it today and Absolutely loved it.

Thanos and his Motivation

Spoiler for Hidden:
I will be fine with his motivation as a Genocidal Cosmic Environmental Terrorist, but I hope they pull the "In love with Death" motivation too, just to screw with people. I loved his Portrayal through the entire movie, and his fight in Titan was absolutely amazing, That is how I always imagined an Archvillian fight in City of Heroes actually played out.

I will say his plan makes almost no sense, in that it will kill -far- more than half the population of the universe since like he is going to murder people in places of importance.

Thor

Spoiler for Hidden:
I Loved Thor in this, I love that it was him that pulled Groot out of being a spoiled brat, and I love him calling Racoon a Rabbit, him getting a new weapon makes sense and it opens for Beta Ray Bill once Helmsworth gets finished with being Thor.

The only thing they missed, was having the Stinger they used in Ragnarok when he came in at the end, The biggest complaint I have about the MCU is the lack of great music and they hit the exact song they should be using for when The God of Thunder shows up in full glory.

Iron Man

Spoiler for Hidden:
Poor Tony, he lost Pepper again..I bet 100% Pepper is one of the people Thanos dusted.

Star Lord

Spoiler for Hidden:
Did they REALLY need to make him screw up the final Fight on Titan? was that really needed, how about instead of having a hero act like a twat (understandably but still) how about you have that SOUL STONE that Thanos just got save him instead of it being a plot trinket that was overall pointless which leads me into

The Soul Stone

Spoiler for Hidden:
Did this thing need to exist? I mean I loved that Red Skull got to show up again but they could have cut this part out, as the Soul Stone did absolutely nothing, Thanos didn't even use it in combat, I am 100% convinced that they are going to use it as a get out of jail free card for the Heroes at this point.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
This got me rereading Infinity Gauntlet.  Because it didn't match up with the love stricken doof I remembered.  I present Thanos' self-proclaimed cosmic purpose, spoken to Death about why he collected the Infinity Gems:

"But I only sought such glory to become worthy of your love.  Your heart deserves better than the thrall I was."

This is in amongst some hilarious why-won't-you-notice-me-sempai type dialogue as Thanos begs, pleads, threatens, blows up a minion, and otherwise tries to get Death to love him.  What a maroon.

The issues to read are the prelude to Infinity Gauntlet, especially Silver Surfer 34-38.  They are collected in the Silver Surfer: Rebirth Of Thanos trade paperback.  From Silver Surfer 35:

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
The credits were so long that by the time the requisite after credit scene appeared the processing of the movie's story should've been well over.  I'm not arguing that the ending wasn't emotional even knowing that there's inevitably more to come, just that the after credits scene didn't change that one way or the other (in my opinion, it would be a shame if it did).  Nor have any of them really impacted their preceding story.

I'm not specifically arguing what should happen either.  I'm stating as a fact how many people did in fact process the ending and/or described how the stinger affects the ending.  I can't make promises about how anyone will definitely do so.  I'm making a recommendation about the stinger based on how a large number of people actually viewed the stinger and the ending.  I'm by far not the only person making this particular observation.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2018, 09:55:54 PM »
Thanos and his Motivation

Spoiler for Hidden:
I will be fine with his motivation as a Genocidal Cosmic Environmental Terrorist, but I hope they pull the "In love with Death" motivation too, just to screw with people. I loved his Portrayal through the entire movie, and his fight in Titan was absolutely amazing, That is how I always imagined an Archvillian fight in City of Heroes actually played out.

I will say his plan makes almost no sense, in that it will kill -far- more than half the population of the universe since like he is going to murder people in places of importance.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I don't believe Thanos' plan specifically requires the number of entities destroyed to be precisely fifty percent.  I don't believe Thanos' plan is to simply decimate the population so there's less mouths to feed.  I believe Thanos' plan is to *show* the universe just how much better life is when there are less mouths to feed, so that they can see just how right he was, and then it will be easier to implement population and resource controls.

