Author Topic: Problems loading characters  (Read 2544 times)

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Problems loading characters
« on: April 30, 2018, 02:09:14 AM »
I signed on for the first time in a while yesterday for the 14th anniversary party and had enormous trouble getting characters to load into Atlas Park.  The zone screen would show and the bar would progress about 3/4 of the way then stall for a few minutes slowly creeping forward until it finally would pop me back to the logon screen for Chat. 

I successfully loaded two characters at different times during the party before 7pm then tried to load a different character and from about 8pm on I wasn't able to get any character to load.  I tried a character who loads into Steel Canyon and couldn't get that zone to load.

Today, figuring this was probably a server busy issue, I've tried loading characters and still can't get any Atlas Park characters to load -- the same thing is happening.  I successfully loaded a character who's in the Chalet in Pocket D this evening but none of my AP characters can load -- I loaded a different character to pocket D yesterday and tried to teleport to AP but had the same problem and then couldn't get him to load.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Re: Problems loading characters
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
I heard on FB the next day from another player who had the same problem Saturday night during the COH Anniversary Celebration event.  I'm told AP doesn't have a zone cap - any idea what could have caused this?

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 07:59:18 PM »
I've had occasional trouble on other MMOs with particular zones when their files would become corrupted. In these situations, I've had to delete the offending zone file and repatch.

It's never happened to me with CoH though. Everything's packed into piggs, so I wouldn't know where to begin, except reinstalling.

If you reinstall, be sure to backup your database to save all those wonderful characters and their info.

I imagine that it is, but is AP still unreachable in Offline Mode?
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 02:33:44 AM »
I imagine that it is, but is AP still unreachable in Offline Mode?

On the nose: City of Heroes Client delivers the map, not Paragon Chat.  All Paragon Chat does is issue coordinates across chat when a player moves and the receiving client plots them on that user's map of the same zone at home.

Give MyriVerse's suggestion a try.  Use Offline Mode to load the zones.  If they come up okay offline, the issue isn't with the client.  If they don't, the Issue 24 client might be corrupted and need redownloaded on Tequila.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran