Author Topic: Unable to establish control session  (Read 3421 times)

Sinjyn

• Underling
Unable to establish control session
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:42:11 AM »
I previously had trouble connecting due to a direct X issue...never got into Paragon Chat...dropped it for a few months, come back to try again...now this error.
I feel cursed. I am a fairly proficient PC user (I'm an IT installation/troubleshooting tech) so this kind of thing really irritates the shit out of me.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Unable to establish control session
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
Do you have any kind of host-based firewall software installed? The client process connects back to paragon chat over TCP. It's on localhost, so it's not exposed to the Internet, but some firewalls are dumb and don't make a distinction.

Sinjyn

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:46:56 PM »
I have nothing of the sort. Is it possible my ISP might block these ports at their end? I know COX Media, a prevalent ISP in Louisiana, blocks several ports without any notice to the end user...I've had to deal with them about that, but I am in Texas and use Comcast.
Alternatively, I have the windows firewall disabled...and no router twixt my PC and Modem.

Sinjyn

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:55:49 PM »
allowed access thru comodo and got in.

AvantGuardian

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
This is now occuring to me, "unable to establish control connection".

If I had the slightest idea what that actually meant I might be able to do something about it.
Anyone have any ideas?

Starfighter

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 08:53:38 PM »
A somewhat similar problem to the above occurring; I have been unable to get on to Paragon Chat for the past several months.  Whenever clicking the icon, I get "Some critical Issue 24 files could not be found.  Please check your 'COH Install Folder' setting on the options page."  Doing so gives a HUGE list of files that are defined as "missing", with no instructions or indications given as to how to install/replace them.  Wondering if this is anything the Tech team has encountered previously, and what - if any - steps might be taken to finally get the frick back on.  All thanks for attention to resolving this difficulty.

AvantGuardian

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 09:33:14 PM »
This is STILL a problem. I have not been able to sign in for months. Does ANYONE know what this actually means and/or how to correct it?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 10:18:06 PM »
It means ParagonChatClient.exe is unable to open a TCP connection to a port on localhost, where ParagonChat.exe is listening. The actual port number is random and is passed on the command line.

Either incorrectly configured firewall software (firewalls should never block localhost) or overzealous AV/security software is the most likely culprit.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 11:50:06 AM »
You can test either one of those fairly easily, AvantGuardian.  Turn the antivirus or firewall off (temporarily), then try to start ParagonChat.  If it's able to connect then whatever you've turned off is blocking you.

If you can narrow it down to one of those two, it might be a little easier to figure out how to proceed from there.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 01:57:50 AM »
Doc Artz

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 03:00:07 AM »
Doc Artz

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 01:55:30 AM »
Run Tequila and let the patcher do it's work.  Then try running Paragon Chat again.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran