Author Topic: face masks - a failure?  (Read 142 times)

GamingGlen

• Boss
face masks - a failure?
« on: January 02, 2019, 10:41:22 PM »
Are face masks now worthless with facial recognition software, which is sure to improve in the future?

Can a full conforming mask still hide the individual?   Coiuld the future provide masks with some electronic countermeasures, say a fuzzing effect against other electronic detecting or measuring devices yet the mark 1 eyeball is not affected?

I ask this as I ponder a new costume: to mask or not to mask.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: face masks - a failure?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 02:58:34 PM »
I'm thinking no.

https://www.cnet.com/news/facial-recognition-software-inaccurate-in-98-of-metropolitan-police-cases-reports/

Inaccurate in 98 percent of cases.

Plus masks can be made to alter what the cameras think they're seeing. They can only really be sure of a limited number of points to measure, like eyes. Masks can change the perceived dimensions of eyebrows, cheekbones, chins, foreheads, etc. And then there are the more loose-fitting masks.

And think of a mask like Spidey's. No way is any facial recognition software ever getting through that.

I'm not sure how "real" this was, but I did once see a procedural TV show (I think maybe it was NCIS) where the criminals used something that radiated infrared in all directions that made a blindspot for cameras. Cameras were only able to see a big blob of white where the head was.

Something like this:
https://odditymall.com/justice-caps-hide-your-face-from-surveillance-cameras

Two things about costume design:
1. Throw practicality out of the window. It's ALL about style.
2. To quote the Dread Pirate Roberts on masks, "It's just they're terribly comfortable."

Hero side of Paragon, I don't think it matters one way or another. Characters are registered legal authorities. You actually carry a license (like a drivers license) to look and act the way you do. And Villain side, it just doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:59:13 PM by MyriVerse »
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!