Community > General Discussion

COH & WildStar Closures - An Alternate Viewpoint from the Inside (MMORPG.com)

(1/2) > >>

Ultimate15:
https://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm?read=49799&ismb=1

This is essentially a rumor report about an anonymous poster (?) whom is stating the following...

"...According to the anonymous poster, NCSoft is RUMORED to have shut down Paragon Studios "because they tried to pull a fast one on NCSoft". Ostensibly, NCS handed a large sum of money to Paragon to develop City of Heroes 2, but the money was reportedly used on another project instead, according to exChua. "Paragon Studios basically took the money, pretended to work on CoH2, but in actuality started building a completely unrelated IP, writes exChua in the statement posted at Kotaku."

How do we feel about this? It's hard to give credibility to a complete stranger on the internet. Like, really hard.

-Psi-:

Victoria Victrix:

--- Quote from: Ultimate15 on September 16, 2018, 01:37:00 PM ---https://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm?read=49799&ismb=1

This is essentially a rumor report about an anonymous poster (?) whom is stating the following...

"...According to the anonymous poster, NCSoft is RUMORED to have shut down Paragon Studios "because they tried to pull a fast one on NCSoft". Ostensibly, NCS handed a large sum of money to Paragon to develop City of Heroes 2, but the money was reportedly used on another project instead, according to exChua. "Paragon Studios basically took the money, pretended to work on CoH2, but in actuality started building a completely unrelated IP, writes exChua in the statement posted at Kotaku."

How do we feel about this? It's hard to give credibility to a complete stranger on the internet. Like, really hard.

--- End quote ---

Basically, only someone who sucks down QAnon and Alex Jones conspiracies with their daily morning beverage is going to believe an "anonymous" poster.

Codewalker:
Everything I've heard from former rednames who would be in a position to know (some directly, some through intermediaries) is 100% consistent with what pohsyb posted.

COH2 was pitched a couple of times, but it was years before the game closed. NCSoft rejected the proposal both times.

I don't know the exact funding source of the two non-COH projects that Paragon had in development at the time the studio was closed, or what levels of approval they had received from management in Korea. It's possible there might be some small grain of truth if there was a miscommunication and the top level wasn't fully aware of what was being worked on. However I can definitively say they did not divert funds from COH2, because such a project was never green-lit in spite of multiple attempts.

Since the rumor got that much of a fundamental detail wrong, it makes me extremely skeptical about the rest of it.

Ultimate15:
Grateful that Pohsyb came forward and said their peace. When things like this get started, only insiders can really clear up the crock that other supposed 'insiders' are trying to stir up. Also, I noticed that in the Reddit thread where Pohsyb commented, the OP had a link with 'Proof that he is a dev'... but the link makes no mention of him having worked on City of Heroes and/or being affiliated w/ Paragon Studios in any way...

It really does make you wonder: what does this former dev think they have to gain by coming forward with something so fictitious as this? Were they just looking for their 'moment' so they would be on the tip of everyone's tongue for a couple weeks...? Are they trying to keep a job w/ future NCSoft titles by publicly defending them (even when other devs are stepping forward to prove them wrong)?

Regardless, I thought I had smelled a rat. Because really... if it were the Paragon Studio devs whom were mis-allocating funds and not putting certain products into production, then why wouldn't NCSoft come forward with that? That would've put them in a good light, and the 'blame' for the death of the game wouldn't have solely been with them.

So many loop holes  :roll:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version