Author Topic: So..what do you all play since CoH/V is gone?  (Read 9493 times)

ArtificialHope

• Underling
So..what do you all play since CoH/V is gone?
« on: June 21, 2018, 03:34:13 AM »
I just recently found a video describing the character creator being a thing you can download..so I did, remade my old main...then got severely depressed afterwards, because of all the memories it brought back. I never found another game like this one, got me into Roleplaying and everything, and really feeling like I could make anyone I wanted to.

Anyways..what MMO's have all of you found since that you've been using to fill the gaps? I played WoW a good bit, but haven't in a while, and not really interested in going back. Wildstar didn't hold me very long at all, nor Blade and Soul or Black Desert..though that one I may give another shot. Currently playing Guild Wars 2, because of overall quality and content without paying for a subscription. But..it just isn't the same, you know? I'm more into Sci-Fi than Fantasy for the most part..and I never found anything that really..filled the void.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Korbian

Re: So..what do you all play since CoH/V is gone?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
I played Champions a little to get my costuming fix.  If you turn off the cel shading it doesn't look so hokey, and it's certainly more fun that it was when it first came out, but no, still not CoH.

And I'm a huge Star Trek nerd, so I enjoy STO, but it's an entirely different kind of game really, so no.

The one game that I have played that has given me that same feeling of awesome that CoH did, is Secret World Legends.  It's a beast to download, but even my 10 year old rig could run it, if not well.  It's also mature content, and a bit of gore, but if that doesn't bother you, I highly suggest it.  The writing is fantastic and some of the things they did in missions are unlike anything I had ever seen.  It's free to play, but there's a few perks for people who sub.  Character creation is a bit limited, but once you're in game you can unlock more clothing options, and like CoH, you can wear whatever you want independently of your gear.  And the community there is almost as nice as this one.  ;)

Oh, and have you checked out Paragon Chat?  Or just the costume creator?  It's still not the same as having the full game.  But it really is cool to get to visit all the old places and hunt badges.  And the holiday events are pretty fun at Halloween and Christmas.  It's also great for RP and just finding some folks to commiserate with.

ArtificialHope

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 12:32:58 PM »
I tried a couple of times to join in, but Rogue Isles stopped loading a quarter way through both times. I'll try to see if I can get in to Atlas City..because maybe I'm stupid and you can't go to Islands at all. ^.^;

I'll look in to that game you're suggesting. I tried Champions when it first came out..it was close, but I just didn't enjoy it as much, yeah.

Thank you for responding as well.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »
I've played a lot of games that all partially scratch the CoH itch, but none that are really "replacements".  I played Champions Online for a few months after the original shutdown, but that didn't last long.  Played STO until they discontinued the Mac version.  I play Dofus on and off, but that was never a replacement for CoH.

These days, I do most of my MMOing on the PS4, including STO (again), a bit of Neverwinter, and ... does The Division count as an MMO?

That's not counting all the single-player games I've gone through.  Infamous: Second Son was a recent favorite, but I wish it wasn't possible to 100% it.  I wish there were always more things to do, because I like playing as Delsin.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »
Tried everything I could find, and I mean everything.  Never played anything longer than a few months.

So, now, nothing at all. 

Nada

Van Allen

• Underling
  • I put the fire in "fire power!"
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »
PS4 when I have time, IF I have time.  Problem is I start a game I like it then RL steals my time. Too many discs still in the original packages.

But so far there's no replacement.  I MADE time for CoH but when CoH was going down in the final moments I said to the SG in AP, "I won't ever be able to play a game without first comparing it to this."

I liked it so much I eventually got 2 game accounts for more characters  :)
What is a Dominator?
  Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 01:37:10 PM »
Only 3 games have interested me since 1999: EverQuest, CoH, and CO.

The main EQ emulator gets some of my time.
I occasionally play CO. It's the only game that comes close to CoH.
And Paragon Chat, of course.

I leveled up a character in STO just to get to Risa (there has been the rare Cape Radio DJ appearance there), but everything about the game irritates me.

I'm probably not likely to play a game unless it's superhero-related... and not affiliated with a comic book company. No Marvel or DC game has interested me.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:32:15 PM »
My husband and I finally bit the bullet and are at last trying World of Warcraft.  It's a whole different ball of wax, but has it's entertaining elements.

It's not COH, of course.  I still miss COH daily, but get little fixes with Paragon Chat and the Player Events there. 

therainstormlord

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 03:02:09 PM »
Welcome!

Check out this thread to get an idea of what everyone else is playing: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8327.0

BitLoadR

• Lieutenant
  • <F6> <F6> <F6> ...
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
I've been trying CO several times, the free version still. Usually get around to play until about level 14 then stop playing for weeks.

I've kinda settled myself in the Assassin's Creed series since the shutdown.
Started with AC I and quickly followed with AC II, AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations.
Once I finished Revelations it took me some time to get my hands on AC III.
Shortly after finishing that one I got into AC IV: Black Flag, this is still my favorite.
After finishing IV twice I continued with AC Rogue and am currently working my way through AC Unity.
I'm planning to start on AC Syndicate once I complete Unity and I'm sure AC Origins and AC Odyssey will follow.

I'm not sure what happened but somehow AC I got me hooked like CoH did back in the days.
Hardly any game has had such an effect on me ... ever.
playing on Reunion as Star Jewel, Emberflair, Lumitia, Novaspark, Dawnshade, Mystfure, Ion Blaze, Heatstrike, more...

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 04:20:37 PM »
Tried CO, and SWTOR, the latter of which lasted until all of my teammates left for good.  After that, I did not last long.  So, Paragon Chat is the closest thing to a game that I play currently.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Crazyleo

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »

Also have plans on converting City of Heroes using the Champions TTRPG rules

That would be rather ironic, considering...

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »
(Currently playing an Android mechanic in Starfinder)

Is it sad that my first thought upon reading this was, "Why would he be playing a phone technician in a RPG?"

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 05:14:57 AM »
 Champions online, of course :)
Doc Artz

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »
Only MMORPG I've really been into since the shutdown is EVE Online. Other than that I've bounced around between games and genres, in particular discovered that I really enjoy digital trading card games.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 06:56:58 PM »
We're actually trying WOW, after all these years, and that's grindy but fun.  I'm still laughing at having collect a 'Battle Lamb' pet!

And I've been playing LOTRO on and off for some time.  Gorgeous graphics, and a real feel for being in the world of LOTR.

Other than that, it's pretty much Paragon Chat all the way.   :)

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 04:43:02 AM »
i am not sure currently -i'm at a toss up between going back to WoW (Sans BFA as i cant afford it at the moment) or going back to ESO.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Targmorf

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 11:26:24 PM »
I've tried various games that have come out since, but nothing I stick with for more than a few months.
CO for a few minutes, STO till I got to max level and got bored.
Birth of the Federation, Stellaris (space empire game), Battletech 2018.

Tolrick

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 11:47:10 PM »
I play...  lots of things.     My Steam account has 118 games with 43 installed.   Since CoH, I've had a hard time not getting bored with any given game within a few months.   I go back, but I get bored again quickly.

Currently, I have some enjoyment from Battletech and Stellaris, with the occasional foray into DCUO, STO, and Civ6

Borderlands and Skyrim live on my favorites list, but it's getting harder and harder to find decent Skyrim mods I want to toy with.
@Tolrick; Virtue Server

Shade Girl, Eternal Youth, Lion of England, and too many others to name