Author Topic: What would you build?  (Read 54361 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: What would you build?
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2019, 11:32:31 PM »
These sales! Dammit.. I keep missing sales, every day, on stuff I have in my wishlist~!

*sigh*

: )

So...

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/PublicWishlistDetail?ID=7089977

I really don't like abandoning my longstanding philosophy of: it's better to put the OS and Game on their own drive.. But.. When I first developed the philosophy.. we didn't have drives made from MEMORY.. Also, this is such a huge upgrade for me, that, any performance degradation from having everything on 1 drive... should not be noticeable.

Another thing about drives.. As I understand it, I can't run 2 of the fastest SSD drives at the same time. As I understand it I can only run 1 (M.2) Pcie gen 3 at... (Pcie) x4.

So.. given all that... I decided to stick with 1 drive for the foreseeable future.. Since I'm gonna do that, I may as well get at least 1 TB and it of course will run via the fastest interface, above. So, I upgraded to 1TB from 500gig.

Another change, is, I decided to get what *appears* to be a really nice PSU that as a small bonus provides 20 more watts than my previous choice. It costs a little more but the reviews are so solid on Corsair, and, it's got a very nice efficiency rating and warranty, that, I decided to try a 'nice' PSU.

I stuck with the CPU.. The higher tier Ryzens just aren't doing it for me. I mean.. The Ryzen 3 is so damn cheap! Well, and, get this, you can't use any faster memory with a Ryzen 5 at twice the price.. So. Yeah. It's the bottom of the barrel Ryzen, but, I see no reason to go higher.

I lowered my memory speed.. The Ryzen 3 (and 5) don't directly support the speed of the memory I had previously chosen. So, I should see no loss in performance, and, I might gain some stability and I paid for the nicer PSU with the saved dollars..

My video card is on sale! If I buy it in a few hours.. So I probably should.. I need a shopping break, though..

I still like my motherboard choice - I like the 40 bucks I save on Wi-Fi, that, I can put into a nice board - like this one.

I was too tired to shop for cases....again..

SO!

The above is my latest. I changed my mind on Mouse, too. I'm not gonna get another MMO mouse. I'm gonna get the newest version of my last beloved Logitech cordless laser gaming mouse that is now at a beloved half price.. It has almost half the buttons of the MMO but more *usable* ones. The thumbies are also far superior (way easier to find and use), and, this model seems more rugged than the MMO. The MMO was definitely worth trying. I mean, how can you not want to try a 20 button mouse named MMO....? They are a good price when on sale, too.

I keep having this vision of having problems with my first SSD.. I think I have all the right parts, though..
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2019, 12:27:49 AM »
These sales! Dammit.. I keep missing sales, every day, on stuff I have in my wishlist~!

*sigh*

So...

I really don't like abandoning my longstanding philosophy of: it's better to put the OS and Game on their own drive.. But.. When I first developed the philosophy.. we didn't have drives made from MEMORY.. Also, this is such a huge upgrade for me, that, any performance degradation from having everything on 1 drive... should not be noticeable.

Another thing about drives.. As I understand it, I can't run 2 of the fastest SSD drives at the same time. As I understand it I can only run 1 (M.2) Pcie gen 3 at... (Pcie) x4.

So.. given all that... I decided to stick with 1 drive for the foreseeable future.. Since I'm gonna do that, I may as well get at least 1 TB and it of course will run via the fastest interface, above. So, I upgraded to 1TB from 500gig.

You can have as many M.2 slots as your motherboard's expansion cards will allow.  Speed limits will be governed by the Motherboard used, of course, but because you only have 1 M.2 slot (or none) doesn't mean you can't add one on.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2019, 02:22:22 AM »
Awww man, I was so close to finally ordering..... and 2 of the main things I wanted... Sold Out!!!

*exhale*

You can have as many M.2 slots as your motherboard's expansion cards will allow.  Speed limits will be governed by the Motherboard used, of course, but because you only have 1 M.2 slot (or none) doesn't mean you can't add one on.

Oh yay, more reading.

(ha : )

Thanks for reminding me of these. I sifted through the link, some... I couldn't find what I would use, but, I didn't scour the page..