It is not a totally absurd plan.  Here on Earth, there is a trend that countries with high population rates tend to also have lower economic growth: it is a vicious circle of needing more people to have enough workers to subsist and outrace a higher death rate.  When population growth slows and families have fewer children and concentrate their resources on feeding and educating fewer children, standards of living tend to rise and that tends to incentivize having fewer children.  Shifting from a high population growth subsistence path to a low population growth higher standard of living path requires a cultural change and it is probably the change Thanos wants to effect in the universe by showing what the alternative is.  I'm not saying that plan will work, but I believe Thanos is trying to make a more fundamental change to how people think.  And remember, he believes he is right, so he probably believes he can convince others.  As proof, he states that after he culled the population of Gamora's home world it became a utopia because of abundance.

Star Lord

Spoiler for Hidden:
Did they REALLY need to make him screw up the final Fight on Titan? was that really needed, how about instead of having a hero act like a twat (understandably but still) how about you have that SOUL STONE that Thanos just got save him instead of it being a plot trinket that was overall pointless which leads me into

Spoiler for Hidden:
There are three thoughts here.  One: Starlord is an idiot.  Two: Starlord is actually in on Strange's plan, but we the audience don't know that yet.  Three: 99.99999% of the time Starlord does not do that stupid thing, but Dr. Strange needed that to happen so he made sure to manipulate events to guarantee that circumstances were the one in fourteen million where Starlord goes bananas.  I'm not sure where I fall yet.

The Soul Stone

Spoiler for Hidden:
Did this thing need to exist? I mean I loved that Red Skull got to show up again but they could have cut this part out, as the Soul Stone did absolutely nothing, Thanos didn't even use it in combat, I am 100% convinced that they are going to use it as a get out of jail free card for the Heroes at this point.

Spoiler for Hidden:
We don't know the Soul Stone did absolutely nothing.  Each stone offers some control over an aspect of reality individually, but they also combine in power collectively.  Vision uses the mind stone to project force beams, for example, which have nothing to do with minds.  The presumption is that it is the wielding of all of them in combination that allows the wielder to have full control over the whole of the universe.  Thanos also doesn't specifically do anything with the mind stone in combat either.  He takes it from Vision to complete the Gauntlet.

Because there is a "mind" stone and a "soul" stone that establishes that in the MCU there's a difference between mind and soul.  To cause half the universe' entities to be wiped out of existence, it is entirely possible that Thanos needed control over both minds and souls to do that.  But it is also possible that to affect universe-spanning changes you simply need all the stones to work together, regardless of which aspect of the universe each stone focuses on.

As to the soul stone being a get out of jail free card, I don't think that's the case.  Infinity War establishes that the one thing you don't get to do is use the Soul Stone for free.

There's a backstory to the stones that hasn't appeared in the movies yet and has only been hinted at, but has shown up in some background material.  Supposedly the infinity stones were created by actual cosmic entities at the time of creation: Eternity, Infinity, Entropy, and Death. This may not be 100% canon as it appears in the Art of the Guardians of the Galaxy book, but if the stones were created by the cosmic entities then it is possible that the Soul Stone was created as a kind of deliberate key to unlocking the other stones.  In effect, it prevents lesser beings from wielding the full set for lesser purposes because it requires someone that actually genuinely loves something and yet willing to give it up for a greater purpose.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2018, 12:02:46 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
There are three thoughts here.  One: Starlord is an idiot.  Two: Starlord is actually in on Strange's plan, but we the audience don't know that yet.  Three: 99.99999% of the time Starlord does not do that stupid thing, but Dr. Strange needed that to happen so he made sure to manipulate events to guarantee that circumstances were the one in fourteen million where Starlord goes bananas.  I'm not sure where I fall yet.

I disagree with you Arcana. What Star Lord did was human. Also, remember in Civil War when Tony Stark found out Bucky killed is parents? He tried to kill him. That was very emotional and it's also hypocritical of Tony telling him that. Imagine if you found out I killed one of your loved ones you will do the same thing to me. I don't blame Star Lord at all in my opinion.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2018, 12:45:52 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
I also didn't like the Soul Gem's "payment." It should be that you sacrifice your own soul. Killing someone else isn't a sacrifice on your part.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I don't know, I have a sneaking suspicion that the situation with the Soul Stone may be a bit more complicated than it seems at first.

My pet theory is that Gamora is the Soul Stone -- or rather her soul became it after being sacrificed. The flash of young Gamora talking to Thanos the instant he activates all the stones plays into that. Notice that up to that point, while he activated the other gems individually to deal with different situations, he avoided using the Soul Stone entirely.

