Author Topic: What would you build?  (Read 2631 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-T'Xev-Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: What would you build?
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2019, 12:47:07 AM »
This has been totally educational..

I'm sure glad I totally misread that Microsoft link on End of Life.. I mean.. Things change, and, sometimes radically for the worse and so you have to adapt. I'm glad this isn't one of those times!

Well, hmm. Twice a year for major updates isn't as horrible as it could be. As in: randomly occurring during login, whenever, and often. That, would be bad. Having 18 months before being *required* to install a major update seems totally reasonable.

Now I have to wonder... what kind of data are they pushing out on Regular Updates? As in, if you had to guess, how much data would you guess Microsoft shoves at Windows 10 in a month for Regular Updates?

If Windows 10 actually does turn out to be around 'forever', then, it sure does seem like less sales for Windows over the years.. On the other hand, it would make when you buy Windows irrelevant, which is good for us. I mean, you don't want to be that person that paid full price for a 15 year old OS, 2 years before it reaches End of Life. You want to be the person that bought Windows 15 years ago. Until now.  ?

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller>

Tahquitz

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
    • HERC
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »
Varies.  Most Patch Tuesday releases (1st Tues. Of Each Month) covers zero-day threats, but they tend to be small.  Others including cumulative and monthly roll ups of patches can be as big as 1-2GB.

Where Windows 10  has pros and cons:
-- They have taken away individual control.  When you update, you don't get to pick and choose patches anymore, it's all or nothing.

-- However, if you are on a bandwidth limitation, you can turn Metered Connection to ON in Network Settings.  This ignores patches and updates until you connect to a different Internet Source.  (This has been helpful to me and my Hotspot when my home Internet is down.) The Metered Connection is tied to IP Address, though, so when the IP changes, pay attention.  Most of the time it catches the MAC Address and keeps Metered Connection on.  Sometimes it misses.
Remember when ranting: always vent your spleen.

How Icon and Paragon Chat Works (by Felderburg) | Bored in Paragon Chat? Start something. | Property of Triumph™

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2019, 06:04:04 PM »
The Metered Connection is tied to IP Address, though, so when the IP changes, pay attention.  Most of the time it catches the MAC Address and keeps Metered Connection on.  Sometimes it misses.

I'm not sure what this problem is. It looks like it has something to do with updating Windows from a different Internet source than normal and then when switching back to the normal source and if the IP isn't the same, Windows uses the router MAC address to identify that it's back on the Metered Connection. Sometimes.

I don't have a portable PC or secondary local Internet source, so, I probably won't be doing this anyway. Sounds like a good option if I had a laptop, though. The thumb drive thing you described earlier....could be doable. We do have a local Internet Café that I could visit with a thumb drive for updates every 6-18 months if I had to.

-- They have taken away individual control.  When you update, you don't get to pick and choose patches anymore, it's all or nothing.

Welllll... we doooo still at least get to choose All or Nothing.

Can I choose Nothing...for 6(12/18...) months...and then download a bi-annual Major update and be completely up to date...? Sounds like the way to go if you want to download the least and still never be more than 6 months out of date. I normally would never go 6 months without updating Windows.... but.. it might be nice to have that option.

If major updates will indeed get me up-to-date, then, this is how my update scenario is starting to look...

-Install Windows.. Get hammered with updates..
-Hopefully be up-to-date enough to be able to download the remaining patches for the month..
-Hopefully be able to download the patches for the next month

-When/if hope runs out (there's more update data than I can download..), stop updating until a Major patch hits.

-Major patch hits - go to Internet Café (or just save up enough data at home for the scheduled event) and get caught up.

-Rinse
-Repeat

It's good we can still at least turn updates off! You don't want to be on a metered account and have automatic 2 gig downloads happening..

So you would estimate regular updates to be ~ 1-2 gigs a month? How large did you say the major 6-month updates are? Can I get my Windows completely up-to-date when I install one...?

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller>

Tahquitz

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
    • HERC
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2019, 08:03:28 PM »
Can I choose Nothing...for 6(12/18...) months...and then download a bi-annual Major update and be completely up to date...? Sounds like the way to go if you want to download the least and still never be more than 6 months out of date. I normally would never go 6 months without updating Windows.... but.. it might be nice to have that option.

It's not designed to be turned off, but the 'nothing' (in all or nothing) is going to Services in Administrative Tools (under Control Panel), and changing Windows Update to manual, not automatic.  That's the simplest way, and least destructive; when you do have time at the Cafe, switch the Windows Update service from Manual back to Automatic, and head to Settings, Updates & Security to get back to normal.  Or if it's major update time, skip the Settings app and go for it.  Instead of Downloading the tool to make an ISO or USB, if its the only computer, just click Update Now and run that app.