Here's my motherboard..

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#sp

If you scroll down a little, there's expansion slot info and storage interface info.

Natively, without expansion cards, the motherboard (if I understand correctly) supports a M.2 pcie3 x4 SSD - which, if I understand correctly, is, currently the fastest SSD interface. It has another slot that supports, what I assume to be the second fastest SSD interface - M.2 pcie3 x2..

Assuming my assumptions are correct. What I could do, is, get the cheapest x2 SSD from a reliable company as my OS drive.. (already found one for $30) and then put my games on the faster x4.. this way I have a second drive for Windows pagefileing, I keep game and OS disk access separate, and, I'm using the 2 fastest interfaces available on the motherboard....without using an adapter card such as from your link.

I updated my Wish list to show what I mean. The Wish list with 2 Sold Out items..  : / One was the video card I was definitely going to buy today since it is the one I want, and is on sale! Argh..

Thanks for piping in TQ! Sucky timing. Too much other stuff to do this time of year but due to this, that, and the other, I really need to get this over with. Thanks for checking up on me. Glad I don't have any gaping errors in my tentative build.

If I get a 240 gig boot x2 SSD and a 1 TB x4 SSD, that should take care of my storage needs for a good, long, time. Matter of fact, if I'm going to get 2 drives instead of 1.. I could save the money that the 240 gig costs.. by getting a 500 gig x4.. I mean, I don't have anywhere near 500 gig of games and don't plan to any time soon.. if I need to add-on storage for things like my video - I can add a (whatever) drive....whenever. Meanwhile, I do have the old PC and the USB drive in this wish list for such things.

I guess the main question at this point, then, is... 2 drives or 1? (1) 1 TB x4 SSD... or... (1) 500 gig x4 SSD plus a 240 gig x2 SSD for about the same price (a little less).

Otherwise......... I feel fairly comfortable with this list. The new interfaces and slots are a little confusing but I think all this stuff should work very well together. I updated the Wish List with that boot drive btw and it still has the 1 TB x4 in it.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2019, 08:48:58 PM »
I'm back for another round!

Something to add about the 20 button Logitech MMO mouse - that cord, will, kink on you eventually. I've seen it in other reviews, and it happened to me right off. They have this cloth sheath thing covering the normal plastic cord - and that thing eventually strangles the plastic cord into a bunch. Keep your eyes open for MMO II, though. I mean, Logitech is always improving their stuff and that is a model worthy of further development.

My video card is back in stock but 10 bucks more, today. I'm going to have to pay more than I want for memory, too. I ended up re-shopping for cases again, yesterday... So now, I've re-re-re-re-re-shopped...everything.

Of the things on my wish list I think 2 of the biggest luxury items, for me, are the motherboard and power supply. I never get a fancy psu (which now seems like a thing not to skimp on too much..) and that motherboard is a tier above what I normally get. After mothering my first PC to make it to ancientness... I look at it and think that these are 2 of the components that would have served it best over the years. *shrug*

Anyway. yay. back to shopping til I Puke.. I used to really enjoy this process. Maybe it's just bad timing. It sure will be great to be able to do a lot of things that got whittled away on this PC. I can wake up to Lost in Space again! Re-install Windows whenever I want........ I used to install a clean Windows no less than once every year or two, max. I can install new video drivers! I won't get Launcher messages telling me that I can't play STO anymore, soon... I won't have Windows 7 support going away looming over me.. A modern video card..........! Oh joy, oh bliss. I should be dancing around but, yeah, I just wanna get it over with. Solve the mystery, of, can I still get into my ancient Internet accounts and did I pick the right parts... Stop playing rounds of How Many More Times Will She Boot and be Useful.

ha  : )

I can't bear to take this thing apart, tho. I mean sheesh - it's served me well.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2019, 10:19:35 PM »
Well, I've managed to keep the 1tb ssd and still get a boot ssd, and, after realizing I could use a USB 3.1 flash drive in a USB 2.0 port, I ended up with a lot more attractive flash drive (much better company, and, it's USB 3.1..). I got the better PSU... and I'm still squeeking in below budget.