It's quite possible that he simply doesn't understand its power, but it would be an interesting twist if the 'cost' is something that is invoked every time the stone is used rather than a one-time payment.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2018, 02:22:43 AM »
The issues to read are the prelude to Infinity Gauntlet, especially Silver Surfer 34-38.  They are collected in the Silver Surfer: Rebirth Of Thanos trade paperback.  From Silver Surfer 35:

I believe that's recapped in the opening narration of Infinity Gauntlet and seems to describe Death's motivation for reviving Thanos and not, as we discover, Thanos' actual motivation.  Indeed, killing half the universe is something he ends up doing as an afterthought to keep his vow in another attempt to win Death's affection - it's not even nearly the first thing he does.
 He's far less relatable/sympathetic to me in the comics, and far more just hilariously awful. 'Why won't you love me/speak to me/smile for me?!'  So hilariously awful.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2018, 03:32:25 AM »
one moment futzing with tags

Spoiler for Hidden:
I don't believe Thanos' plan specifically requires the number of entities destroyed to be precisely fifty percent.  I don't believe Thanos' plan is to simply decimate the population so there's less mouths to feed.  I believe Thanos' plan is to *show* the universe just how much better life is when there are less mouths to feed, so that they can see just how right he was, and then it will be easier to implement population and resource controls.

It is not a totally absurd plan.  Here on Earth, there is a trend that countries with high population rates tend to also have lower economic growth: it is a vicious circle of needing more people to have enough workers to subsist and outrace a higher death rate.  When population growth slows and families have fewer children and concentrate their resources on feeding and educating fewer children, standards of living tend to rise and that tends to incentivize having fewer children.  Shifting from a high population growth subsistence path to a low population growth higher standard of living path requires a cultural change and it is probably the change Thanos wants to effect in the universe by showing what the alternative is.  I'm not saying that plan will work, but I believe Thanos is trying to make a more fundamental change to how people think.  And remember, he believes he is right, so he probably believes he can convince others.  As proof, he states that after he culled the population of Gamora's home world it became a utopia because of abundance.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The problem is, the way Thanos does things isn't through cultural change, not long term sorts, slaughtering/vanishing 50% of a planets population will have in terms of politics, leadership, wars breaking out, civilizations collapsing, he can believe he is right all he wants, the plan is still derp simply because of unintended consequences of just poofing people mid important tasks. "I will leave half of everyone alive minus all the people who die as a result of me poofing randomly.

His plan would likely work short term on any of the Medival societies there are in the universe, but any for lack of a better term "western" society his plan likely would lead to the large majority of the remaining population dying off from starvation because the means of food production/packaging and transportation fall apart. I honestly don't trust Thanos when he says that Gamora's home became a utopia, as her rap sheet said that she was the last of her kind, and Thanos seems to be the sort that would just assume his plan worked without actually checking in on things.

Spoiler for Hidden:

Spoiler for Hidden:
Eh the scene itself was easier resolved just by Thanos breaking out through brute force, the second one doesn't absolve Star Lord of responsibility, and the third is very unlikely. I just hated that they felt the need to make one of their main characters look absolutely absurd.

Spoiler for Hidden:
We don't know the Soul Stone did absolutely nothing.  Each stone offers some control over an aspect of reality individually, but they also combine in power collectively.  Vision uses the mind stone to project force beams, for example, which have nothing to do with minds.  The presumption is that it is the wielding of all of them in combination that allows the wielder to have full control over the whole of the universe.  Thanos also doesn't specifically do anything with the mind stone in combat either.  He takes it from Vision to complete the Gauntlet.

Because there is a "mind" stone and a "soul" stone that establishes that in the MCU there's a difference between mind and soul.  To cause half the universe' entities to be wiped out of existence, it is entirely possible that Thanos needed control over both minds and souls to do that.  But it is also possible that to affect universe-spanning changes you simply need all the stones to work together, regardless of which aspect of the universe each stone focuses on.

As to the soul stone being a get out of jail free card, I don't think that's the case.  Infinity War establishes that the one thing you don't get to do is use the Soul Stone for free.

