Author Topic: The Death of 32-bit  (Read 18820 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: The Death of 32-bit
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 03:17:46 AM »
Yeah, the Kontiki example.  Or to wit, the movie Master & Commander: The Far Side of The World (GREAT film if you haven't seen it.)  If your ship is critically damaged, you take floatwood and hull parts from damaged ships to repair it, at what point is it a new ship?  According to the British Navy in that movie, the H.M.S. Surprise remained herself throughout, since the captain deemed it so.

Sounds like the Surprise had a couple splinters left over from the ship of Theseus.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
Well, they are phasing-out most of Control Panel, in favor of 'Settings' which does not allow one to really control anything.  One has to drill-down a few layers to actually get at the numbers that control the OS.  So, they are 'taking away control' while telling users that their automatic software will do a better job.  However, the 'automatic' software is less useful than a skilled User, as far as I can tell.  So, 'obfuscation' as in adding layers of software to hide the controls from the user.

This is what happened when Windows ran on top of DOS. A little control went away.

This is what happened when Windows ran instead of DOS. Much more control went away.

Now it seems like someone finally woke up and said "hey, why give them any control at all?".

The Control Panel is about as old as Windows itself and something I personally would not like to see phased out unless they have a superior replacement. Reading things like this make me want to waste my money on Windows 7 and support that 'movement'. It's disturbing, reading stuff like this. Then again.. Windows 95 was pretty unsettling but it ended up being light years beyond anything before it and I'd have never gone back. Along with that loss of control we suffered (and massive change in support) when Windows 95 rolled around, we gained tons of stability and sexiness. Lets hope those kinds of brains are still working for MS.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 02:12:57 AM »
This is what happened when Windows ran on top of DOS. A little control went away.

This is what happened when Windows ran instead of DOS. Much more control went away.

Now it seems like someone finally woke up and said "hey, why give them any control at all?".

The Control Panel is about as old as Windows itself and something I personally would not like to see phased out unless they have a superior replacement. Reading things like this make me want to waste my money on Windows 7 and support that 'movement'. It's disturbing, reading stuff like this. Then again.. Windows 95 was pretty unsettling but it ended up being light years beyond anything before it and I'd have never gone back. Along with that loss of control we suffered (and massive change in support) when Windows 95 rolled around, we gained tons of stability and sexiness. Lets hope those kinds of brains are still working for MS.

In Windows 8, the gist of the operating system was that PC Settings (the predecessor of the Settings Panel of Windows 10) had basic support information and limited controls to affect the computer.  The intent was that Power Users would ignore the app and continue to use Control Panel.  Mainstream users who don't know what settings cause restarts from those that are harmless are left with the Settings panel and relative safety as nothing in the panel would cause your system to fail to start.

So far, that's the aim in Windows 10.  Even Windows 8 had recovery options in the PC Settings panel, but Windows 10 the majority of features removed from the Control Panel are redundant ones that aren't considered 'advanced'.  What's scary is the blurring of lines in some areas: Network & Internet is ceding more ground to Settings, and the method to get a network card to connect to a Static IP even today has two methods that can sit on top of each other and cause you to enter two Gateways for the same card (even if they're given the same address both times.) 

Something that is avoided if IPv4/IPv6 is left to the Control Panel and out of the hands of the Settings app.  If you're in an environment that doesn't offer DHCP to laypeople such as Wi-Fi Guest Networks, or a home router at a friend's place, odds are someone would need to configure your system to connect to their network anyways.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 05:25:44 PM »
I lied, before, by the way... I thought about it right after posting but never got around to correcting it. When Windows ran on top of DOS... it was still pretty much just another program. You could do with it or without it and you still could do whatever you wanted with no lockout to anything in your PC.

Ever since 95 up until now it has  progressively become more like the MCP from Tron. Everything must go through the MCP first and your access to the system can be limited.

Having said that, I was a huge fan of 95 and have a support story for it I like to think about. Was a big fan of Vista when lots of people including techs didn't like it and I like Windows 7 well enough to never switch again.

Yeah, the Kontiki example.  Or to wit, the movie Master & Commander: The Far Side of The World (GREAT film if you haven't seen it.)  If your ship is critically damaged, you take floatwood and hull parts from damaged ships to repair it, at what point is it a new ship?  According to the British Navy in that movie, the H.M.S. Surprise remained herself throughout, since the captain deemed it so.