I'm sure there must be cables or a M.2 screw or something else to whittle away my pennies, but, I'm getting close! I may actually even order....today! Finally.. Maybe.. lol. It's hard to let the green slip from my steely grip. Saving is way more fun than spending, lately.

The wishlist above is updated for anyone keeping score.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2019, 01:27:52 AM »
Ok Opinion Time!

I have narrowed my choice of cases to 3.. Price isn't the main concern (even the 'expensive' choice in this bunch is under $70), but, the one *I* like does happen to be the most expensive one.

In order of which one I like best *so far*:
This is a Cooler Master. It's the most expensive choice. The main thing I like about this case? It's the only one I've found that not only has a mesh front and back and top and left side... it has mesh on the right side, under where the motherboard sits. This, to me, seems a very, very, good place to have ventilation and no one else seems to have it.

https://www.newegg.com/midnight-black-cooler-master-n-series-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119277

The next two choices are tied with each other. I may like this one slightly better mainly due to it's slightly larger and looks slightly nicer overall. It has everything the first choice has, basically, except that it has no motherboard side ventilation.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811853003

This one is very similar to the previous one. I think it may have better front ventilation due to I think the (unneeded by me) drive bays aren't obstructions like they are on the DeepCool.. It's damn cheap! $36.. but it got solid reviews and, again, it's hard to choose between it and the DeepCool based on features and reviews. They both seem very similar except that the DeepCool has like 600 more reviews.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811553030

Again, price isn't the big thing, but.... the top choice is nearly double the price of the bottom one, and, all three of these cases seem really similar.

I'm leaning towards the Cooler Master just due to that bonus motherboard cooling vent on top of it having everything else I seem to want/need. The dimensions on all of them are very similar and they all look similarly easy to work in. They all have similar reviews and look similarly well built in spite of the price differences.

Opinion...? Which one do you like? Why??

I think I'm not going to make a decision today. One (hopefully) more night to sleep on things..

~~~

After looking at these three again for the billionth time, I think I actually like the cheapest one better than the DeepCool. Just look at those missing front drive bays on the Cougar.. And then look at the ones obstructing airflow and holding in heat on the DeepCool... Well, and, on the CoolerMaster, too...

The cheapest choice may well be the best one. I think it depends on how much I like that Coolermaster motherboard vent vs. would it actually be useful to ditch the drive bays.. I'm not thinking of anything I need drive bays for, right now...

So now we have only 1 model with a motherboard vent and only 1 model with no obstructing drive bays... and, the other case. : )

I'm very interested to hear any opinions on this due to I may be overlooking something.

~~~

I just noticed that the mesh on the Cougar isn't nearly as meshy on the inside of the case as the other two alternatives, above... If it weren't for that, I think I'd get the Cougar just due to it's got way more space to work in and for air to get around in without the drive bays.

With SSD's and Thumb Drives (who needs to burn a cd/dvd anymore..) I don't understand why cases are still so drive cage dominated.. Drive bays look archaic, to me... I mean, fine, if you must still include them, make them ..... removable, huh? Right?? Metal holds in heat, and, unneeded bays are more than likely going to restrict airflow to some degree.. Heat has to be the number 1 degrader of performance and longevity.. Those drive bays take up a lot of room, too! I mean look at how much of the case is dominated by them and you may not even need them!

So now it's down to the CoolerMaster and DeepCool...

CoolerMaster has the motherboard ventilation I like (hopefully this new-to-me design doesn't attract dust in a new-to-me destructive area...) and... take a look at the drive bays. They are wide open to allow for airflow through the front panel.

Now, take a look at the DeepCool drive bays that sit behind that nice mesh front plate...

So, yeah.. (most expensive one, of course..) CoolerMaster is my current top choice. Matter of fact, it looks like about the best case I saw at any price. It's handy that it comes with a front and back fan. I want a top exhaust fan, but, I have to look and see what it'll sit on top of on the motherboard. I don't want a side fan blowing air (and whatever else slips through the mesh) onto the motherboard. I never liked blowing air directly on the motherboard - I'd much rather suck heat *away* from it than blow cool on to it (and in to opposing CPU/GPU fans..).