There's a backstory to the stones that hasn't appeared in the movies yet and has only been hinted at, but has shown up in some background material.  Supposedly the infinity stones were created by actual cosmic entities at the time of creation: Eternity, Infinity, Entropy, and Death. This may not be 100% canon as it appears in the Art of the Guardians of the Galaxy book, but if the stones were created by the cosmic entities then it is possible that the Soul Stone was created as a kind of deliberate key to unlocking the other stones.  In effect, it prevents lesser beings from wielding the full set for lesser purposes because it requires someone that actually genuinely loves something and yet willing to give it up for a greater purpose.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The problem I have is that, Thanos didn't use the Soul Stone in combat, in all the fights as he was using the Stones they would glow, we know he wasn't using the Soul Stone except once because it never glowed as he was infinity geming, and of course he wouldn't use the Mind Gem..he didn't get it till last :P

I disagree with you Arcana. What Star Lord did was human. Also, remember in Civil War when Tony Stark found out Bucky killed is parents? He tried to kill him. That was very emotional and it's also hypocritical of Tony telling him that. Imagine if you found out I killed one of your loved ones you will do the same thing to me. I don't blame Star Lord at all in my opinion.

My problem is less with Star Lord specifically, but the felt that the writing team felt the need to have a situation at all where Quill f***ed the universe, I understand the actions of the character in that situation..but they should never have had that situation in the first place as it exists ONLY to make Quill look terrible.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:31:21 PM by eabrace »

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2018, 12:10:04 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
The meme potential, people.  The meme potential.

-- Shot of Quill flipping off Thanos then disappearing through Strange's portal.  GIFs must be made.
-- Image Macro ideas are going off in my mind now.
     -- Thanos Pianos!  Clearance Sale 50% Off-- oooh, too soon?
     -- "No Thanos, you had enough time with the Lite Brite."  Cut to a shot of Thanos grinning with all six gems in place.
     -- Four year old with Hulk Gloves!  Thanos grinning... "Keep it."

Maybe I didn't get out of the movie what others did.  ???
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2018, 12:36:50 AM »
Have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat this one

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2018, 10:31:33 PM »

Iron Man was lashing out angrily, but he wasn't trying to kill Rogers, or for that matter probably not Bucky either, in Civil War.  He wasn't unleashing anywhere near the full lethal abilities of the Iron Man suit at the time.  He could have literally vaporized both of them.  We've seen him unleash firepower far in excess of what he was using on both of them. 

As to Starlord's actions, this is spoiler territory:

Spoiler for Hidden:
People arguing that Starlord reacted as anyone else would are literally wrong.  People confront other people who have murdered their loved ones all the time in the real world, and irrationally attacking them is not common.  That would be comparable to a murder victim's survivor jumping over the rail and attacking the murderer of their loved ones in court, or shooting them dead as they walked into the court room.  That is so rare of an occurrence so as to be noteworthy when it happens.  And the entire universe is not on the line in those cases.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »
I don't know, I have a sneaking suspicion that the situation with the Soul Stone may be a bit more complicated than it seems at first.

I'm going to extract this one sentence from the spoiler tags because its not really spoilerish on its own.  I'm pretty sure everything about the Infinity Stones is more complicated than it seems on the surface.  We are talking about objects with potentially unlimited power but clearly depicted to have limits that depend on circumstance and wielder.  In A3 Thanos has one goal, so we don't have to think about what the limits of the Infinity Stones are.  But in A4 I'm pretty sure we the audience will need to know what those limits are or the characters will have to learn what they are in order to tell a narratively interesting story.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2018, 11:33:19 PM »
Not really a spoiler, but...

Spoiler for Hidden:

Less of a spoiler than the "I don't feel so good" one.

"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2018, 12:00:15 AM »
I had another thought about the Infinity Stones that may be relevant to Avengers 4.

Spoilers for A3:

Spoiler for Hidden:
Technically speaking although everyone talks about Thanos wielding the Infinity Stones it occurs to me that he didn't actually wield the Infinity Stones.  He wielded the Infinity Gauntlet which uses them.  It is established in the MCU that Infinity Stones are almost impossible to wield directly and will destroy lesser beings, but they can be placed into artifacts that allow the wielder of the artifact to wield *some* of their power.  The Eye of Agamotto is one such artifact.  Ronan placed the power stone in his weapon to wield it, and the Celestial in the Collector's records wielded an infinity stone in another weapon.  Thanos has the gauntlet created by Eitri the dwarf craftsman, who created Stormbreaker and I think Mjolnir as well.