There's two other ways to stop updates: Group Policy Editor (not advisable on Home systems, as corrupt policies can happen and the best cure is to start the machine over from scratch) and Registry Editor (which is everything sensitive, and not following instructions to the letter can make your software unbootable, which is the same effect as a corrupt Group Policy setting.)  I'd use those ONLY if disabling the Service for Windows Update fails to work.

How Icon and Paragon Chat Works (by Felderburg) | Bored in Paragon Chat? Start something. | Property of Triumph™

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2019, 01:14:40 AM »
It's not designed to be turned off, but the 'nothing' (in all or nothing) is going to Services in Administrative Tools (under Control Panel), and changing Windows Update to manual, not automatic. 

Yeah, I'd probably do that. It's what I do now in Windows 7.

It sounds like the only difference in Windows 10, is, when I do choose to do an update manually - I have to install everything and can't pick and choose - which, I rarely do anyway - I usually download whatever there is to download.

when you do have time at the Cafe, switch the Windows Update service from Manual back to Automatic, and head to Settings, Updates & Security to get back to normal. 

How am I going to do that with my home-not-portable PC at the Internet Café? I was thinking more to do that thumb drive option you mentioned earlier - where I can download the update to a thumb drive and then take the drive home.

Or if it's major update time, skip the Settings app and go for it.  Instead of Downloading the tool to make an ISO or USB, if its the only computer, just click Update Now and run that app.

The link is for a full install of Windows 10? Are you trying to further confusicate me? : )

The reason I was trying to pin down about how much Windows 10 downloads in a month, is, my data limit is about to go way up. I might be able to handle 2-3 gigs a month. a 5-6gig Major Patch might even be doable every 6 months. If it's not, I can decide what I want to do... which probably means hitting up the Café before my build expires so I can get caught up.

Another thing I am thinking, is... why budget for 3 gigs of windows updates in a month.... if I can just wait 6 months and do a Major update and be completely caught up.. I mean.. I think I can live with being 6 months behind if it means I don't have to deal with 'will I have enough data' for 6 months.