Anyway, looks like the CoolerMaster is gonna win.. it's a little pricey for me (I usually cheap out on cases..), but, barely, and, seems the way to go.

I'm still open to opinions  : D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:09:27 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »
Newegg has one of the best search engines for stuff they sell, but, it's far from perfect.

I turned off some search filters and found this Gem!

https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-masterbox-q500l-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119370?reviews=all

Now. With my motherboard, this is how things should work out.. First off, see where they put the PSU, vertically? I do this exact same thing now.. and I have an open top, like this case does. What that does, is, isolate the PSU and allow it to cool itself without heating up the whole case. Bottom mounted PSUs seem to be popular right now, but, I prefer what they did here.

Second.. My video card will plug in directly under that back fan.. With its fan facing downwards towards the elevated bottom mesh... it will suck the coolest air in the case (the bottom air where nothing is making heat) and have its radiant heat exhausted out the back..

Next heat maker: CPU. the CPU sits under an open wire mesh top and has a fan behind it to suck whatever radiant heat doesn't go out the top, out of the back..

Look at that deep recess in the back where the removable back panel is (where the motherboard installs).. It's bracketed on both sides with breathable mesh..

Virtually the entire front, back, top, and *bottom* is mesh.. According to the specs a fan can not only go in the back and top, but, on the bottom. Specs say you can't have a fan up front but the pictures tell me otherwise.. I'm not too concerned about a front fan due to I'd rather the inflow of air be predominately from the bottom and pushing up and back, out of the case. Let the PSU take care of itself and let the heat from it, go up, instead of being dragged across the case..

Very smart looking case! Wide open.. I was a little put off by the non-ventilated door... but.. that's where most of my dust blows in from, now, and, it *can* be left open a crack or completely removed, as I have done with the case I have now.

I mean, it's hard to make a perfect case. There's all kinds of things making heat and it all has to plug in together and play nice. Bigger is not always better, either - I've had problems getting cables to stretch with Full Tower cases, and, they're more expensive and the extra space would go unused in my case. You don't want a tiny case, either, where things physically won't fit.. This mid tower seems to fit the bill, sizewise, nicely. The design of this case appears to be an improvement on my ... modded case, that, has done quite well at dispersing heat. My ugly/unneeded drive bays are gone.. For the size of case that it is, there seems to be about the maximum amount of space to work in.. There was only 1 review on Newegg for this model (5 eggs! you have to be careful checking reviews, there - often the reviews you are reading are for the same manufacturer....but for a DIFFERENT model.. blah..) and he had a full ATX like I'll be getting and had no problems installing it, as I can imagine.

Anyway, I submit to you.. The CoolerMASTER.... MASTERBox.... *kawhips the cold*

https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-masterbox-q500l-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119370?reviews=all

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:57:03 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2019, 08:16:45 PM »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2019, 09:04:40 PM »
SSD drive interface naming conventions are way more confusing than USB!

You can figure that Pcie is going to be faster than SATA... you can figure that x4 (pcie) is faster than x2...

Now wth is a M.2 2280??

Can you believe, that the 2280... is simply the size....?

M.2 2280 = 22 x 80 mm

Myyyyy motherboard will support up to M.2 22110, which is, you guessed it... 22 x 110 mm

Sheesh. I just now figured that out! And I pass it on.... to you  : )
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2019, 02:45:38 AM »
Holy gee whillikers...

I had to re-re-re-re-reshop cases... I didn't like the size or other things about my other choices and I didn't really want to spend over $100 for a Full Tower case. I mean, a good case is important, but, I just can't bring myself to do it! My crappy case worked fine (with some adjustments) for well over a decade, soooooo, I guess as long as stuff fits and there's decent airflow...

Anyway, here's what I will 99% sure end up with... I found a decent pic with it stuffed full of big things, like a full ATX, which, doesn't dominate this case at all like it does many mid-towers. It looks like it will be relatively easy and clean to build with, the price is acceptable, and the airflow/airflow options look(s) better than what I'm used to.

https://proclockers.com/reviews/computer-cases/cooler-master-masterbox-nr600-case-review/page/0/5

Now.... I finally think I have a bunch of quality parts that all will fit together very nicely without a lot of hassle and stay cool..

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh....

This is way easier to do if you do it more often than, like, once every decade+..

~~~~

One curious thing about today's cases. is, it's totally common to install a hard drive sandwiched into the 2 inches between the bottom of your motherboard and the bottom/back of your case. No way I'd do that. Lol nooooo way I'd stuff 4 hard drives underneath my motherboard and then seal them in with a metal plate... Very, very curious.

I'm gonna try and skip hard drives and optical drives from now on. I can't see any reason for me to use them. At best, I would get an external USB drive or something similarly simple if I just had to store a ton of data I didn't want to have on my tiny little onboard SSD's.. I have no need for optical drives anymore unless I have to install something that I can't download or get on a flash drive... and if I just have to get one... I bet they make an external USB or similarly simple one of those, too.

I just don't want that old, large, clunky tech *in* my PCs anymore. It feels like having a disk drive in there. It's like... why...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:51:37 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2019, 05:53:24 PM »
lol how odd. I can't share my wishlist anymore.. I was using/viewing the shared version due to I don't have to log in to see it, and, Newegg likes to log me out every 3 minutes.

When I try to view the shared version, now, it tells me that 'the owner has set it to private". Which, I have done exactly the opposite of..

How odd..

~~~

Well phooey... My Wishlist sharing privileges have been silently revoked!

Get this... I ditched my 128 gig flash drive and for $30 more.. ended up with a Western Dig 2 TB USB 3.1 drive on sale..

Wth is up with Seagate? Do they really suck so bad nowadays or is there some kinda negative marketing campaign going on out there..

When I was building machines for other people and myself it used to be that Seagate was the pr0h drive and Western Digital was a Home User drive that wasn't nearly as reliable. I have (2) 10+ year old Seagates powering my games and booting my current machine! Just as well as ever.

I kinda have overkill on storage, now.. But... Apparently these SSD's work better when they're empty and mine will be pretty empty now that I have the fat USB drive in my list. I could save $8 and lose 1TB of storage, but.. yeah. nah. 8 bucks for 1 TB is hard to pass up.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:27:54 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2019, 08:59:09 PM »
So, if you look at this motherboard's specs..

Can I not plug a m.2 pcie3 x2 SSD into this thing to boot with, and, a m.2 pcie3 x4 for my games...?

I mean, it sure looks like it to me, and I have them picked out already... but SSD's and these interfaces are new to me, sooooooo, thought I'd see of anyone sees any red flags...?

Sure looks like they'll not only plug in but they'll both be heatsinked.

I think I've finally exhausted all the current possibilities for what I want. What a ride. There's a lot of options, today! It really, really, really, helped when I started watching YouTubes of people building PC's in the cases I was considering. I got to see how all the modern stuff plugs in, and, how much space it took. It not only really, really, helped in picking out a case, but, it was great to see how things plug in and what size they all are and all that good stuff.

Any other last minute things anyone can think of...? I'm about to pull the trigger!
Some Faves:

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2019, 01:15:40 AM »
So, if you look at this motherboard's specs..

Can I not plug a m.2 pcie3 x2 SSD into this thing to boot with, and, a m.2 pcie3 x4 for my games...?

I mean, it sure looks like it to me, and I have them picked out already... but SSD's and these interfaces are new to me, sooooooo, thought I'd see of anyone sees any red flags...?

Sure looks like they'll not only plug in but they'll both be heatsinked.

I think I've finally exhausted all the current possibilities for what I want. What a ride. There's a lot of options, today! It really, really, really, helped when I started watching YouTubes of people building PC's in the cases I was considering. I got to see how all the modern stuff plugs in, and, how much space it took. It not only really, really, helped in picking out a case, but, it was great to see how things plug in and what size they all are and all that good stuff.

Any other last minute things anyone can think of...? I'm about to pull the trigger!

Looks alright.  Two M.2 slots, two M.2 drives.  PCI-Ex is made for backwards compatibility speed-wise, so two NVMe storage devices will be fine.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2019, 05:40:12 AM »
Looks alright.  Two M.2 slots, two M.2 drives.  PCI-Ex is made for backwards compatibility speed-wise, so two NVMe storage devices will be fine.

My main concern is what slot I can boot with (very probably both...). It's been a little confusing due to someone posted, once, one place.. that you can only boot from the m.2 slot on this motherboard that is Pcie x4.  I think he was wrong because I've yet to find anyone else report the same thing.

That brings up another point - those two m.2 slots don't support the same Pcie SSDs.

1.1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A_SOCKET)
2.1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe 3.0 x2 SSD support)(M2B_SOCKET)

One will support SATA and Pcie x4... the other will only support Pcie x2.

I'm buying a small, cheap (but great looking) Pcie x2 to put into the x2 slot and plan to boot with it. I'm buying a larger, not as cheap, Pcie x4 for use as a game drive. --- I just didn't want to have to have to use the big drive as a boot drive (or move a PCIE x4 SSD to a PCIE x2 slot...), if that *1* review I read was right.

As far as I can tell.... that reviewer was wrong. I should be able to boot from a (m.2 Pcie) x2 SSD, in the (m.2 Pcie) x2 slot (M2B_SOCKET)(, and, use the M2A_SOCKET to put a Pcie x4 SSD drive in for games). Right? But, these drives and interfaces are new to me, and, I had that *1* review say I was wrong, soooooo, I thought it wouldn't hurt to see if I got a red flag, here.

Hey! My wishlist got migrated to SystemBuilder...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d8vtP3

I also had to learn what HDMI 2.0 is........... (sheesh, more reading..) and order a hdmi-hdmi cable due to the new video card won't work with my old dvi-hdmi cable.. I checked to make sure I have M.2 screws and heatsinks.....! I checked to make sure my 3 pin case fans would plug into 4 pin connectors on the motherboard.. I checked to make sure my PSU has all the right plugs.. I checked to make sure everything will fit.... I should have all the standoffs and whatnot I need, with the case...

Am I forgetting anything....?

THANKS for checking in TQ!  : ) At least I know I don't have any gaping errors/feel way less like the Lone Ranger.

p.s.
I found that 2 TB WD external (USB 3.1) for 60 bucks..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 05:53:52 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2019, 02:17:19 AM »
I think I managed to get nearly every single toy I wanted, and, spend nearly every penny that I had (loaded onto my online-plastic) budgeted for myself.

If you're not from the States, this, is called: Being a Good American.

I not only ended up with what should be a pretty fast machine with more storage than I know what to do with and in formats that I couldn't be happier with (I even tossed a 64 gig usb 3.1 thumb drive in.. hey, it was 5 bucks, and I've wanted a new thumb drive for years..)... I ended up with something I never even considered - Bluetooth earbuds.. I *love* earbuds and I lub wireless, and, the thing was on deep sale, had great reviews, I am going to have Bluetooth on the motherboard....., and, I've been wanting new headphones for my PC for years. I have several uses for these things that I just couldn't do otherwise (Stealth Yoga!) and I like earbuds for their immersion factor. Anyway, yay : )

Oh hey, so now I'll be on wireless keyboard/mouse/sound. All w/rechargeable batteries. Oh bliss.

Hey, I only do this every 10 years or so, ya know! That's my excuse for splurging and I'm sticking with it.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:22:46 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2019, 07:24:34 PM »
Well, I finally, finally, finally pulled the trigger. Can you believe it? I couldn't be happier with the parts I ordered (on paper anyway  : ).

There was a screwup in the order process due to me entering a digit incorrectly and I have yet to get shipping confirmation on half of my order from Saturday. There was a fatality in the incident: my battery charger (mouse/keyboard). I'm not touching anything to do with payments until I get whatever shows up, though, and, Amazon sells the same thing for the same price (I don't like the Newegg seller, anyway, I had a really bizarre incident with them once on the phone years ago...) and I can wait.

The processor (from OutletPC, who, was way faster than Newegg, who, went out of stock on my CPU and has been much slower communicating and shipping..) has shipped and so has the Case, Video Card, and Memory.