It is a little weird that Stormbreaker seems capable of resisting the infinity stones at the end of Infinity War, but in retrospect that might actually make sense.  Stormbreaker isn't resisting the infinity stones, it is resisting the power of the Infinity Gauntlet.  The Infinity Stones might have unlimited power, but the Infinity Gauntlet might have lower limits to its ability to harness that power.

The Infinity Gauntlet appears to be destroyed by Thanos when he unleashes the power of the Infinity Stones to eliminate half the population of the universe.  I have a feeling that this difference between what the Infinity Stones can do and what the limits of a weapon powered by the stones can do will become important in Avengers 4.  And I'm wondering now if prior statements by Kevin Feige that Captain Marvel is the "most powerful" superhero they've ever written into the MCU has something to do with her ability to control Infinity Stones.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2018, 04:12:45 AM »
Iron Man was lashing out angrily, but he wasn't trying to kill Rogers, or for that matter probably not Bucky either, in Civil War.  He wasn't unleashing anywhere near the full lethal abilities of the Iron Man suit at the time.  He could have literally vaporized both of them.  We've seen him unleash firepower far in excess of what he was using on both of them. 

As to Starlord's actions, this is spoiler territory:

Spoiler for Hidden:
People arguing that Starlord reacted as anyone else would are literally wrong.  People confront other people who have murdered their loved ones all the time in the real world, and irrationally attacking them is not common.  That would be comparable to a murder victim's survivor jumping over the rail and attacking the murderer of their loved ones in court, or shooting them dead as they walked into the court room.  That is so rare of an occurrence so as to be noteworthy when it happens.  And the entire universe is not on the line in those cases.

I'm not buying it. We clearly saw he was trying to kill Bucky. He even took out his arm for crying out loud. They're called "Avengers" for a reason. Also, it does happen often in real life. Not where I come from. For example, [I'm kinda getting off topic] when the USA women's gymnastics doctor was charged for sexual abuse the father of one of the athletes irrationally attacked him in court. A police officer killed an unarmed civilian and a person randomly killed a police officer in retaliation. What I'm trying to say is it depends on the person. Some people are emotional, some are not.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:41:58 AM by Dev7on »

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2018, 06:46:24 AM »
You said it - the arm - if Tony had really wanted to hurt Bucky he could have, but by choosing to take out his arm it's clear he only meant to neutralize the threat.

Rogers had other ideas though...

It's Tony that's lucky to be alive, cause Steve went straight for the thing that could quite easily have killed him!!

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
You said it - the arm - if Tony had really wanted to hurt Bucky he could have, but by choosing to take out his arm it's clear he only meant to neutralize the threat.

Rogers had other ideas though...

It's Tony that's lucky to be alive, cause Steve went straight for the thing that could quite easily have killed him!!

Oh yeah? Then why Tony was using tank missiles earlier in the fight? If those missiles would've hit Bucky that will kill him. I'm still not convinced guys.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:31:45 PM by Dev7on »

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2018, 04:53:56 PM »
I'm not buying it. We clearly saw he was trying to kill Bucky. He even took out his arm for crying out loud.
Tony didn't take out Bucky's arm via some strategy or tactic. He did it to keep Bucky from ripping out the Arc reactor.  That the arm was destroyed was a side effect.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »
Then, explain the missiles. Why was Tony using missiles against Bucky? That's lethal enough.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2018, 09:15:12 PM »
Then, explain the missiles. Why was Tony using missiles against Bucky? That's lethal enough.

Explain why he didn't use the kind of missiles that actually explode with enough force to kill everyone within a wide radius when they detonate, as opposed to the kind that I can dodge by jumping behind a car door.  Explain why he didn't use the full force of the arc reactor at any other point in the fight, when it could have easily vaporized a hole right through Bucky.

The Avengers were using lethal weaponry in Civil War also, but it is also clear they are not using their full capabilities.  That stuff is lethal in theory, but they all know it isn't likely to be lethal against each other due to their capabilities.

If you want to argue that Tony was using lethal weaponry against both Bucky and Cap, sure, that's literally true.  But if you want to argue he was actually trying to kill them, you have to explain why he wasn't trying even 10% as hard as he could have, and using weaponry he has repeatedly demonstrated his Iron Man suits are packing for when he really wants to eliminate a threat.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2018, 09:37:22 PM »
Explain why he didn't use the kind of missiles that actually explode with enough force to kill everyone within a wide radius when they detonate, as opposed to the kind that I can dodge by jumping behind a car door.  Explain why he didn't use the full force of the arc reactor at any other point in the fight, when it could have easily vaporized a hole right through Bucky.