Metered accounts (I use Verizon but it's not just them) are finally getting bigger data limits. I started out with 1 gig... luckily I was still playing CoH and I could play a lot of CoH on 1 gig.. Then, luckily, not long after CoH went away and I started playing a more data hungry Champion's online, my data limit went up again - to 5 gig! That was a big day. Now.. I have 25... and Windows 10 looms.

~~~

I don't have 25 gig yet but I'm told that's what's going to be available here very soon.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:22:25 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Tahquitz

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
    • HERC
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2019, 03:49:38 AM »
Yeah, obviously a desktop isn't coming with you.  (Unless you're Aubrey Plaza, then you find a way to make it work.)

The upside: ANY device can get the ISO.  If you don't have a Windows laptop or device (Mac, Linux, Android... Haiku?), the same page just displays a link to get the ISO directly instead of the USB/ISO tool.  From there, get the ISO off the device and run Rufus to make the USB drive.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2019, 03:25:36 PM »
Yeah, obviously a desktop isn't coming with you.  (Unless you're Aubrey Plaza, then you find a way to make it work.)

That poor guy at the end was suffering from logic bomb shell shock.. "Why would they do it, why!!" lol..

Good ol' Windows 95, too.. so classic. When I was a tech in '95 I just happened to be working for a large corporation that migrated to Windows 95 from Windows for Workgroups (Windows 3.11). Now *that* was a migration. I even got called on to diagnose problems for the executive level head (Vice Pres?) of I.T. (I forget what his title was..) when his laptop gagged and spewed after getting upgraded, which, was a huge coup for the consulting firm I worked for.. His regular support guy wasn't one of us consultants. I'll never forget the call I made from his desk to the Help Desk (we all had a display with Caller I.D. on our phones) ... "Sangita... your performance just hasn't been where we like to see it. We're going to have to let you go..." lol!

"Those monitors are heavy, too, that thing must be 60 pounds" *snicker*

I think I should back up, some.. I think I don't understand how remote updates work.

For some reason I had it in my head that I could take a (n initialized, somehow) USB/thumb drive to a local internet café and download whatever update(s) I need, and then take the thumb drive back home, plug it in, and get up to date.

~~

I'd definitely stick with Windows 7 if support wasn't ending for it. The updates are very manageable and I have my desktop just like I want it. I'm hoping I can still use it on this PC when I unplug it from the Internet. I have no desire to remove Windows 7 from this PC.

I never used a version of Windows that was out of date supportwise but it doesn't sound like a good idea to use a version of Windows that no longer gets security updates, if, I plan to be online with that pc all the time, which, I will be with the new PC.

I'm not going Apple this late in the game unless it's between that and not using a computer..

Linux, I want to try out just to try out, due to it's been around forever and it looks worth trying. And, it runs on the kind of PC I'm used to. If they get Linux to the point where my games run as fast or faster, I might not even mind switching OS's for awhile due to why not, it's been awhile.

So that pretty much leaves Windows 10 now that I understand the pricing better and don't have to go running to Linux - assuming I can handle the Windows 10 downloads. Which, it sounds like I will be able to - especially if I can update remotely using a simple thumb/usb drive if/when I have to.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:17:30 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2019, 08:03:26 PM »
Still no new PC!

My largest job from last year still hasn't paid off, soooooo.... I've turtled up.

Meanwhile, sale prices are already better, now, than they were Cyber Monday. If I were to build right now it would clearly be a Ryzen system with an ATI 1050 or better, 16 gig of memory (at least ddr4whatever = pc4 30000), and with at least a 1TB (pcie16/m2, most likely) SSD drive, and, some kind of cheap as possible, fat as possible, external drive (USB would be nice for simplicity/portability) for backups/storage. I still like the last case I found/linked here. I still don't know which way I'll go with Windows - OEM or Full Version. It depends on how big of a deal 20-40 bucks is when the time comes.

Hey! I have a wonder tool for anyone interested. I really like it, anyway. It will tell you about anything you would want to know about your video card. It will even Detect old ones (and new, I'm assuming..)... and give you all this great, specific, info:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-gtx-660-windforce-2x-oc.b463

That info page was launched from a program. The program tells all kinds of useful info, too. The "Sensors" tab gives realtime data on how close to capacity your fans are running.. how hot the gpu is.. how much electricity the card is using... and all kinds of technical info. Zee program, is here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Download and run at your own risk, of course. It's the Internet - be careful! I've detected nothing but goodness from this application since I started using it a year ago or so, soooo, I finally decided to pass it on to... You. *shrug* I always appreciated a good tool.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:08:29 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Tahquitz

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
    • HERC
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2019, 04:57:22 AM »
What's been helpful for comparing parts for me:

https://www.userbenchmark.com

CPU, GPU, HDD, SSD, etc.  Select a device and pick any two products to compare.  You'll get a comparison on performance, price, sales, and reviews across the board.  UserBenchmark also comes with a program to take an inventory of your current computer to add to their database as well.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
Since we were talking about Windows 7...

KB4493132 finally came down to my macheen today (I guess it's been out for days already). These tiny updates are always especially ... questionable to me so I looked it up before installing and what did I find?

After 10 years of servicing, January 14, 2020, is the last day Microsoft will offer security updates for computers running Windows 7 SP1. This update enables reminders about Windows 7 end of support. More information about Windows 7 end of support can be found at www.microsoft.com/windows7 or you can review the frequently asked questions.

I declined/Hid the update..

The End Is Near!
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2019, 12:51:10 PM »
It doesn't seem like last Cyber Monday was even a very good time to buy.

I've not been watching my sales flyers like a hawk, at all, but, even just lightly scanning them now and then I can see that SSD prices are down, a lot. Memory is at least 20% less...

MS really needs to have a sale! A big sale.. They gave away Windows 10 when they wanted beta testers... Now that Windows 7 support is going away is a good time to brew a new sale. I dunno why I have such a prob plunking down $120 for an OS that is supposed to be around...infinitely, but, I do.

Anyway, I really wasn't impressed, at all, by last Cyber Monday and I think the reason why, at least partially, may have been that it just wasn't a good time to buy. Presently, seems to be a better time and getting better.

Some Faves:

Tahquitz

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
    • HERC
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2019, 08:18:44 PM »
Microsoft isn't going to discount Windows 10.  In fact, in the shutdown advisory they're pushing to Windows 7 PCs, they're telling people at this point they don't advise applying a Windows 10 upgrade to any system running Windows 7 that hasn't been purchased brand new in the last four years. 

Go buy a new PC is the message they're sending.  If that's the official word, Windows 10 license keys won't be discounted in any way.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »
In fact, in the shutdown advisory they're pushing to Windows 7 PCs, they're telling people at this point they don't advise applying a Windows 10 upgrade to any system running Windows 7 that hasn't been purchased brand new in the last four years.

*shrug*

What does that even mean? I could have built/bought a wayyyyyy different PC than you, 4 years ago. I mean, I guess they have to advise... *something*. Sounds like an extremely dumbed down, and probably overly safe, version of recommended System Specs.

I'm really curious how they're expecting their new Infinity License to work. I mean, I'm all for never buying more than 1 copy of Windows per PC and having a version of Windows that works on PCs from here on out.. But.. *boggle*

I'm curious how it's going to turn out for the many many people loyal to Windows 7 that don't want to switch, too, and continue using an OS online with no security updates.

Anyway, it sure seems like a good time for a sale for them! It would make me much more inclined to release the green from my steely grip, now, instead of waiting until the last minute. Plus, it's not as bad being forced to do something if you can get something out of it.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2019, 02:13:09 PM »
Sales are sales and there is always a new one. But. This kinda made my jaw drop a little so I thought I'd share..

WD Elements 10TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive.... For 150 clams... 150! 10 tb.. WD... Reputable reseller...

wow..

Some Faves: