Author Topic: How many "Spiritual Successors" are there for City of Heroes??  (Read 4201 times)

Ron P

• Minion
How many "Spiritual Successors" are there for City of Heroes??
« on: September 30, 2018, 07:34:28 PM »
Obviously, there is City of Titans, then Ship of Heroes, Apparently Heroes and Villains and Valiance?? Are there more? And how many ways can you split a spirit anyway?
It seems like some of these companies should be combining forces if you will and work on a single game. If all those came out about the same time some if not all could fail by splitting the player base 5 or 6 different ways. Which one legitimately is close to a good solid alpha if not a beta? How many clearly tanked (pun intended) long ago? Which should we be following their progress? I am mostly following City of Titans and Ship of Heroes but these others are also coming out allegedly. What's the scoop on each of these of actual status as of today and the future within a few months? I would be ok with a simple beta in A zone just to get an idea that the thing is actually going to happen.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: How many "Spiritual Successors" are there for City of Heroes??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
Also SEGS.

Valiance is in investor Alpha, right now.

I think Redside is deadside.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 06:15:56 PM »
Obviously, there is City of Titans, then Ship of Heroes, Apparently Heroes and Villains and Valiance?? Are there more? And how many ways can you split a spirit anyway?

You can split the spirit as many times as there are angels on the head of the pin you use for the splitting.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 07:29:17 PM »
Also SEGS.

Valiance is in investor Alpha, right now.

I think Redside is deadside.

The last that I heard, Ship of Heroes is in investor alpha, as well. They plan to start open beta toward the end of December - less than three months from now - and the earliest realistic release date is December of 2019 (if all goes well, of course).

As for H&V... SoH, VO and CoT have all provided videos of character creators, and of characters running around in game zones, which is evidence of games under development. But, looking at the H&V website, all I've found is some less-than-ten-seconds videos of character-movement concepts, a lot of concept art, and innumerable weekly "updates". But I've not found anything that would lead me, as a potential investor, to believe that someone's working on a game. I'd love to have H&V as a viable successor to try out, believe me. But, looking dispassionately at what IS there after all of this time, there's nothing that I've found that couldn't have been created by a talented artist in order to fool people into giving money to him in the hope of getting a game. Someone at H&V, PLEASE, create toons, and run them through the game zones on camera! Give us in-game videos of your progress! Show us that the project is alive and producing results! The other three have - even SEGS has! Give us hope! To quote Fox Mulder's poster, "I WANT TO BELIEVE!"
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 02:05:30 AM »
That's about the size of it.  City of Titans looks promising even though it's taking longer than expected, Valiance Online started out further along, Ship of Heroes came out of nowhere and looks surprisingly good, and Heroes and Villains has almost nothing to show despite being in development almost as long as CoT (it was started by a splinter group of CoT devs only a few months after CoT).

I don't count SEGS as a spiritual successor, since it's literally using the CoH game client.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 04:07:55 AM »
Neither do I. A successor is a replacement, and CoH can't replace itself.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:49:47 AM »
That's about the size of it.  City of Titans looks promising even though it's taking longer than expected, Valiance Online started out further along, Ship of Heroes came out of nowhere and looks surprisingly good, and Heroes and Villains has almost nothing to show despite being in development almost as long as CoT (it was started by a splinter group of CoT devs only a few months after CoT).

I don't count SEGS as a spiritual successor, since it's literally using the CoH game client.
SEGS looks like CoH's Project 1999, which I consider the only viable spiritual successor of EverQuest.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Ron P

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 02:02:01 AM »
Neither do I. A successor is a replacement, and CoH can't replace itself.

I don't either. I will welcome it with open arms if it happens but it is just getting COH back up and running as opposed to a successor.

Ron P

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 02:22:46 AM »

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 05:23:41 AM »
I don't either. I will welcome it with open arms if it happens but it is just getting COH back up and running as opposed to a successor.
Precisely. And I, too, would be eager to play it again - even with the successors around. The more, the merrier.

Ron P

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 08:45:29 PM »
Precisely. And I, too, would be eager to play it again - even with the successors around. The more, the merrier.

The more the merrier ... some that come will fall because the market place is split. None of these are major company releases. A couple might do fine. we will see