The Avengers were using lethal weaponry in Civil War also, but it is also clear they are not using their full capabilities.  That stuff is lethal in theory, but they all know it isn't likely to be lethal against each other due to their capabilities.

If you want to argue that Tony was using lethal weaponry against both Bucky and Cap, sure, that's literally true.  But if you want to argue he was actually trying to kill them, you have to explain why he wasn't trying even 10% as hard as he could have, and using weaponry he has repeatedly demonstrated his Iron Man suits are packing for when he really wants to eliminate a threat.

What I always found funny in Civil War is guys like Tony and Rhoadie and Vision are all for keeping super heroes and their powers in check - yet the fight at the airport that they basically start destroyed a whole bunch of people's cars, quite a few airplanes - Vision heat visioned that tower to collapse trying to stop Cap and Bucky and almost killed Rhoadie.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2018, 11:09:34 PM »

I didn't say Tony was trying to kill both Cap and Bucky. He specifically was after Bucky. Captain America was just in his way. He didn't really wanted to hurt Rogers. During the fight you saw Iron Man temporarily immobilized Captain America. Then, he tried blocking him and, on the last moment he said "Stand down. Final warning" to Steve. That's why he held back a little.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:40:30 PM by Dev7on »

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2018, 12:13:40 AM »
I didn't say Tony was trying to kill both Cap and Bucky. He specifically was after Bucky. Captain America was just in his way. He didn't really wanted to hurt Rogers. During the fight you saw Iron Man temporarily immobilized Captain America. Then, he tried blocking him and, on the last moment he said "Stand down. Final warning" to Steve. That's why he held back a little.

Well you know - When Captain America throws his mighty shield. All those who chose to oppose his shield must yield.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2018, 03:53:48 AM »
What I always found funny in Civil War is guys like Tony and Rhoadie and Vision are all for keeping super heroes and their powers in check - yet the fight at the airport that they basically start destroyed a whole bunch of people's cars, quite a few airplanes - Vision heat visioned that tower to collapse trying to stop Cap and Bucky and almost killed Rhoadie.

I've worked in security for over twenty one years.  I've lost count of the number of times I've broken the literal letter of the law to protect people from other people who are breaking the law.  It just doesn't involve blowing up airports, so far.  But I can't argue with the notion that a lot of my career has an element of hypocrisy to it.  Nevertheless, there are many things I've done over the years that I would not allow anyone else to do if I had any say.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2018, 11:27:02 AM »
I've worked in security for over twenty one years.  I've lost count of the number of times I've broken the literal letter of the law to protect people from other people who are breaking the law.  It just doesn't involve blowing up airports, so far.  But I can't argue with the notion that a lot of my career has an element of hypocrisy to it.  Nevertheless, there are many things I've done over the years that I would not allow anyone else to do if I had any say.

That was kind of the point I was making. Even if they all signed and obeyed the accords they would probably still be causing mayhem and destruction stopping bad guys, except I guess they would be legally protected by the UN, if they sent them in.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2018, 08:07:18 PM »
That was kind of the point I was making. Even if they all signed and obeyed the accords they would probably still be causing mayhem and destruction stopping bad guys, except I guess they would be legally protected by the UN, if they sent them in.

That's the reality of it.  Battles between super-humans would be massively destructive.   In the very short run, it would make way more sense to just pay super-villains a 7, 8, or 9 figure salary just to save the expense of constant rebuilding.

Youbseep

• Underling
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
 8)all i want to say is that this movie is so god thumbs up

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2018, 01:20:42 PM »
That's the reality of it.  Battles between super-humans would be massively destructive.   In the very short run, it would make way more sense to just pay super-villains a 7, 8, or 9 figure salary just to save the expense of constant rebuilding.

WooHoo!  Thanks for the new business model. 

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2018, 06:12:43 PM »
You're welcome.