Yeah, exactly!  I hadn't hardly used any floatwood at all and they were calling my ship new. I think your ship should be the same ship until you no longer float her (especially with that tiny price difference for single copy OEM's). Just like that captain. They get to keep me to one PC, and, they are going to stop supporting whatever sails they sold me at some point anyway... So, let me ship, remain me ship until I no longer float'er, Arrrr!

: )

In Windows 8, the gist of the operating system was that PC Settings (the predecessor of the Settings Panel of Windows 10) had basic support information and limited controls to affect the computer.  The intent was that Power Users would ignore the app and continue to use Control Panel.  Mainstream users who don't know what settings cause restarts from those that are harmless are left with the Settings panel and relative safety as nothing in the panel would cause your system to fail to start.

So far, that's the aim in Windows 10.  Even Windows 8 had recovery options in the PC Settings panel, but Windows 10 the majority of features removed from the Control Panel are redundant ones that aren't considered 'advanced'. 

Sooooo Control Panel still exists? And all the stuff inside it still exists, it just may be in a different or two places?

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 09:02:37 PM »
Sooooo Control Panel still exists? And all the stuff inside it still exists, it just may be in a different or two places?

Except for that exodus part, yes.  For example, since the Creator's Update, you can remove programs from both Settings and Control Panel now.  But the Settings version of "Add/Remove" has some polish needed... so the Control Panel version of the same thing is still present for now.

UWP (Windows 10) Apps don't need that function, to uninstall it, right click the app as an administrator and choose "Uninstall."   Answer yes, and it's gone.  (Or you can do it from Microsoft Store.)  Try the same thing on a standard Windows App, and it sends you to the Programs and Features Control Panel instead.

Eventually, the Settings app will absorb that Control Panel option as well.  What strikes me as silly when they'll get to it: what will happen to Administrative Tools, the Control Panel apps that are so powerful they need another Control Panel?

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 04:52:14 PM »
As long as the options still exist somewhere for me to be able to manage my PC I can put up with finding where they put them.

Except for that exodus part, yes. 

Exodus part?

$110... The cheapest full version I can find is $110.. Windows 10 isn't all that new anymore to be charging $110.

I'm getting SSD drive offers in the (e-)mail for $30...

The pricing on Windows 7 is just .. a ripoff. It's not much different than it is for 10. It's the same, on Newegg - both cost $100 for the OEM and for Windows 7, all they have is OEMs. Unless MS plans on unprecedented support of Windows 7 for the entire life of 10, or, unless they are admitting that 7 is a far superior OS, 7 pricing is a total ripoff.

Some Faves:

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 02:50:30 AM »
"The exodus part" meaning moving settings from Control Panel to the Windows 10 Settings app.

They stopped selling retail copies of Windows 7.  The OEM copies are 'while supplies last', or when Windows 7 security updates stop in 2020, whichever comes first.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 03:28:50 AM »
"The exodus part" meaning moving settings from Control Panel to the Windows 10 Settings app.

Ohhh.

They stopped selling retail copies of Windows 7.

That's right.. I remember you saying that now..

The OEM copies are 'while supplies last', or when Windows 7 security updates stop in 2020, whichever comes first.

And for Full Price! I mean geez, let me cheap out and save $50 for the next year and a half until they get their blood money for Windows 10. Their pricing sucks.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »
Windows 10 Edge....

Is this as easy to get rid of, as it looks, online? Do I just need to install another browser and make it the Default?

My dad is having probs even using his computer right now and on top of it he's got a new one, with, Windows 10, which is new to him (too..). Edge has been giving him fits and he wants to get rid of it but for some reason his friend's had an impossible time walking him through it over the phone.

Also.. Is there still a version of Windows 10 without Edge? He's ready to plunk down another $120 to get another version of Windows 10 that doesn't come with Edge but I can't say as I ever saw one in my recent shopping.

It looks like a simple thing to turn off, to me, I just hope that's what he really wants to get rid of. I remember in this thread being warned to turn of MS Phishing or something similar but I can't scroll down that far atm  : )
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »
For anyone teetering on the brink of ultimate suspense.. Edge seemed simple enough to get rid of as the default browser. Pretty much do what Google says. And, hurray that I can still type a search in at the bottom of the Start button menu. And, that there's a Start button.

It's way more difficult to do if you want to download Chrome to replace it and your Wi-Fi is totally sucking for air, but, that's another story.

Some Faves: