Author Topic: Shazam!  (Read 4269 times)

Mandu

• Elite Boss
Shazam!
« on: July 22, 2018, 05:36:47 AM »
Lighthearted entertainment and bright colors?  I guess that Titans trailer drained away all the darkness and angst in the DC cinematic universe long enough to get this movie made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC8uySZzInE

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Shazam!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:23:59 AM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:40:08 AM by Tenzhi »
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:12:46 AM »
I did kinda like how the costume looks like a little kid stuffed pillows in an underoos shirt in 1975 and went out looking for an old man in a trailer to travel the country with. But looks painful to me, just wall to wall dad jokes.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 11:13:15 AM »
I'm interested to see how they pull this off, since it looks like a combination of Classic Captain Marvel's origin (the wizard actually being named Shazam and choosing Billy, the lightning bolt transforming him whether he wants to change or not) and his New 52 Origin (the foster family, the costume, Shazam's overall appearance, Dr. Sivana being a big muscle-bound guy with magic powers rather than a shriveled super-scientist).

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 03:40:24 PM »
I'm interested to see how they pull this off, since it looks like a combination of Classic Captain Marvel's origin (the wizard actually being named Shazam and choosing Billy, the lightning bolt transforming him whether he wants to change or not) and his New 52 Origin (the foster family, the costume, Shazam's overall appearance, Dr. Sivana being a big muscle-bound guy with magic powers rather than a shriveled super-scientist).

And throw in a little "Greatest American Hero" as he tries to figure out how his powers work and what he can do.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
I saw the movie over the weekend and it was ok for me. I loved Zachery Levi playing a superhero with a mind of a child. That was good performance. I also like the foster kids and the parents. I wish they were my parents.... I have two negatives for this movie. One, the villain Dr. Sivana. He's not interesting because he has no motivation. I wasn't emotionally invested with him. Two, Billy Batson's character. He's not likable. I was more invested with the foster kids than him. Overall, the movie was average. I would recommend seeing it at a matinee.   

Edit: Ok, I'm going to add another negative. The movie is too long. I wish they cut the movie a little shorter.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 04:56:17 PM by Dev7on »

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 05:25:30 PM »
Haven't seen it yet, but yeah, almost 2hrs 15mins seems like it could be too much for a movie like this.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 05:53:56 PM »
Haven't seen it yet, but yeah, almost 2hrs 15mins seems like it could be too much for a movie like this.

They're just trying to train your bladder for endgame. It's a public service.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 06:49:00 PM »
Heh. One of my favourite comedies of all time is Mad Mad Mad Mad World. I watch it frequently. I can take it! :D

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 09:28:15 PM »
I liked the movie.

Zachary Levi was pretty good in it.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »
Warner gets one step closer to doing these movies right.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 08:33:38 PM »
One, the villain Dr. Sivana. He's not interesting because he has no motivation. I wasn't emotionally invested with him.

Not sure we saw the same movie because he had motivation coming out of the wazoo. He was rejected by the wizard and 'cheated' from the power he deserved and was blamed for the accident and what happened to his father.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 01:23:42 PM »
Billy even called attention to Sivana's motivation and used it as a weapon against him.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 04:35:02 PM »
This was a great movie! My wife and I loved it!

The audience was cheering at points towards the end and Zach Levi was wonderful! So much fun!

I loved the late-movie twists, too. 8)

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 01:50:54 PM »
Not sure we saw the same movie because he had motivation coming out of the wazoo. He was rejected by the wizard and 'cheated' from the power he deserved and was blamed for the accident and what happened to his father.

Ok but, when he got older he has is own company. Also, when he possessed the power of the 7 Deadly Sins and killed his brother and father he already established his revenge.
Spoiler for Hidden:
And at the end of movie we found out that he was under the influence by Envy. That's why I said he has no motivation because of that.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 02:07:18 PM »
Ok but, when he got older he has is own company. Also, when he possessed the power of the 7 Deadly Sins and killed his brother and father he already established his revenge.
Spoiler for Hidden:
And at the end of movie we found out that he was under the influence by Envy. That's why I said he has no motivation because of that.
Spoiler for Hidden:
He wanted the power he was denied.  Envy might have been influencing him eventually, but he'd spent ~40 years trying to get back before the Deadly Sin Envy got hands on him. He didn't know that he would get power from the Seven Deadly Sins, he wanted answers and/or power from the wizard.  Since the wizard was dead, then he wanted the power of Shazam.  Very clear motivations, but perhaps amplified by the Sins once they take hold of him.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 03:04:34 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:

Well he had his research that was a front to get him the power he thought he deserved, and he still wanted THAT power and needed to stop Billy before he mastered the power from the Wizard and could stop him.

Spoiler for Hidden:
He was under the influence of ALL of the sins, Envy was just the one who stayed in him during that part of the fight. They were all using him which is what Billy tried to warn him about.