Marine X

• Minion
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2018, 04:52:56 PM »
When it's too tough for everyone else,
It's just right for me.......
( unless it's cold, or raining , or dirty,
 or there are Sappers, man I Hate those Guys )
                                                                   Marine X

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2018, 05:14:34 PM »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »
Huge spoiler for Infinity War AND Ant Man and the Wasp.  If you haven't seen either movie: recommend skipping until you do.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Just saw Ant Man and the Wasp yesterday.  I now know what Dr. Strange saw in the future.  Everyone has been speculating about why Strange gave up the stone and the most popular running guess is that it was obviously to save Tony, who was being killed by Thanos.  Tony is important to the future, so Tony had to be saved.  I've never bought that idea, because its nonsensical.  There are literally hundreds of ways for Strange to save Tony from being killed, starting with the most obvious way which was to simply teleport him away from the fight.

I think the reason why Strange saw only one future in which they win, out of the millions of other futures in which they lose, is because to eventually beat Thanos they have to fight him AND lose AND lose at EXACTLY THE RIGHT MOMENT.  Strange knew that the only way they win is if they lose and he gives up the stone at exactly the moment he does.  If he gives up the stone earlier, or if they fight Thanos and even beat him and Thanos eventually gets the stone later, they ultimately lose.  But if events unfold in exactly the way we saw, Thanos arrives on Earth at exactly the right moment for him to face Thor, almost get killed by Thor, and create the snapture at the precise moment when Scott Lang is in the quantum realm.  If the fight on Titan was any shorter Thanos would arrive on Earth earlier and the snapture would happen before Scott entered the quantum realm, and any later and he would have exited the realm.  But this is the only future in which he is trapped there, and that was the critical thing that was required for Strange's winning vision to come to pass.

It seems obvious to me, but it didn't seem obvious to my friends when I mentioned the idea, so here it is.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2018, 02:02:26 PM »
Huge spoiler for Infinity War AND Ant Man and the Wasp.  If you haven't seen either movie: recommend skipping until you do.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Just saw Ant Man and the Wasp yesterday.  I now know what Dr. Strange saw in the future.  Everyone has been speculating about why Strange gave up the stone and the most popular running guess is that it was obviously to save Tony, who was being killed by Thanos.  Tony is important to the future, so Tony had to be saved.  I've never bought that idea, because its nonsensical.  There are literally hundreds of ways for Strange to save Tony from being killed, starting with the most obvious way which was to simply teleport him away from the fight.

I think the reason why Strange saw only one future in which they win, out of the millions of other futures in which they lose, is because to eventually beat Thanos they have to fight him AND lose AND lose at EXACTLY THE RIGHT MOMENT.  Strange knew that the only way they win is if they lose and he gives up the stone at exactly the moment he does.  If he gives up the stone earlier, or if they fight Thanos and even beat him and Thanos eventually gets the stone later, they ultimately lose.  But if events unfold in exactly the way we saw, Thanos arrives on Earth at exactly the right moment for him to face Thor, almost get killed by Thor, and create the snapture at the precise moment when Scott Lang is in the quantum realm.  If the fight on Titan was any shorter Thanos would arrive on Earth earlier and the snapture would happen before Scott entered the quantum realm, and any later and he would have exited the realm.  But this is the only future in which he is trapped there, and that was the critical thing that was required for Strange's winning vision to come to pass.

It seems obvious to me, but it didn't seem obvious to my friends when I mentioned the idea, so here it is.

I thought it was rather obvious. Strange must have seen the only way to win the war was to lose the battle.

He didn't react to anything until Thanos was going to kill Tony. He probably also foresaw who would still be around after they lost.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2018, 07:02:48 AM »
So watching the DVD with subtitles, the muffled distress call gave out the name of Thor's Ship.

Statesman.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:53:19 AM by ryuplaneswalker »

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2018, 05:56:50 PM »
Nice coincidence, but don't get any ideas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statesman_(automobile)

Other ships from Ragnarok were named after other Holden cars, like Torana.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2018, 07:18:23 AM »
Aww that is real sad.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2018, 06:38:41 AM »

Spoiler for Hidden:

Another theory I have is even if Dr. Strange teleport Tony away from Thanos. Thanos will eventually kill Tony if he doesn't gets what he wants. After watching the movie 3 more times the battle on Titan reminds of the Magisterium Trial when we fight Tyrant at the last phase. When Thanos threw the moon it got me thinking when Tyrant does his Zeus Lightning Bolt "Air Crackles"  and the leader of the league yells RUN!!!!!!