Author Topic: Fallout question  (Read 4753 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Fallout question
« on: December 11, 2018, 01:30:39 AM »
I've been watching a "Let's Play Fallout 4" series on YT. Does anyone know if Fallout 3 or 4 offers a way to shut off the profanity in the game - to play a sort-of "sanitized for television" version?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Fallout question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 02:19:05 AM »
3 didn't unless someone made a mod for it. Can't speak to NV or 4 but I think they're all M rated. Post-nuclear society tends to use its swear jars for homemade booze.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 03:05:53 AM »
A pity. I know that it's odd, these days, but that's me; I don't like profanity. It's the same with the Die Hard series and other, similar movies - I've long wanted to have professionally-made DVDs of action movies without the profanity.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 05:07:21 AM »
3 didn't unless someone made a mod for it. Can't speak to NV or 4 but I think they're all M rated. Post-nuclear society tends to use its swear jars for homemade booze.

I can speak about FO4. No Fire you cannot turn off the profanity in it. Just like Vee and three, unless there is a mod for it. Sorry.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:15:07 AM »
I haven't used these mods myself, but a quick search online yielded these profanity filters for FO3, NV, and FO4.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/14159
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/48842
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/54/

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 07:32:51 PM »
Thank you! Next question: was Fallout 3 ever released entirely on self-contained install media (with or without the DLC add-on scenarios), or has it always been necessary to download the bulk of the game proper? I really hope that it's the former, because, if it becomes necessary to re-install it three or four years down the road, I'd really rather not have to remember an account log-in and beg a company for another copy of a game that I bought. (Okay, yes, I'm old.)

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 01:34:53 AM »
A quick search of ebay says yes. (Be sure to get the GOTY version though as the combined DLC is practically a whole other game's worth of content.) But why you wouldn't just get it on steam or gog (wait for a sale or bundle. they come around quite often. can often get 1-new vegas + tactics for under 10 bucks.) is beyond me. You can set up 2-factor verification so you can always access the account with your phone. That's quite a bit more future proof than counting on always having a media drive on your pc.

Or are you trying to be meta and actually going to only be playing this in a bomb shelter or something?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:10:28 AM by Vee »