Author Topic: Another way to preserve City of Heroes  (Read 1444 times)

Eikon

• Underling
Another way to preserve City of Heroes
« on: December 11, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
Hi All,

I'm thinking of other ways to preserve and memorialize City of Heroes (in addition to all of the amazing initiatives already in progress), and came up with the idea where visitors could explore a "Titan Icon"-like City of Heroes landscape that was populated by preserved stories and memories provided by original players.  Kind of like an interactive museum.  Imagine if some of the stories shared on this board could be read or encountered (through maybe bots or plaques) by users as they wandered through server-less City of Heroes maps. 

I think that Titan Icon might be best suited for something like this.  Given that the Titan Icon install is over 4 gb, I'm thinking that in-browser emulation is a pipe dream at this point in time.  What about a downloadable branch of Titan Icon that featured embedded stories and memories from the community?

I just wanted to throw this out there to see what people thought and what kind of interest the community might have in such a project.  I'm open to all forms of suggestions and criticism from this community, as--really--it's the players of City of Heroes who own its history.  If you think it's a stupid idea (or technically impossible), please let me know!

Any feedback would be great!
Thanks!
-eikon

GamingGlen

• Boss
Re: Another way to preserve City of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 10:38:51 PM »
Meh. Another splinter that even less people will use.

I'd rather have what little coding effort we do have go into Icon or Paragon Chat.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 03:24:08 AM »
Could it be made as some type of mod package that users of Icon or Paragon Chat could simply download and stick in a folder inside one of those programs for it to work? If the answer is yes, then you wouldn't be taking away from an existing project, you'd be adding something to it as optional content. Users of Paragon Chat already enjoy other types of optional content via community mods.

And I'd much rather see something like that go in Paragon Chat, in case users ever wanted to install the mod and go on a history tour together.

And since you're open to suggestions, I'd love to see a version of the mod that only had official location and character histories, timelines, in-game news articles from the old website (Paragon Wiki still has copies) and maybe some developer commentary dug up from the internet; rather than have to enjoy all of that great official lore alongside a bunch of "My SG had so much fun farming here lol" community stuff. Not saying I wouldn't ever want to do the latter, just saying I like options. ;)

Eikon

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 05:36:04 AM »
Thanks for the feedback so far from GamingGlen and Captain Electric!  Both are absolutely valid responses and hint at the diverse interests of this community!  It's certainly important to focus time and resources on existing initiatives like Paragon Chat, but optional/modular content to those initiatives might also enrich them (and the community) in unexpected ways!

Any other options and suggestions are welcome!

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 04:09:38 AM »
Its a shame the game ended when it did.

I could easily see a mobile version for phones or Ipads.

Or like DC and Marvel - have mobile game variations - card battles, match 3, a fighting type game like Injustice or Contest, a turn based team combat.