Author Topic: Need Good Vibes for Victoria Victrix!  (Read 3760 times)

cygnata

• Minion
Need Good Vibes for Victoria Victrix!
« on: August 03, 2018, 08:43:10 PM »
VV is in a hospital near GenCon. I am posting this on Hyperstrike's behalf, as he has asked me to do. He is with her now, and just got back to see her.

So far, the only details we have are that she was having hallucinations and tingling sensations, and the doctors are with her now in the ER. I will keep this thread updated until Hyperstrike or VV can do so themselves.

Please keep her in your thoughts!

cygnata

• Minion
Re: Need Good Vibes for Victoria Victrix!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
They're wetting her down at the moment, but she's lucid and ornery and slurring her speech a bit.

Fireheart

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:10:46 PM »
Love & Light to our Victoria Victrix.

I'm on my way to the Library to pick up another of her books.

Be Well!
Fireheart

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:49:44 PM »
She's going in for an MRI now.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 12:50:59 AM »
Thanks for the updates, Cygnata.  :(  I hope she is alright.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 03:30:09 AM »
Sending all the good vibes I have for VV, and hopes that the Doctors get a handle on this and treat her quickly and well.

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 05:15:32 AM »

Sending Good Vibes, for VV

eshirako

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »
Oh no!  I hope she's okay.  I at least don't see any bad news about her in the news yet...let's hope for the best!

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 12:57:30 PM »
Always hate to hear of something happening to one of our own.  Prayers and thoughts.... :(

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »
VV is going to be just fine! They think the cause was environmental, the MRI was clean. Thankfully, the likely allergic reaction was noticed in time by GenCon staff.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 02:31:47 PM »
Looks like VV is getting out today.  She's NOTICEABLY better than she was last night.

The hotel will be changing her room.

They THINK it's a form of toxic shock in reaction to a newly remodeled room.

Stains, paints, furniture and carpets all off-gas a bit after being applied/built.

In older construction, things were leaky enough that it wasn't a big deal.

With newer construction and remodeling, things are a LOT more airtight.  So the cloud of off-gassing hangs around and concentrates.
In a lot of cases, new building owners will opt for so-called "Low VOC" materials and finishes to avoid this.

ANYONE can have a bad reaction, and VV is more sensitive to that stuff.

Being out of there, it seems to have flushed out of her system.

The hotel's going to put her in a unit that has not been remodeled yet.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 03:15:25 PM »
Well, yay for her!! Glad it wasn't more severe. Hope she continues to recuperate fast.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 08:14:07 PM »
She's been sprung.  We fed and watered her.
She's in a new room.  And has had a shower.

I got her back over to the con and at last notice, she was bailing for the Baen Book signing and dinner.

She won't make it to the M&G unfortunately.  The uncomfortable hospital bed kept her up all night.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 09:42:54 PM »
She's been sprung.  We fed and watered her.

I keep thinking she must be a plant ("fed and watered"). :D

I wish the "rose" a speedy recovery.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 02:42:19 AM »

So, here is what happened.

On Wednesday night we checked into the Marriot for Gencon and were given a newly renovated room.  What did not occur to me was that this was a newly renovated room and everything was outgassing.  Paint, carpet, furniture, everything.  In a room with no way to vent the gas building up.  And I am incredibly sensitive to that stuff.

Thursday night we went to bed after a day of con work.  I woke up to the alarm at 9 after 9 hours and sleep and felt like I hadn't had any.  I reset the alarm for 10, same.  I reset it for 11 and got up, still feeling the same.  As I was getting ready, I realized I was getting more and more unsteady, dizzy, disoriented, losing my balance.  I began talking to myself and heard myself slurring words.  I realized I was in trouble, tried to dial 911, got 977 instead, hit the 0 on the house phone, told them I thought I was having a stroke, and please call emergency services.

By the time they got there I was halucinating.  When I opened the door to the paramedics, and the hotel manager, I saw the medics, the manager, and standing between them a beautiful woman with long sandy-brown wavy hair in an astronaut's orange jumpsuit.  I explained what my symptoms were as best I could and THEY were convinced I was having a stroke.  Meanwhile, Judy Chambers who had been gofering for me had arrived, with Bill Fawcett.  Bill tool over in his usual efficient manner (and he is literally my guardian angel in this). 

By the time we got to the hospital I could barely talk and was hallucinating like it was Woodstock.  Bill and Judy were with me every step of the way, as I got EKG, EEG and MRI.  I'll tell you all about the hallucinations some time, they were doozies.  Bill stayed with me until I got a room, and the hallucinations and slurred speech started to clear.  That was when he told me about the conversation he and the hotel manager had had about the outgassing.  Bill stayed with me until about an hour after I fell asleep.

By this morning I was absolutely my old self.  By 10 AM I had convinced the GP, the Neurologists and the Toxicologists that I was good to release, and they turned me loose about noon.   Charles Borner, another friend who was in the loop (and scheduled to stay with me when Bill couldn't) brought be back over to the con, and I managed to do my scheduled signing.

I'm fine.  And incredibly grateful to all of you who were so worried, and even more grateful to Judy, Chaz and especially Bill.  I've been moved to another room, one of the first renovated, which had a 3 hour deep clean and an inspection with gasometers before  we were allowed to set foot in it.  We'll be going home Monday.

Larry has been home all this time because he has a bad shoulder injury that exacerbated some upper spinal problems he had.  Poor baby is actually worse than I am.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 11:22:32 PM »
Thank goodness you've recovered, VV, and thank goodness the hotel was so reponsive over the problem and made sure to move you to a safer room for you. 

I, like so many of your fans, was really worried for you.  Glad you up and at 'em again!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 07:19:28 AM »
Why no ossifer, my room was outgassing, and you can tell that to that snot-nosed rabbit behind you.

glad to heasr everything to back to normal.