The rest is still in processing : /

I remember Newegg being way, way faster than this (It's well past noon on the west coast). But. Oh well. As long as it all shows up and in one piece I'll be happy...

Hey, here is a cool use for Bluetooth earbuds.. If you can get a set comfortable enough to sleep in.. (I sleep with earplugs sometimes) and then get your PC to turn on in the morning and wake you up to your favorite multimedia pumped into the earbuds.... That'd be a kinda interesting way to wake up, huh?  : ) Sure beats *WONK WONK WONK* or blaring music/ads. My computer already wakes me every day but I can't currently set it to load any movie or music when Windows loads due to I'm afraid the extra load (they really grind..) will grind what's left of my hard drives away. I used to have it boot up with a movie or Lost in Space episode in the mornings. Hope to again, soon  : )
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2019, 12:15:22 AM »
Something interesting about the mouse I'm waiting on, is, I'm very happy to report that it ships with an extender cable for the wireless receiver. Ya know, a dongle. What's interesting, is, when I started a thread about what mouse to buy, awhile back, I was real definite on getting a wireless. When people complained about wireless reception being bad, I was like... take a dongle... and run the receiver, oh, 2 inches away from your mouse... are you still having problems? Due to, that's what I did and it works perfectly. I mean, if you can't get a good wireless connection from 2 inches away, just give up using a computer anyway.

And now they ship with them! The newest version of the Logitech gaming mouse I was replacing, that is.

Yup, wayyy ahead of my time *nod*

Still well over half of my order unshipped and it's the end of the business day  : / Newegg neeeeever took nearly this long before.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2019, 01:01:30 AM »
So I just got word back from Newegg. "Due to the volume.... of what you ordered there is a delay" and, the delayed stuff is coming from "another" warehouse.

Lol wha...?

Lawdy..

It's just parts for 1 PC and not even that fancy of one. I mean, they handle how many orders a day...?  And I ordered....Saturday - they didn't have time to prep? And they're like... one of the largest online retailers on the planet? They say on their webpage they have a '1 day' turnaround time and I can't ever remember not getting my stuff shipped from them the same day if I ordered early in the business day.

I'm not in that much of a hurry, don't get me wrong, (I just want to get the parts here and in one piece) but... really? One measly home PC is a voluminous order...? Really?? MY order? lol oh that's classic. I mean, um, *speechless*

/FLEX
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2019, 03:04:01 AM »
Because I know how this is such an edge of the seat topic I just had to update with kudos to Newegg. They managed to put my 'voluminous' order through before sundown! (edit: had I remembered the very first order confirmation I got - they say 1-2 days for shipping.. I always get stuff from them the same day if I order early. I thought they had a 1 day policy, too... Well, and, I was wondering if the goofed payment had maybe not got ungoofed. oops! I feel bad for bugging their online CS, now.. who, was very helpful, and found out exactly what was going on with every part of my voluminous order.) I have tracking numbers for every part and cable..

Wtg Newegg! I'm glad I can say good things about them due to I've been buying PC stuff from them pretty much exclusively since 2005. Always had really good luck with them.

It looks like I'll likely be building this baby, this weekend.. Hurrah  : ) What a wait.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:04:01 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2019, 01:42:12 PM »
Things always change, except, for the fact that things always change. My beloved Seagate has sooo much bad press out there.. Then, I didn't feel like I had the communication like I always had from Newegg, at first, and I thought, blah.. more change.

I did order on a weekend.. and they do have a 1-*2* day shipping promise... and they did just ship a ton of stuff to me, most of it getting here in 2 days.. for no/low cost shipping.

They put together a nice invoice that puts everything together and all should be here by the end of the week, most of it tomorrow.

Anyway, I didn't feel like I gave them a fair shake, so, there's their fair shake. I get Eggpoints to spend on more Newegg stuff, in 30 days, for the stuff I don't return, too, at the rate of 10%... which means, in 30 days, I get to spend $10...+ that I otherwise couldn't/wouldn't have. Maybe good time to get that charger.

*sets pom-poms down*
Some Faves: