Author Topic: Venom  (Read 2152 times)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Venom
« on: October 09, 2018, 06:13:37 AM »
This is another one of those movies where you should ignore the negative early reviews and such. Just go see it.

I figured it'd would be decent, but I actually greatly enjoyed the movie. I've mentioned before that my girlfriend really isn't into comics, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. She was on the fence about this one, and she loved it.

So like I said, just go watch the movie yourself and make up your own mind.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Venom
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 12:52:18 PM »
I'll wait for it to hit streaming.  Even ignoring bad reviews it's looked bloody terrible from the first trailer. Not worth a trip to the theatre.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
I saw the movie opening weekend and it was terrible. They can't have a Venom movie without Spider-Man. This movie is literally a turd in the wind. 
Spoiler for Hidden:
Woody Harrelson: "When I get out of here there will be Carnage" :roll:

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 05:34:04 PM »
I saw the movie opening weekend and it was terrible. They can't have a Venom movie without Spider-Man. This movie is literally a turd in the wind. 
Spoiler for Hidden:
Woody Harrelson: "When I get out of here there will be Carnage" :roll:

I agree. Venom is so linked to Spider-Man it makes little sense to have him on is own.

They were able to link the two in Spider-Man 3 and still had the symbiote as an alien entity.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:29:58 PM »
I agree. Venom is so linked to Spider-Man it makes little sense to have him on is own.

They were able to link the two in Spider-Man 3 and still had the symbiote as an alien entity.

They were under the same roof back then. I believe the lack of Spider-man has to do with the deal between Sony and Marvel, and how Spider-man is being used in the MCU. I really didn't find his absence that jarring. Out of 6 Spidey movies, Venom only shows up in one. And it's not like they made it to where it'd be impossible to link the "Venom-verse" to the rest of the movie continuity if Sony and Disney felt so inclined.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 09:53:21 PM »
That would be the difference between someone coming at this from the viewpoint of a moviegoer vs. a comic book reader, I suppose.

If you're a big fan of the movies but haven't really spent much time digging into comic books, Venom probably stands pretty well as a character all on his own.

If your first introduction to the character was in the comics, though, you're probably going to have a really hard time separating the symbiote from the spider.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »
That would be the difference between someone coming at this from the viewpoint of a moviegoer vs. a comic book reader, I suppose.

If you're a big fan of the movies but haven't really spent much time digging into comic books, Venom probably stands pretty well as a character all on his own.

If your first introduction to the character was in the comics, though, you're probably going to have a really hard time separating the symbiote from the spider.

I guess I would fall in the first catagory as my first introduction to the character was the 90s Spider-man Animated show. I don't really remember Venom being a big part of that show.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 03:07:59 PM »
I'm not so sure the Spider-Man thing even applies anymore. Marvel has spent the greater part of the past decade turning Venom, in the comics, into his own thing apart from Spider-Man. He's been government agent, space adventurer, Avenger, etc.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 11:57:18 PM »
I'm not so sure the Spider-Man thing even applies anymore. Marvel has spent the greater part of the past decade turning Venom, in the comics, into his own thing apart from Spider-Man. He's been government agent, space adventurer, Avenger, etc.

This is true but his basic look and powers were because he was bonded to Spider-Man. So for me there will always be that connection.